Report: Allen Iverson To Officially Announce Retirement

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Report: Allen Iverson To Officially Announce Retirement 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Allen Iverson will officially announce his retirement from basketball in the coming days, according to a report citing a source close to him.

Iverson, 38, played his last professional basketball in Turkey in 2011. Before that, he appeared in his final NBA game, as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers, in 2010.

Iverson became one of the best guards in the history of the NBA with the Philadelphia 76ers -- especially given his size -- and won the NBA MVP award in 2001.

“He might be the greatest athlete I’ve ever seen,” said Larry Brown, Iverson’s coach from 1997-2003 and the current coach at SMU. “I don’t think there’ll be another one like him.

“I’m sure we faced a lot of obstacles, maybe even on a daily basis, but when it came time to play, to try to win a game, he tried to play as hard as he could for his coach.”

Via Tzvi Twersky/SLAM

P3JA for 3
Sophomore
And1: 4

Re: Report: Allen Iverson To Officially Announce Retirement 

Post#2 » by P3JA for 3 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:20 pm

I have a hard time believing that h will stop playing basketball. He's been playing all this time still...
Peja, Iverson, CP3, T-Mac, Starks, Artest. Will never get over how the 01-02 Kings got cheated by the refs.

http://twitter.com/Jsnwwf
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#3 » by Tdot24 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I think many considered him retired when not a single team in the NBA wanted him...
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Post#4 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I thought he retired years ago...
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#5 » by Tenchi Ryu » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Tdot24 wrote:I think many considered him retired when not a single team in the NBA wanted him...

A bunch of teams wanted him. They just wanted him to go through the D-league and apparently he wasn't trying to have that or a Bench role. Though I can't be mad at him for that, this is Allen Iverson. The dude can still drop buckets like its breathing air and could play. Oh well...
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Maybe now he will accept that proposed offer to start his indoor soccer career. I think he was offered a $10,000 bucks for each game he plays or something like that.
Ericb033
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Ericb033 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 pm

He could have retired in the league if it wasn't for his massive ego
MICHAEL_JORDAN
Banned User
And1: 124

Post#8 » by MICHAEL_JORDAN » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:20 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:I thought he retired years ago...

Me too. He was so insanely good.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#9 » by I_Love_NYK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:28 pm

I wonder how his Hall of Fame speech will be like?

I know he is already struggling financially.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#10 » by Cicero » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Allen Iverson? PSHAW. I know of many excellent guards that far outclass Iverson such as Cedric Ceballos. Anyone who thinks Iverson was even top 300 point guard in this century or anyone that is fan of Iverson is FOOL.
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#11 » by Wildcat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 pm

Bat. Meet dead horse. You may commence.
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#12 » by Phystic » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Cicero wrote:Allen Iverson? PSHAW. I know of many excellent guards that far outclass Iverson such as Cedric Ceballos. Anyone who thinks Iverson was even top 300 point guard in this century or anyone that is fan of Iverson is FOOL.

That is really stupid. And really that's all that needs to be said.
Tdot24
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Tdot24 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Cicero wrote:Allen Iverson? PSHAW. I know of many excellent guards that far outclass Iverson such as Cedric Ceballos. Anyone who thinks Iverson was even top 300 point guard in this century or anyone that is fan of Iverson is FOOL.

That's just hate talking right there. Iverson is easily one of the best guards in NBA history. Cedric Ceballos? Seriously? He played SF... :lol:

Iverson is listed as a combo guard, but mainly played SG. Which 6'0 SG do you know that's had an MVP season, in the NBA?

A.I.'s attitude got the best of him, but his talent and ability on the court is one of the best I've ever seen. Cedric Ceballos couldn't do what AI did at his height. He's never won an MVP title, let alone be considered for one. Iverson was a 4 time scoring champ and lead the league in steals 3 seasons in a row. Tell me which "excellent guard" you know can outclass that?
Tdot24
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Tdot24 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Tenchi Ryu wrote:
Tdot24 wrote:I think many considered him retired when not a single team in the NBA wanted him...

A bunch of teams wanted him. They just wanted him to go through the D-league and apparently he wasn't trying to have that or a Bench role. Though I can't be mad at him for that, this is Allen Iverson. The dude can still drop buckets like its breathing air and could play. Oh well...

True. But if it wasn't for his ego, he'd still be in the league. He could have let his game do the talking and could have possibly earned him a starting spot. Look at Andre Miller, dude is so old and still started on some nights.
Dolphin Lips
Pro Prospect
And1: 48

Post#15 » by Dolphin Lips » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:55 pm

One of my favorite players, and I hate Philly
STOP STEALING MY AVATARS

jetfuse
Junior
And1: 352

Post#16 » by jetfuse » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Without a doubt one of the greatest players to watch. I have missed him for a while and will continue to do so
23_Knows_All
Ballboy

Post#17 » by 23_Knows_All » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Iverson totally got robbed of his championship back in 2001 no thanks to David Stern and his referees.
captlopez0012
Junior
And1: 8

Post#18 » by captlopez0012 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:27 pm

23_Knows_All wrote:Iverson totally got robbed of his championship back in 2001 no thanks to David Stern and his referees.

haha, youre funny. ive heard this from kings fans (and maybe legitimately) but never a 76er fan. the 76ers stole game 1 thanks to a great performance by allen iverson. but there was never a question of who the better team was. you lost 4 straight including 3, 4, 5 all in philly. this was the 2nd championship of a 3 championship dynasty yet you say iverson, snow, and company got robbed. this same philly team never sniffed even the conference finals again. cant wait to hear your explanation on all the ways they got robbed. i see it now: "man, halfway through the 2nd quarter of game 3, kobe hit aaron mckie on the elbow and they didnt call it. ref didnt call it b/c they got paid off by the nba." haha.
23_Knows_All
Ballboy

Post#19 » by 23_Knows_All » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm

captlopez0012 wrote:
23_Knows_All wrote:Iverson totally got robbed of his championship back in 2001 no thanks to David Stern and his referees.

haha, youre funny. ive heard this from kings fans (and maybe legitimately) but never a 76er fan. the 76ers stole game 1 thanks to a great performance by allen iverson. but there was never a question of who the better team was. you lost 4 straight including 3, 4, 5 all in philly. this was the 2nd championship of a 3 championship dynasty yet you say iverson, snow, and company got robbed. this same philly team never sniffed even the conference finals again. cant wait to hear your explanation on all the ways they got robbed. i see it now: "man, halfway through the 2nd quarter of game 3, kobe hit aaron mckie on the elbow and they didnt call it. ref didnt call it b/c they got paid off by the nba." haha.

First off, i'm not even a 76ers fan, so my judgement on the 2001 finals was totally unbiased. Secondly, referees have already addmitted to unfair playcalling in those finals, even telling the public that David Stern did not like Iverson (which was a well-known fact among NBA refs) and admitting David Stern gave the go ahead to make Iverson's life miserable in most of his playoff career. So i have enough proof.
captlopez0012
Junior
And1: 8

Post#20 » by captlopez0012 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

23_Knows_All wrote:First off, i'm not even a 76ers fan, so my judgement on the 2001 finals was totally unbiased. Secondly, referees have already addmitted to unfair playcalling in those finals, even telling the public that David Stern did not like Iverson (which was a well-known fact among NBA refs) and admitting David Stern gave the go ahead to make Iverson's life miserable in most of his playoff career. So i have enough proof.

maybe im wrong i have never heard anything about corrupt officiating in 2001. upon further review, i cant find an article on the entire world wide web that even mentions nba officiating in the 2001 nba finals let alone corrupt officiating. please direct toward some shred of evidence of this b/c if it were true (or even rumored), it has been written about.

Return to Wiretap Discussion