How much do us minor league basketball players make?

Moderator: jman3134

Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

How much do us minor league basketball players make? 

Post#1 » by Storm Surge » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:11 pm

It would seem like a pretty fun job. Just play basketball and get paid, pretty low-key and no press, no pressure to perform etc.

Do most of these guys have regular jobs in addition to playing basketball or are they full-time?
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: How much do us minor league basketball players make? 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:05 pm

a few leagues are finally starting to set it up so players can have a career and play pro ball. But for the most part the money sucks, the teams are unstable, and in general minor league basketball is a mess. The best paying league (NBDL) starts players out at 12k.

It is basically like this. If you aren't going to play in the NBA or overseas you aren't going to make a living in minor league basketball. end of story.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
D up in this
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by D up in this » Wed Jul 8, 2009 8:40 pm

it does seem like it would be fun just to do it occasionally
Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be spurs fans......
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#4 » by Joseph17 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:54 am

pickIBL wrote:a few leagues are finally starting to set it up so players can have a career and play pro ball. But for the most part the money sucks, the teams are unstable, and in general minor league basketball is a mess. The best paying league (NBDL) starts players out at 12k.

It is basically like this. If you aren't going to play in the NBA or overseas you aren't going to make a living in minor league basketball. end of story.

There are probably plenty of leagues overseas that don't pay well either. I can't imagine players in African Leagues getting paid a lot.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Joana » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 am

joeyyowee wrote:
pickIBL wrote:a few leagues are finally starting to set it up so players can have a career and play pro ball. But for the most part the money sucks, the teams are unstable, and in general minor league basketball is a mess. The best paying league (NBDL) starts players out at 12k.

There are probably plenty of leagues overseas that don't pay well either. I can't imagine players in African Leagues getting paid a lot.

Angola pays better than many European leagues for example. The Tunisian league is also strong.

You're obviously right though. Many overseas league are minor league themselves.
Cuban_KILLS_us
Freshman

Post#6 » by Cuban_KILLS_us » Fri Aug 7, 2009 10:36 am

The IBL talks about paying players $60-100 per game. All the US minor leagues that pay players a full time wage --- say 30K plus each ---- appear to fail as they can never net the attendance to cover payroll and travel.

Frankly, I think it is debatable how long the NBA will keep throwing cash down the d-league money hole if 800-4000 is all the teams draw. Especailly if the great recession stretches on for years.

It is what it is. Minor league basketball in the US is a platform for NBA and foreign leagues to scout players.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Tue Jan 5, 2010 10:30 pm

You don't think that 4000 is a good drawing for a minor league team? I think that's a fairly good following all things considered.

I think what the original poster means is that you could work another job along with this one. I mean there is pressure to perform everywhere because there is always the chance you get cut. And there is a season for it, so players can get other jobs in the offseason.
MrVince
Rookie
And1: 218

Post#8 » by MrVince » Thu Jun 3, 2010 11:46 am

Do most players in the NBDL have a job outside of basketball? I'm curious.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#9 » by jman3134 » Sat Jun 5, 2010 7:44 pm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=7239948

I mean- if they want to live better, they will probably take up a job in the offseason. However, during the year, they have to travel and practice with the team, as it is a full time commitment.

$12,000-$24,000 is probably not enough to live off of.
TOMSPY77
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#10 » by TOMSPY77 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm sorry but those figures are awful, but I know of PPL who make about 12-15k a year and survive, and in these times some PPL don't even get that. And then the rent and utility's are paid? That is not great, but not shabby for playing a sport in a minor league, there are worse situations.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#11 » by TheToothFairy » Sat Aug 3, 2013 4:27 pm

TOMSPY77 wrote:I'm sorry but those figures are awful, but I know of PPL who make about 12-15k a year and survive, and in these times some PPL don't even get that. And then the rent and utility's are paid? That is not great, but not shabby for playing a sport in a minor league, there are worse situations.

It costs a lot to be a minor league ball player
silverbax
Ballboy

Post#12 » by silverbax » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:40 pm

A lot of minor league players in the U.S. get paid nothing. Some players get $75-$125 a game. The D-League pays a base of $13k per year, but you have to remember that is for a season, not a year. BUT - D-League contracts and other minor league contracts are not guaranteed.

Which means, even if you land a roster spot on a D-League team, you might play two games and get cut. That's true in almost every league except the NBA. Even leagues that are run well (Germany, Korea) usually have contracts where you could get cut at any time.

There is the new Pro Basketball Circuit (http://www.ProBasketballCicruit.com) which reportedly has a different payout structure which could be much higher than the D-League.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#13 » by Devin 1L » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm

silverbax wrote:A lot of minor league players in the U.S. get paid nothing. Some players get $75-$125 a game. The D-League pays a base of $13k per year, but you have to remember that is for a season, not a year. BUT - D-League contracts and other minor league contracts are not guaranteed.

Which means, even if you land a roster spot on a D-League team, you might play two games and get cut. That's true in almost every league except the NBA. Even leagues that are run well (Germany, Korea) usually have contracts where you could get cut at any time.

There is the new Pro Basketball Circuit (http://www.ProBasketballCicruit.com) which reportedly has a different payout structure which could be much higher than the D-League.

I'll be interested to see how this develops.

Most aren't successful, but minor league basketball in the US still sucks overall, so I think there is room for someone to be successful.

One interesting thing of note: they are based out of the one area in the US which the D-League has no teams - -the SE. They used to, but not now.

Thanks for the link.
ChosenChild11
Ballboy

Post#14 » by ChosenChild11 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:16 am

I'm just trying to make a decent squad and some decent pay.

Please Like, Share and Subscribe

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Minor Leagues