Raja Bell Works Out For Knicks, Impresses For Roster Consideration

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Raja Bell Works Out For Knicks, Impresses For Roster Consideration 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 9, 2013 2:45 am

Free agent guard Raja Bell worked out for the Knicks in New York on Monday and stood out to the point where he could receive consideration for a roster spot, a league source told RealGM.

The Knicks have been intrigued by the outside shooting and defensive versatility that Bell is known for, and they invited him into their facility on Monday. In the workouts, Bell shot well and outplayed first round draft pick Tim Hardaway Jr. in one on one drills, a source said, leaving the Knicks surprised given Bell sat out the entire 2012-13 season.

Bell, 36, always has been known as a hard worker and a positive locker room presence, but he played sparingly two seasons ago and had a falling out with the Utah Jazz. It led to him being away from the team, despite feeling healthy.

After losing Chris Copeland in free agency, Steve Novak and Quentin Richardson in trade and Jason Kidd to retirement, the Knicks have scoured the free agent for veterans to sign into their budget. For now, the Knicks have just J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert at shooting guard.

Bell averaged 6.4 points and shot 39.1 percent from three-point range two seasons ago, and he’s used the past year to elevate his fitness. With career averages of nearly 10 points and almost 41 percent from long-range, Bell has played for seven organizations in 12 years – highlighted by two 14.7 points-a-game seasons with the Phoenix Suns.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Re: Raja Bell Works Out For Knicks, Impresses For Roster Con 

Post#2 » by KnicksScholar24 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 3:01 am

He's 36 yrs old and was retired last season, so I'm sure Gruwald is looking into adding him.

(Not an encourging sign that NY's first round pick was outperformed by a retired player.)
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#3 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Tue Jul 9, 2013 11:02 am

KnicksScholar24 wrote:He's 36 yrs old and was retired last season, so I'm sure Gruwald is looking into adding him.

(Not an encourging sign that NY's first round pick was outperformed by a retired player.)

Where does it say he outperformed THJ? Stop making stuff upKS! Also Bell wasn't retired last season he and the Jazz had disagreements and they asked him to stay away from the team.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#4 » by caronimo » Tue Jul 9, 2013 5:20 pm

raja was all defensive first team in 2007 and all defensive second team in 2008, that's 5 years ago now.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#5 » by ralphie9898 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 8:15 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:
KnicksScholar24 wrote:He's 36 yrs old and was retired last season, so I'm sure Gruwald is looking into adding him.

Where does it say he outperformed THJ? Stop making stuff upKS! Also Bell wasn't retired last season he and the Jazz had disagreements and they asked him to stay away from the team.

Uh did u even read the article because it says it right in there.
mulligan1
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by mulligan1 » Tue Jul 9, 2013 8:57 pm

I was golfing this weekend on long island and caught up to a tall black guy who looked like he was in great shape. Yes, Raja Bell. Ended up playing about 10 holes with him. We talked a lot about the NBA and his situation. He seemed like a great down to earth guy. Very articulate and a pretty good golfer. He told me was going to work out for the Knicks. If he's anything like the old Raja Bell the Knicks would be lucky to have him. They need another #2 to defend guys like Wade and George. And he could always shoot the rock!

Return to Wiretap Discussion