All Advertising Questions

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM
And1: 13,403

Re: All Advertising Questions 

Post#61 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:37 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I agree, these are horrible. I'm getting complaints from several and that's the first time I've ever been PM'd about ads.

Absolutely intrusive and you can't get rid of it. Personally ads like this would make me not come back.

They are the most intrusive ads I have ever come across on any website. Makes using the website problematic.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,373

Post#62 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 am

Agreed, you can do some ad blocking on your browser but it's a pain in the ass and most people don't know how to do it.

These type of ads seriously should be banned on this site.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
yanksknicks101
Veteran
And1: 262

Post#63 » by yanksknicks101 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Please get rid of these Axe ads. It's so annoying to have to close it that i don't even want to visit the site cause of it at the moment, and I'm sure my sentiments are shared by a vast majority of the members. As MickeyDavis said, Im going to attempt to get an ad blocker, but we really shouldn't have to get to that point. Thank you.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#64 » by WiscoKing13 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:09 pm

So this is realgm's response to the lockout?? I realize with no off season and very little discussion about the new CBA that traffic would be at an all time low. Instead of doing the smart thing and taking the time to ramp up your NFL/MLB coverage, you guys cop out and whore your website out for adds. This is a very bad move by the owners of realgm, you will turn a lot of users off and they won't come back. Its bad enough this site crashes every year during the NBA draft.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#65 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 pm

No need for hyperbole. Ads have always been part of this site. Nothing wrong with that. Running a site like this costs money. No one is "whoring out" anything.

Now in this particular case the Axe ads are way too intrusive. In my 9+ years here I've never received complaints about specific ads before but now I have.

The Axe ads, and anything similar, need to go.
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM

Post#66 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:00 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:No need for hyperbole. Ads have always been part of this site. Nothing wrong with that. Running a site like this costs money. No one is "whoring out" anything.

Now in this particular case the Axe ads are way too intrusive. In my 9+ years here I've never received complaints about specific ads before but now I have.

The Axe ads, and anything similar, need to go.

Nothing wrong with ads. But I have never seen ads like these on any website. If they have to be like this they should at least be able to be closed. You cannot even do that. They just keep coming back.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#67 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Agreed, bad enough you have to close them out once, they keep coming back. And again, you shouldn't have to install ad blockers in order to use this site. I'm sure realgm will do the right thing and get rid of this Axe ad and now allow ads like this again. In the meantime I'm already spending less time here than usual.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#68 » by DelaneyRudd » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:28 am

Just so you all know internet advertising is something that is sourced to a third party. The site doesn't pre-approve ads but do have a say in what types are allowed beforehand. This is a very obtrusive ad because it blocks you from your toolbar. The entire mod team is just as concerned as users, after all we are just users like you. I am confident like Mickey this will be taken care of.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#69 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:01 pm

I think Axe will lose more customers than it gains by introducing an intrusive aggravating ad campaign. It is stupid on their part.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#70 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I think Axe will lose more customers than it gains by introducing an intrusive aggravating ad campaign. It is stupid on their part.

On that note a survey from Axe popped up asking if I would use their product. I voted , as did over 53% of others, that I would NEVER use their product
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 230

Post#71 » by CR Reina » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Reposting my response from the other thread:

Thank you for the feedback. We always listen to your opinions and feedback on these issues to make sure the user experience remains optimal and that we strike a good balance.

We weren't expecting a video to accompany the toolbar and so we quickly decided to pull it soon after it appeared on Friday. The company we worked with was unable to remove it until Monday morning because they were gone for the weekend.

I agree with the sentiment that the toolbar would be more appropriate on an article page rather than the forums since there are more pageviews here.

Either way, we will continue to go without the toolbar for at least the time being even though we do see it more and more on other sites.

As an FYI, here is a partial list of ads that we do not allow and if they do appear it is without permission and we will have them removed if you let us know:

Pop-Ups
Auto-Sound Ads
Auto-Expandable Ads
Suggestive Ads
Flashing Ads
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#72 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks much appreciated
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,647

Post#73 » by Howard Mass » Thu Sep 1, 2011 12:56 pm

NP!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
RoundMoundOfRebound
RealGM

Post#74 » by RoundMoundOfRebound » Thu Sep 1, 2011 4:06 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Thanks much appreciated
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,647

Post#75 » by Howard Mass » Fri Sep 2, 2011 1:13 pm

NP!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#76 » by J~Rush » Sun Oct 9, 2011 11:46 pm

I've gotten a congratulations ad twice in the last couple of days with a really annoying "Congratulations, You won" shouted at me.

I've uploaded the ad with it circled. The previous time it was on the vertical banner ad on the right side.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/8100/capturerob.jpg
e
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#77 » by CR Reina » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:08 am

We apologize for this advertisement appearing.

We do have a policy against any ads that automatically play sound, so we're attempting to figure out how it appeared on the site. Please check back in if it appears again.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#78 » by J~Rush » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:28 am

CR Reina wrote:We apologize for this advertisement appearing.

We do have a policy against any ads that automatically play sound, so we're attempting to figure out how it appeared on the site. Please check back in if it appears again.

I just got it again, this time in the sidebar.
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/894/captureww.jpg

I don't know if it would be more helpful to click on the ad and see where it takes me and give you that info.
e
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#79 » by CR Reina » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:28 pm

There is an expandable ad from Diamond that I found and am working to get rid of.
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach
And1: 538

Post#80 » by Bleeding Blue » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 pm

I have had 2 advertisements with sound in the last 2 minutes. One was the "war of tanks" located at the top of the screen and the other one was located on the side (cant remember the ad though)
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight

Return to Feedback and Suggestions