Discussion of Kobe breaking the all-time missed fg record

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Discussion of Kobe breaking the all-time missed fg record 

Post#1 » by Bubstubbler » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Is that topic simply off-limits?

There have been a couple of threads dedicated to it (it's a legit all-time record, so obviously it should have its own thread just like if someone were to break the all-time turnovers record, all-time fouls record, or any other majorish all-time record), but both threads have been quickly locked in cringe-worthy gambits to prevent any negative discussion of Kobe. It's unclear whether we're not allowed to discuss it at all, or whether we're just not allowed to have a dedicated thread about it.

It's interesting to note that if the same standards for locking were applied to other threads, about 95% of all threads would be quickly locked since they, too, may (and usually do) lead to negative posts that would hurt an overly sensitive fan of some player/team.

If someone breaks the all-time record for most fouls, I'd want a thread about it.
If Philly breaks the all-time record for fewest wins in a season, I'd want a thread about it.
etc, etc, etc, etc. Such topics are interesting to me (and to many others), just like 'positive' threads about breaking the all-time 3's record, etc are interesting.

There are tons of 'negative' records that would be worthy of a thread when they're broken, and it's a real shame to not be allowed to discuss them. (though I strongly suspect that those other 'negative' discussions would be allowed, and that a special exception is being made regarding Kobe breaking an all-time 'negative' record; that double standard is a large part of why those locks strike such a bad chord with me)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Re: Discussion of Kobe breaking the all-time missed fg recor 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:23 pm

It's not the topic itself that is the problem, it's the posters who can't play nice IN that topic, and immediately degenerate into baiting and the like. The second thread was locked because it was a re-creation of a locked thread, which is not permitted. If people could talk about it without being children, then it would have remained open, because it is indeed a topic worthy of discussion.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Re: Discussion of Kobe breaking the all-time missed fg recor 

Post#3 » by Howard Mass » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:44 am

Thanks for answering this tsherkin.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions