New front page

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!

Do you like the new front page?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 77

Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Re: New front page 

Post#21 » by Andi Obst » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:44 pm

CR Reina wrote:The biggest reason we decided to do a redesign was to optimize for mobile. The entire site is far easier to use on mobile and the message boards in particular once they go live.

That sounds really good!
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#22 » by DoubleLintendre » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 pm

It's really different.. took a little digging to find the boards on my phone. It looks newsy which is good for headlines. I did like it more before, but this sort of update happens all the time. We'll all eventually adjust.

Still have to test it out on a desktop computer.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,795

Post#23 » by dirkforpres » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Hate it, but ill adjust. All of my complaints have already been listed (message boards, etc.)
FIRE JASON KIDD
EntropyPR
Banned User
And1: 2,381

Post#24 » by EntropyPR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:01 pm

While I get the optimization for mobile, it is essential now-a-days, I'm not a fan of the look. Looks like you guys wanted to go "flat" but went too flat. I liked the old icons for the different sports, one of the things that drew my attention to this site a few years ago.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#25 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:11 pm

Thought this was about tapatalk for a second
rcfc1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,586

Post#26 » by rcfc1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:13 pm

CR Reina wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. Please continue to let us know what you think so we can make adjustments over the coming weeks.

The main page has all of the direct links to the message boards that the old site had as well. It also lists the newest threads from The General Board. The last thing we want to do is minimize the message boards and the overall ease of use. The message board redesign will launch in a few days.

The biggest reason we decided to do a redesign was to optimize for mobile. The entire site is far easier to use on mobile and the message boards in particular once they go live.

I'll have to try this when I get home. May change my opinion, because the site is pretty difficult for mobile users.
floppymoose wrote:I'm starting to see the value of adding Durant.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#27 » by Jvaughn » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Gotta be honest, the Bulls forum and the GB are permanently stuck in my history, so I hadn't noticed any changes. Had this thread not been created, I doubt I ever would've noticed a new front page.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#28 » by thinktellectual » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:26 pm

SlobbaN wrote:
Imon wrote:You know what...?
I voted no and I do dislike it but people seem to forget this happens all the time to other websites.

Whenever Youtube changes things to their website people cry foul then life returns to normal after awhile. I bet there are some people here who don't remember when Youtube had a 5-star rating system.

Yeah but that's nothing compare to how inconvenient this has become. Now I have to scroll like billion times to be able to see all the news and articles. Before it was just all there, you go to the website and you see everything right there. Also you have to go to the forums and then click like 5 times on different topics before you get to the forum you need. Before it was just one click, boom - you're there.

It also looked nicer and warmer, now it's just all white and and cornery, like a hospital ward, seriously what sort of design is that?! I'm sure there are more turrible things to it, I just haven't discovered them all.

You need to get accustomed to the url bar of your browser.
I only need to go to Chrome's bar and type F and it offers me:
forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=6
forums.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=20

I guess for some facebook would be first, but then you either select the 2nd result, or you type FO
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#29 » by theTHIEF » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:30 pm

irie wrote:
theTHIEF wrote:hard to believe that the 2004 version of this site was and is leaps better than the last 3 or 4 incarnations.

http://web.archive.org/web/200407150711 ... ealgm.com/

Looking at the site in 2004, I don't really agree with you there. What is better about it?

Guess you had to be there. It was more board oriented, wasn't as cluttered, news was easy to delineate etc.
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#30 » by 83SixersRocked » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:43 pm

It's not bad. The main story could be blocked out a little better IMO, but the main improvement for me is that the site doesn't force me to mobile when using Opera. I turned off Flash in Firefox awhile ago just because the site was hosing it too often. I continued to use Firefox for realgm, and use Opera for any embedded YouTube videos.

The only thing I really dislike is the sub-headings, but it's another thing that's just personal preference. The sub-headings make it look like one of those sites where you don't know what's an ad and what's a valid link within the content.
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#31 » by RIP Kobe » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm

CR Reina wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. Please continue to let us know what you think so we can make adjustments over the coming weeks.

The main page has all of the direct links to the message boards that the old site had as well. It also lists the newest threads from The General Board. The last thing we want to do is minimize the message boards and the overall ease of use. The message board redesign will launch in a few days.

The biggest reason we decided to do a redesign was to optimize for mobile. The entire site is far easier to use on mobile and the message boards in particular once they go live.

Can't even access the raptors board from the main page.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#32 » by dautjazz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Don't use the main page much, though it's good for headlines, like when I found out about Rondo being traded. It would be nice if the biggest head line had a short paragraph, instead of just one line. Otherwise, it's a little ugly, but it's definitely simplistic, which can be good.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#33 » by CR Reina » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:54 pm

CountOnAlex wrote:

Can't even access the raptors board from the main page.

If you scroll over the 'Forums' link in the sub-menu, you will see 'NBA Teams' listed first and then organized by division so you can go directly to the team you want. You can also do this on mobile.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,943

Post#34 » by tsherkin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:37 pm

So, from a desktop platform browsing perspective...

I can't say I enjoy the new look. The color scheme, the layout, it looks choppy and not so well designed.

Love the function of the forums, but the front page is not my favorite thing. Responsive design is nice and everything, but frankly, I don't use TapaTalk, and I wouldn't use a mobile version of RealGM if given the option, because mobile sites usually suck a lot of ass.

The front page shouldn't be the same as a mobile site, they should be on separate sub-domains and designed differently. The mobile site should also be optional, FWIW, because a lot of the times, they suck compared to the normal site. I am forever glad that b-ref.com gives you the option to drop a ?mobile=false in the URL to avoid their horrendously bad mobile site.

The RealGM main page now looks like the Wiretap, which isn't a good thing. It should contained to menus for neatness and ease of navigation. That bottom frame is also expanded far too much.

I love that RealGM is constantly adapting and trying to improve, but this one was a step back, I think.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#35 » by pbj » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 pm

I really dislike the new responsive design - I come to RealGM to feel like I'm in the 90s again, and this kind of technology is not compatible with Netscape Navigator 3.0

But really, I like it.
NiqtheAntiq
Senior
And1: 227

Post#36 » by NiqtheAntiq » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:35 pm

This was done for mobile guys, the old main page would reloop on Windows Phone constantly.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#37 » by kingkirk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 pm

What i really want to know is did Drake have any involvement with this at all or not?
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#38 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 pm

The forums need a redesign more than the first page, most of the active users here are going to the forums. They will use the wiretap headline feature (in the forums) to click a news story. I maybe go on the front page every now and then. I have no real issue with the layout itself I just think priorities were backwards.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#39 » by threrf23 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I really dislike responsive web design in general. It creates a less consistent experience between PC & mobile; 'responsive' is currently a big buzzword in web design but IMO it's a fad that will inevitably be recognized for the farce that it is. Modern mobile web browsers have adapted completely in terms of rendering web pages as they would render on a PC, they already respond to web pages such that the pages don't have to respond to the browser.

When on a responsive site, for me at least, it's like going back in time to watered-down WAP websites. Maybe the new result is more intuitive to those who only browse on mobile or who have yet to grasp the concept of pinch to zoom, or who are not sophisticated enough to know how to edit their browser display settings, but it is less intuitive, at the very least, in the sense that the re-formatting results in a different layout than I am used to, and suddenly I have to familiarize myself with multiple versions of a site. Not to mention it sucks not being able to zoom, and such.
Talclipse
Junior
And1: 70

Post#40 » by Talclipse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Looks AWFUL on Mobile!!!!! Atleast have an option to view the classic site.DO NOT LIKE THE NEW FRONT PAGE!!!

Return to Feedback and Suggestions