Tyronn Lue Urged Cavs Not To Fire David Blatt

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tyronn Lue Urged Cavs Not To Fire David Blatt 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 29, 2016 6:01 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers' decision to fire David Blatt shortly before the All-Star break reset their season and eventually led them to play dominating basketball in these playoffs.

When David Griffin informed Tyronn Lue of their decision to fire Blatt, the response was pointed.

"This is f----- up, Griff," Lue said To Griffin.

Griffin calmly asked Lue if he would take over as head coach.

Lue pleaded with Griffin for several minutes that firing Blatt was an excessive move considering the Cavaliers held a 30-11 record. Griffin told Lue the decision had already been made.

"What's done is done. I'm asking you if you can lead this team?" asked Griffin.

"Yeah, I can f---ing lead this team," replied Lue.

Lue reflected back to that time period following the Cavaliers' win to advance to The Finals.

"I was like, 'what the f---.' That was my initial thought," Lue told cleveland.com. "I didn't see it coming. I couldn't believe it. But, you're prepared because you've done the coaching interviews and you have your philosophies. But to fire the head coach and you take over the next day with no practice or anything and you have the Chicago Bulls coming in. It was overwhelming."

Dan Gilbert has been reluctant to comment on the firing, but finally did after Game 6.

"I just think it was a great decision that was made," Gilbert said to cleveland.com. "You never know what would happen any other way, but I think [Lue is] fantastic. It's rare that a guy knows the game and has people skills. You get both with him, like offense and defense almost. He's a special guy."

Via Chris Haynes/Cleveland Plain Dealer

TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Re: Tyronn Lue Urged Cavs Not To Fire David Blatt 

Post#2 » by TheSamMitchell » Sun May 29, 2016 9:22 pm

I love have Tyron Lue tries to come off as a badass. Dude snaked his way to the top and everyone knows it.
CouchCoach
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by CouchCoach » Sun May 29, 2016 9:33 pm

I was never the biggest fan of Blatt, but come on. Everyone is acting like if Blatt was still the coach they never would have made it back to the NBA finals. How about a quick history lesson.
1. They made the finals last year.
2. They stole two games off the GSW without Irving or Love
3. Before they fired Blatt Cleveland had the best record in the East
4. Cleveland were considered by "basketball experts and media" a unanimous pick to go back to the finals
(Side note the Media is a joke)

Not that I don't think that Lue hasn't done a good job, I actually prefer the style of basketball he has the CAVS playing and I think the team respects him more as a head coach. But lest we forget, he's yet to achieved anything Blatt hasn't already achieved, and he's doing it with a healthy team. At the end of the day if Cleveland wins a chip, the argument could always be made that they could have done is with Blatt and a healthy Irving and Love.
McKenna
Rookie
And1: 1,117

Post#4 » by McKenna » Sun May 29, 2016 10:27 pm

TheSamMitchell wrote:Dude snaked his way to the top and everyone knows it.

He made it.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,530

Post#5 » by codydaze » Mon May 30, 2016 3:23 am

Argued for "several minutes" :lol:
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Mon May 30, 2016 5:23 am

It looks like the WTF struggle ended as soon as Lue heard that he is the new head coach. :lol:
FormerCavsFan
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by FormerCavsFan » Mon May 30, 2016 11:03 am

TheSamMitchell wrote:I love have Tyron Lue tries to come off as a badass. Dude snaked his way to the top and everyone knows it.

I was following the team closely. Can confirm, it certainly seemed this way. Not that LeBron wasn't part of the equation too.
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#8 » by shmoosicle » Mon May 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Yeah, that happened. :roll:
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#9 » by xx1c1cle » Mon May 30, 2016 4:32 pm

codydaze wrote:Argued for "several minutes" :lol:

Arguing and cursing at C-levels or SVPs of a company with 190+mil in revenue/year is a career death wish. CEO and SVPs make decisions, and questioning their decisions need to be done formally and carefully. Lue got some leeway because the company needed him as a coach.
Does Lue think that Griffin didn't think through the firing of Blatt? Of course he thought it through!
Does Lue think that Griffin isn't as smart as himself? He better not think that.
If the Cavaliers don't win the championship, whose fault will it be? Damn right it's Lue's, and he'll be fired.
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,711

Post#10 » by ccvle » Mon May 30, 2016 8:42 pm

xx1c1cle wrote:
codydaze wrote:Argued for "several minutes" :lol:

Arguing and cursing at C-levels or SVPs of a company with 190+mil in revenue/year is a career death wish. CEO and SVPs make decisions, and questioning their decisions need to be done formally and carefully. Lue got some leeway because the company needed him as a coach.
Does Lue think that Griffin didn't think through the firing of Blatt? Of course he thought it through!
Does Lue think that Griffin isn't as smart as himself? He better not think that.
If the Cavaliers don't win the championship, whose fault will it be? Damn right it's Lue's, and he'll be fired.

This is not your regular corporate. So many coaches left their previous teams on bad terms but they still didn't have problems getting a new job.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue May 31, 2016 12:57 am

McKenna wrote:
TheSamMitchell wrote:Dude snaked his way to the top and everyone knows it.

He made it.

First thought... perfect response!

Second thought... is he at the top? He still has a boss and one of his players has more pull than he does. I would argue that Popovich may be at the top; Stan Van might be at the top; even Thibs might be at the top with his new situation. Lue is a figurehead at the moment and won't ever truly be at the top while coaching Lebron. If he can hold on for a few years he will have a great winning percentage so maybe he can reach the top at his next gig.

Return to Wiretap Discussion