realgm ads SUCK!

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,978

realgm ads SUCK! 

Post#1 » by Chi town » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Dont' know about you but I can't even attempt to read the boards with my iphone as the screen scrolls endlessly with an ad and no x to close it. Dumb. I know you want to make money but dont' sell your soul. I am def. logging on less and interacting less.

Now, on my desktop after 5 mins on the page the page is taken over for a 45 sec ad that you can't close out of.

I thought it was annoying when the ads in the upper right hand corner automatically started with full audio after about 10 mins on the board and have completely put my computer on mute to ignore them.

This. Is. Much. Worse. Dont' want to go but I feel like I am being asked to eat vegetables that I dont' eat. Won't eat them.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Re: realgm ads SUCK! 

Post#2 » by Flopper » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:20 pm

If you have a rooted Android phone you can install an app called AdAway. Instead of being a conventional ad blocker that runs within your browser, it instead routes traffic for common ad domains (e.g. ad.doubleclick.net) to the loopback IP of your device via hosts file. This effectively blocks all ads on your phone, assuming the source lists are up to date and you've run the updater.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,471

Post#3 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Adblock bro
WIN
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,821

Post#4 » by WIN » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah, for me it's not really ads, but gifs, videos, etc. that get annoying while they're loading. I always need to stop the page from fully loading in order to quickly read through a page.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#5 » by 6_Rings » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:51 pm

the Realgm APP is ur friend
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#6 » by League Circles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Bull523 wrote:the Realgm APP is ur friend

RealGM app has it's own significant limitations. Sure it loads fast but it's way harder to quote and edit properly and there is no convenient way to see notifications I don't think.

Using this website on my phone has become a crappy experience, I agree with the OP.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,826

Post#7 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Yeah the mobile Ads are unbearable.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Post#8 » by dumbell78 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 pm

I thought I was the only one. Sucks if I'm not on my PC.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,308

Post#9 » by Stratmaster » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 pm

I disable the flash viewer when I am going to be on realGM for a while. seems to do the trick.

Part of the issue also has to do with how many GIFS/Vids are posted by posters on a page. I love seeing them...but at times I have to turn them off when I am on a topic where people are quoting a lot of posts with gifs and vids. Not sure why that is so bad on this site....I don't have issues elsewhere.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#10 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Download Tapatalk. It's not as good as it used to be when it was a paid app, but it's the best way to view forums without ads interrupting and wasting mobile data.

For desktop, if you have Chrome get Adblock.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#11 » by Proven_Winner » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:28 pm

I agree with OP it sucks on iPhone.

It sucks when I come just to check a thread and a ad takes over the page and redirects from the website to the App Store for whatever crap app they want me to use.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#12 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 am

Wait I don't have this ad problem on my android phone with chrome... and I don't have ad blocking software on there. What's different with you guys?
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,449

Post#13 » by samwana » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:23 am

I use tapatalk as well and it's a nice experience for me. I'll take a look at chrome again though to see if that got better.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#14 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:15 am

Stratmaster wrote:I disable the flash viewer when I am going to be on realGM for a while. seems to do the trick.

Part of the issue also has to do with how many GIFS/Vids are posted by posters on a page. I love seeing them...but at times I have to turn them off when I am on a topic where people are quoting a lot of posts with gifs and vids. Not sure why that is so bad on this site....I don't have issues elsewhere.

I did the same awhile ago as the flash stuff really bogs down the page. I use FireFox, but there's a still a lag and load issue. It loads and then still jumps around the screen. Sometimes there's also a lag in typing and also sometimes when I'm responding with a quote it will all of a sudden put my typing before the quote instead of after.
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#15 » by pwrshft99 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Wait I don't have this ad problem on my android phone with chrome... and I don't have ad blocking software on there. What's different with you guys?

Same for me.
#sadbullsfan
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,308

Post#16 » by Stratmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:02 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I disable the flash viewer when I am going to be on realGM for a while. seems to do the trick.

I did the same awhile ago as the flash stuff really bogs down the page. I use FireFox, but there's a still a lag and load issue. It loads and then still jumps around the screen. Sometimes there's also a lag in typing and also sometimes when I'm responding with a quote it will all of a sudden put my typing before the quote instead of after.

I use Firefox also and have the same issues.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,624

Post#17 » by Howard Mass » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:04 am

Is anyone still having problems?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#18 » by goober » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:45 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Is anyone still having problems?

Yes, I have. There's always this banner at the bottom of my phone that gets in the way and is really annoying till I press the close button and my phone gets taken to the AppStore from this website quite a bit. I've kind of gotten used to it, but it was very much annoying when it first started happening.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,750

Post#19 » by QUIZ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 am

Howard Mass wrote:Is anyone still having problems?

Yes, just a couple of hours ago I attempted to post about the Bronco's game on the Heat board and it was an absolute chore. Scrolling, typing, hell even loading the page took a while. The ads on iPhone make the site unbearably clunky.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,624

Post#20 » by Howard Mass » Wed Nov 4, 2015 3:14 pm

Anyone still having problems?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Feedback and Suggestions