Source: Lawrence Frank Leaning Toward Taking Next Season Off

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Source: Lawrence Frank Leaning Toward Taking Next Season Off 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Lawrence Frank is unlikely to coach next season.

Frank is leaning toward next season off to focus on media opportunities, which will allow him more time at home, according to a source familiar with his thinking.

Frank is owed $4 million by the Detroit Pistons for next season.

Via David Mayo/Michigan Live

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Source: Lawrence Frank Leaning Toward Taking Next Season 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't understand the pistons thinking. I know Lawrence told tom gores that he didn't want to be a lame duck coach and asked him to either negotiate an extension or fire him. If a coach wants to leave a team because he's not being offered extension than the team should have the ability to let him walk without further compensation. Why in the world are the pistons paying Frank money next season when the coach is contractually obligated to coach another year. Frank will make 4 million dollars next year to go on vacation. Pistons were in a perfect position to tank for one more year to land a good pick in a strong 2014 draft class. The pistons pick is protected 1-8 for 2014 with the bobcats. The pistons are also way below the cap. If I were dumars I'd sign players to one year deals or trade for expiring contracts just to be at the league's salary floor. Maintain that cap space for the loaded 2014 free agent class. The pistons could also avoid the expense of amnestying villaneueva by letting his contract just expire after the 2013/14 season. The pistons could have hired a new coach for 2014/15 season after frank's contract expired. What coach wouldn't want to coach a team of drummond, monroe, knight and hopefully wiggins/parker. That much talent would be an okc east situation, and a team that could challenge for championships as the heat got older in their conference. That team would also sellout the palace of auburn hills like the past pistons championship rosters.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#3 » by Sam195 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

Also to clarify, when I meant tank I meant pistons could end up with a record similar to this year's magic or bobcats in the realm of 20-62. Tanking bobcats style would allow them to be one of the league's worst teams and keep their pick in the top 8 in the 2014 draft maybe they even win the lottery and land a superstar talent like andrew wiggins
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#4 » by The59Sound » Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Did I just see Brandon Knight included in what's supposed to be a "dream scenario" for a coach? Come on now...
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com

Return to Wiretap Discussion