Raptors Forum Moderators

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,610

Re: Raptors Forum Moderators 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 am

Out of a job?

Are there really people out there who think we get PAID for this?!

:lol:
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,598

Post#22 » by kyphi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:14 am

I couldn't make ends meet without my residuals.
Koosh
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Koosh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:17 pm

So it's a volunteer job, what's the difference?
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#24 » by hermes » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 pm

well a volunteer job- you don't get any pay or benefits

a regular job- there is compensation involved
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#25 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Koosh wrote:So it's a volunteer job, what's the difference?

The difference is that the way you said it implies that we OWE you something because we have a job because of you.

And that ain't true. We are just posters like you who agreed to help out because we were asked.
Koosh
Banned User

Post#26 » by Koosh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 pm

So because you're not getting paid you can do whatever you want? What you're saying is that a job is only legitimate if there's compensation involved?
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by kyphi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Our compensation is conversing with delightful persons.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#28 » by Snakebites » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:39 pm

Koosh wrote:So because you're not getting paid you can do whatever you want? What you're saying is that a job is only legitimate if there's compensation involved?

At what point did I attempt to make that assertion?

I only took exception to that ONE part of your post. I wasn't addressing your specific complaints.

I have no idea whats going on on your forum, I have no opinion about that. But I've noticed a major sense of entitlement that a lot of posters seem to have with respect to what a moderator's obligations are to them, and that part of your post seemed to fit with that.

Again, I don't know how they've done you wrong (or, indeed, if they actually have). I was just replying to the general sentiment expressed in that part of your post.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by kyphi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Dude, we are paid from their taxes. We are public servants.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#30 » by hermes » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 am

Koosh wrote:So because you're not getting paid you can do whatever you want? What you're saying is that a job is only legitimate if there's compensation involved?

within the rules of course
alexintoronto
Junior
And1: 3

Post#31 » by alexintoronto » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:07 pm

I DEMAND, that's right DEMAND that mods merge threads whenever possible instead of locking them.

(By demand I just meant I think it'd be way better, but I don't really care all that much either way :) )
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#32 » by Patterns » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:32 am

Shaazzam wrote:
Koosh wrote:I'm sorry but suggesting that users aren't customers is incredibly (Please Use More Appropriate Word). How about you ask the site administrators how they make money and what their advertisers pay for.

And you wonder why you get in trouble?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... nba_teams/
As many as 14 general managers this season will be using RealGM's Trade Builder to come up with trade ideas that fit under the salary cap. Unlike Scott Layden, who reportedly used Trade Checker to come up with trades while running the Knicks, these GMs are not using the same program as site users do.

RealGM.com, a popular basketball Web site that was founded in 2000, actually produces a software program specifically for NBA teams that helps them produce trade ideas.

The patent-pending program is called "Trade Builder," and it differs from the "Trade Checker" program that is available to everyone on their Web site in that this program actually comes up with every potential trades for a single player.

So you can bet every team that uses this Trade Builder program has been searching for all the possible matches under the salary cap with the name, Kobe Bryant.

"If you're looking to trade for Kobe Bryant, any team in the league could plug in Bryant and then see exactly who they can trade to receive him," said Todd Essman. "It will essentially give you every combination and every possible way that you can make the trade work. It does all the searching, which Trade Checker doesn't do. It

"Trade builder will build your trade, and it essentially automates all the combinations and taking into account every little nuance of the salary cap, every rule."

They sell this bad boy for $30K a pop to teams.

Thanks for playing.

Is that $30k a year or just $30k once?

I suspect that the majority of RealGM's revenue comes from advertisements.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#33 » by YogiStewart » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:30 pm

koosh,
i will keep things short and sweet.

i locked that thread because JR Smith was signed with Denver, so there was zero discussion to be had. also, there was a weekly history last season of "How About JR Smith?" threads being started and talking about the same (non)issue over and over again. therefore, the thread was, in my opinion, lockworthy.

as far as your attitude goes, you can see by the responses by mods, former mods and posters show that your complaints are, at times, laughable.
i kindly suggest you don't go around calling great long-time contributors like Shazzam "(Please Use More Appropriate Word)" if you want to earn respect on the Raptors' board or the general board.
Koosh
Banned User

Post#34 » by Koosh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 am

The fact that it took you almost two weeks to notice this in the feedback forum goes to show how good you are at what you do. And you shouldn't talk about "earning" respect on the Raptors board when in such a short time as a mod you've somehow managed to completely flush your credibility down the toilet. Like I said, don't take my word for it, just ask the users what they think and please stop talking to me about respect within the community cause I don't see you getting much.
Koosh
Banned User

Post#35 » by Koosh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 am

I'd also like to point out that none of your fellow moderators defended our decision. They could have easily supported it and provided an explanation on your behalf but nobody chose to comment. Wanna know why?
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by kyphi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:03 pm

We respect him enough to know he has the judgement to make good decisions.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#37 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

Koosh wrote:I'd also like to point out that none of your fellow moderators defended our decision. They could have easily supported it and provided an explanation on your behalf but nobody chose to comment. Wanna know why?

I can tell you why, because we stand by his decision and can show him enough respect to let him reply himself.

He doesn't need us to step in for him, he knows what he is doing, and the Raps Mod team supports him with each decision he makes.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#38 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:37 pm

Guys,

The Raptors Moderators do a wonderful job to make our Raptors forum what it is.

I stand behind them and their decisions.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#39 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Koosh wrote:The fact that it took you almost two weeks to notice this in the feedback forum goes to show how good you are at what you do. And you shouldn't talk about "earning" respect on the Raptors board when in such a short time as a mod you've somehow managed to completely flush your credibility down the toilet. Like I said, don't take my word for it, just ask the users what they think and please stop talking to me about respect within the community cause I don't see you getting much.

Koosh wrote:I'd also like to point out that none of your fellow moderators defended our decision. They could have easily supported it and provided an explanation on your behalf but nobody chose to comment. Wanna know why?

because you've been posting non-stop on this thread and seem quite angry, and because you don't seem to accept counter arguments given by other mods, posters or retired mods.

sometimes silence is the best response.
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#40 » by WesWesley » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:07 am

Howard Mass wrote:Guys,

The Raptors Moderators do a wonderful job to make our Raptors forum what it is.

I stand behind them and their decisions.

You realize what the Raptors forum is right?

I rarely post there anymore, whereas, it's probably where i got 95% of my first 2500 posts.

Most of the good posters are gone too, or rarely post.

It's a good source for quick information, but it's definitely one of the worst boards to post on IMO.
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup

Return to Feedback and Suggestions