Malware on RealGM

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Malware on RealGM 

Post#1 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sun Jan 4, 2009 8:49 pm

Guys, I got Seneka rootkit, a bunch of generic Trojans and a nasty Vundo Trojan off this website a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, it happened again. I am pretty sure I am not the only one since they had a thread about this on a general board. I am posting off a secure mac, but if this is not fixed I am gonna have to leave this web site forever.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Re: Malware on RealGM 

Post#2 » by CR Reina » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:24 am

We've been looking into this for the last week or so and Google said that there wasn't anything wrong with our site.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#3 » by UrbanLegendMD » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:23 pm

It's not the site. It's advertisers. I am trying to catch a screenshot of the ad that is corrupt, but I get a security warning before the page loads, so I cannot see it. The worst thing is it seems it redirects you to an ftp folder or something like that.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#4 » by dreamcloud » Thu Jan 8, 2009 1:00 am

Yeah someone else mentioned this on the General board awhile ago, I'm guessing it's a rogue advertisement
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#5 » by CR Reina » Thu Jan 8, 2009 2:09 am

Thank you for your help as we try to resolve this.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#6 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:50 am

I can confirm this. I had to sit on my butt at work for about an hour while IT deleted and remade my profile. So, basically I got no complaints.

But seriously I can confirm it came from ads here. Both times, I had just clicked into a forum. I block ads at home and get nothing. I shoulda wrote down what they were named. If I see it again I will post it.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#7 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Yea I can confirm that the viruses my comp had came from Real GM. Interesting to see that its from the advertisers. Now i took a long lay off from the site and comtemplated leaving for ever because of the headache it caused me trying to get this laptop fixed. Now I made some changes to the computer (added better virus protection) hopefully making it more secure. But if it happens again because of this site I will leave forever which is a shame because I love posting here. Has this virus problem been fixed or is it being fixed?
aka: prorl
momo9999
Junior
And1: 0

Post#8 » by momo9999 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:51 pm

I can confirm there is something really wrong with this site. On both of my computers, I was hit with trojans from visiting this site.

I will be visiting the forums and suddenly the browser (firefox) will be closed and a page stating about obtaining malware protection will pop up. Subsequently my Adobe PDF reader will open and close really quickly.

It's pretty sad nowadays that you can obtain viruses/trojans by just surfing the net on an updated Windows box.
Winterpeg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Winterpeg » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:15 pm

We have deactivated any advertisers that we suspect are responsible for the malware ads until we can pinpoint exactly who is responsible.

If you encounter a malicious ad again please let us know so we can remove the campaign from our ad rotation. Also, if you are able to make a note of who served the malicious ad or the site it tried linking to, it will help us figure out where the ads are originating.
momo9999
Junior
And1: 0

Post#10 » by momo9999 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 pm

I just recently got this from browsing realgm from Google Chrome today at work. Maybe this will help futher with your investigation.

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at www.realgm.com contains elements from the site www.aninteractive.biz, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.aninteractive.biz.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

Return to Feedback and Suggestions