OT: Be careful surfing RealGM (viruses/malware)

Want something added or changed? Let yourself be heard here!
andrew2good4u
Starter
And1: 104

Re: OT: Be careful surfing RealGM (viruses/malware) 

Post#46 » by andrew2good4u » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

bang! wrote:its great to have a mac

+1
Props to triplemke23
Exar Kun
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#47 » by Exar Kun » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:38 pm

dacrusha wrote:Firefox for me (except at work where our Intranet is only compatible with IE).

Here's some good advice: if you ever, ever, EVER get a popup message that says your machine has (possibly) been infected, NEVER touch that popup to click OK. As someone else said, close those popups via task manager and then do manual scan using Malwarebytes or another trusted program.

Also, I'm a firm believer in not doing scheduled virus scans... this just leads to complacency and a false sense of security. You should scan your drives manually at least once every 2 weeks.

Use Mozilla at work with IETab, you can set it so that any time you are in your intranet the tab will be rendered with the IE engine and not Mozilla. Works great for me.

For those asking about antivirus programs, try out Microsoft Security Essentials (Google it), it's free and so far it's been working well for me.
GideonRapfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#48 » by GideonRapfan » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

I hate pod 6 wrote:On another note anyone else have wonder how some people get IT jobs because I often know more than them and I'm in accounting?

Speaking as an IT person, nothing is more dangerous than an accountant who thinks he knows more than his IT people. :wink:
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#49 » by dillio » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:51 pm

The thing that doesn't make sense regarding the admin's "it's not RGM's advertisers" position is that the second time I got the popup (when I did the end-task instead of clicking cancel) the ONLY site I had open was RealGM.com. That's when I realized it was RealGM and not other sites I was suspicious about (the first time I had 5-6 tabs open).
Winggfly
Analyst
And1: 289

Post#50 » by Winggfly » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Does anyone know if Google Chrome is safe from virus on realgm??? Its been a month since I got Chrome and havent got any problems YET, so if someone knows if I should get rid of Chrome and go back to FF, please tell me because I dont want to have to deal with viruses in the future.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,137

Post#51 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Candide wrote:on a side note, which anti-virus program do you guys recommend? i use kaspersky (russian version) on one computer, but my other computer is naked and devoid of virus scanners. i used to have a campus-issued Norton Antivirus program but i noticed that it slowed everything done and required 5 minutes to load every time i turned on the computer. suggestions?

I use Avast and Ad-Aware, both are free and offer live protection with no slow-down. They've served me well for years.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#52 » by Storm Surge » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:11 am

Winggfly wrote:Does anyone know if Google Chrome is safe from virus on realgm??? Its been a month since I got Chrome and havent got any problems YET, so if someone knows if I should get rid of Chrome and go back to FF, please tell me because I dont want to have to deal with viruses in the future.

IDK how it is on PC, but Chrome Beta for Mac is not safe for the virus as it still downloads it automatically, though since it's for Mac the virus won't do anything.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,165

Post#53 » by Anatomize » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm

lostradamus wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
you literally cannot get rid of AntiVirus Pro. reformatting doesn't always get rid of it (in my case, it did not). any attempt to remove it on your own with other software may seriously rape your computer system.

Chrome, from what i understand, has its own security issues.

If you formatted your computer and it didn't get rid of Antivirus Pro, you did it wrong.

+1000

I almost fell over laughing when I read that

You shouldn't.. you may have to reformat twice to get rid of Antivirus Pro, it's true.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#54 » by CR Reina » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:40 pm

It appears as though there are already problems with the new Internet Explorer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/m ... flaws.html
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#55 » by Laker at Heart » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I just got infected - worst of all, on a coworker's computer. Out of nowhere the fake windows security center and all that stuff started popping up and urging me to buy "Antivirus Soft".

I restarted on safe mode, got rid of the exe file (located through msconfig, its name was "vrwfsftav.exe"), removed all registry entries pointing to that file and disabled the proxy settings that it changes and that seems to have been enough.

I will try to get Firefox at least for RGM surfing since most internal company sites only work under Explorer. Otherwise I'll have to stop checking the site altogether, at least from work.

RGM owners really should look into this, it gives the site a really bad image.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#56 » by Howard Mass » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Laker at Heart,

Please post this in the stickied advertising thread and CR Reina will get to it.

Thanks!
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#57 » by MajorDad » Wed Mar 3, 2010 8:06 pm

Howard - about a month ago, one of the site admins came to the Bucks forum and asked us for inputs/feedback about the virus problems we've experienced on this site. That thread generated a lot of reponses from posters on our bucks forum. A lot of the responses were very positive and insightful with constructive critisim and specific examples and corrective instructions. admittedly, there were a lot of negative feedback posts as well. the site administrator who started the thread was very much in denial at first and became rather defensive about this site and its virus problems. and then, poof , the entire thread was deleted.

i'd like to know why the thread was deleted. I'd also like to know if any of the recommendations we suggested were acted upon. it would have been nice if you would have provided a second global notice to all posters, and admitted there did exist viruses from some of your advertisers and what actions you have now implemented to ensure our computer ecurity safety. i personally have a lot of virus protection, but many of your readers do not , and many people suffered a lot of hard drive losses because of your advertisers.

rather than deleting the thread, it would have been nice, and a common courtesy to thank your posters for their inputs, and also admit to all of your users a problem did exist and what actions you are taking to resolve it. A little courtesy feedback goes a long way to customer satisfaction.
MajorDad
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#58 » by MajorDad » Wed Mar 3, 2010 8:07 pm

Howard - about a month ago, one of the site admins came to the Bucks forum and asked us for inputs/feedback about the virus problems we've experienced on this site. That thread generated a lot of reponses from posters on our bucks forum. A lot of the responses were very positive and insightful with constructive critisim and specific examples and corrective instructions. admittedly, there were a lot of negative feedback posts as well. the site administrator who started the thread was very much in denial at first and became rather defensive about this site and its virus problems. and then, poof , the entire thread was deleted.

i'd like to know why the thread was deleted. I'd also like to know if any of the recommendations we suggested were acted upon. it would have been nice if you would have provided a second global notice to all posters, and admitted there did exist viruses from some of your advertisers and what actions you have now implemented to ensure our computer ecurity safety. i personally have a lot of virus protection, but many of your readers do not , and many people suffered a lot of hard drive losses because of your advertisers.

rather than deleting the thread, it would have been nice, and a common courtesy to thank your posters for their inputs, and also admit to all of your users a problem did exist and what actions you are taking to resolve it. A little courtesy feedback goes a long way to customer satisfaction.
Swift924
Sixth Man
And1: 14

Post#59 » by Swift924 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 am

think malaware is back on this site
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#60 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Swift924 wrote:think malaware is back on this site

I'm scared to use these forums and having my computer compromised.. :(
Donald Trump is an idiot.
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 951

Post#61 » by KnicksManiac » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Yeah I can only access real gm from my phone now. Cant go on from my work computer or home laptop.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#62 » by Howard Mass » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:22 am

We are working to fix the problem.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#63 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Nov 3, 2012 5:35 am

PS I'm getting full page Sex.ca ads with a naked chick (covering her breasts) on realgm. Doesn't sound like something you guys would be down with
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#64 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sat Nov 3, 2012 9:03 am

Dr Positivity wrote:PS I'm getting full page Sex.ca ads with a naked chick (covering her breasts) on realgm. Doesn't sound like something you guys would be down with

wow...

Is my email and password (for this site) in jeopardy???? If someone can be doing all this can they also be viewing my account info?
Donald Trump is an idiot.
CR Reina
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 227

Post#65 » by CR Reina » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 am

Dr Positivity wrote:PS I'm getting full page Sex.ca ads with a naked chick (covering her breasts) on realgm. Doesn't sound like something you guys would be down with

What city/state/province are you located in?

Did it cover the entire page?

Return to Feedback and Suggestions