Rasheed Working With Josh Smith On Post Moves, Veteran Leadership

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rasheed Working With Josh Smith On Post Moves, Veteran Leadership 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Rasheed Wallace has been helping Josh Smith was his transition to the Detroit area, while also working on improving his game.

“Rasheed has been teaching me some things that I need to know on the block; some veteran leadership from him," said Smith. "He has been able to show me some things. It’s always beneficial when you have a veteran guy who has played in the NBA and been successful and now they’re coaches. They can see things from a player’s and a coach’s standpoint.’’

“You don’t want him doing things he’s not used to doing,’’ Wallace said. “We’re trying to get him comfortable making the 15- to 18-foot jump shot.’’

Via Perry A. Farrell/Detroit Free Press

BadNFluenz
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Re: Rasheed Working With Josh Smith On Post Moves, Veteran L 

Post#2 » by BadNFluenz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm

seems like if anything can talk sense into him it's sheed.

green front or not, i am not that sure
__
R.I.P. 4-1-So Sick Ass Rell
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:43 pm

Nice on the post moves, but I wonder what "Veteran Leadership" he's teaching JSmith. The value of a technical foul?
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#4 » by PDX_DL0 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Lesson 1: "BALL DON'T LIE!"
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012
brucedeng22
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by brucedeng22 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:10 pm

I think sheed should be teaching greg and andre as well, for the post moves
Heatin4
Banned User
And1: 347

Post#6 » by Heatin4 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Nice on the post moves, but I wonder what "Veteran Leadership" he's teaching JSmith. The value of a technical foul?

More like on how to win a Championship like in 04. Unlike some other fraud teams out there.
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#7 » by xJumpManx » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

The Pistons are a mess they wasted their cap on Josh Smith who can not play SF with Monroe and Drummond on the court none of them are capable of hitting a jump shot. Defenses will just pack the lane and dare that trio to shoot. Jennnings is a team cancer and a volume shooter who thinks shoot first over pass. There is no doubt the Pistons got talent unfortunatly the peices do not fit and they have a second rate coach. The Pistons much like the city they represent have spent their money poorly and will struggle once again this year.
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#8 » by truthiness » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:16 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Nice on the post moves, but I wonder what "Veteran Leadership" he's teaching JSmith. The value of a technical foul?

EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#9 » by EddieJonesFan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:20 pm

xJumpManx wrote:The Pistons are a mess they wasted their cap on Josh Smith who can not play SF with Monroe and Drummond on the court none of them are capable of hitting a jump shot. Defenses will just pack the lane and dare that trio to shoot. Jennnings is a team cancer and a volume shooter who thinks shoot first over pass. There is no doubt the Pistons got talent unfortunatly the peices do not fit and they have a second rate coach. The Pistons much like the city they represent have spent their money poorly and will struggle once again this year.

They had such a good opportunity and they just squandered it. It reminds me of when they had cap space from Iverson and then just blew it on Villanueva and Gordon.
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#10 » by VintageVince » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:59 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:
xJumpManx wrote:The Pistons are a mess they wasted their cap on Josh Smith who can not play SF with Monroe and Drummond on the court none of them are capable of hitting a jump shot. Defenses will just pack the lane and dare that trio to shoot. Jennnings is a team cancer and a volume shooter who thinks shoot first over pass. There is no doubt the Pistons got talent unfortunatly the peices do not fit and they have a second rate coach. The Pistons much like the city they represent have spent their money poorly and will struggle once again this year.

They had such a good opportunity and they just squandered it. It reminds me of when they had cap space from Iverson and then just blew it on Villanueva and Gordon.

It's ok, they can trade Monroe for Rudy Gay :)
truthiness
Banned User
And1: 140

Post#11 » by truthiness » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 pm

If Ben Wallace can teach him how to shoot FT's and they bring Iverson back to teach him how to practice, he's good.
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#12 » by kobe48306 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 am

To Vintage Vince: After reading your post I can only shake my head. There is not one thing I would change on your post. This is exactly what I have been telling everyone I know in regard to the Pistons. I mean it is almost spooky that it is word for word if I made the post. GREAT JOB!
kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#13 » by kobe48306 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:43 am

EddieJonesFan wrote:

My mistake of giving the compliments to Vintage Vince. It was the Eddie Jones' post that should be given the credit. Please read the TO Vintage Vince post. It was meant for you! As a matter a fact I don't even agree with the Vintage Vince post. I believe that Monroe can be a perennial All-Star. Josh Smith will be useless as a small forward. They needed a true Small forward and not by giving up Monroe. Dumars did what he needed to do to keep his job a little longer. He did nothing to help the Pistons. Eddie Jones fan said everything that needed to be said.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#14 » by kurtis48239 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:52 am

Hmmm alot of jealous hate going around in here.
gmehl
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#15 » by gmehl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:36 am

kurtis48239 wrote:Hmmm alot of jealous hate going around in here.

Yep there sure is. I for one can see the Pistons surprising a lot of people. Will Josh Smith starting at SF be a problem for them because he is an inconsistent outside shooter? Maybe but if he can slightly improve his outside jumper then the perks of having him at SF will be his defence and rebounding. Smith along with Monroe are very good passers and I believe they will make it work. The key to doing so will be the offensive scheme that coach Cheeks employs. People also forget that Smith, Monroe and Drummond's minutes will be staggered so the 3 of them might not always be on the court together. This will allow Smith to play a lot of minutes at PF beside either Monroe or Drummond as the C. The 2 under the radar guys I feel that will push the Pistons into the playoffs will be Gigi Datome and KCP. IF they can come in and spread the floor by hitting there outside shots it will give our huge frontline plenty of room to manoeuvre.
Mag12
Ballboy

Post#16 » by Mag12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm

VintageVince wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:

That's not a good thing.
VintageVince
Rookie

Post#17 » by VintageVince » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Mag12 wrote:
VintageVince wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:

That's not a good thing.

It surely would make their team better to have Gay at SF, Smith at PF and Drummond @ C.
Mag12
Ballboy

Post#18 » by Mag12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:15 pm

VintageVince wrote:
Mag12 wrote:
VintageVince wrote:

That's not a good thing.

It surely would make their team better to have Gay at SF, Smith at PF and Drummond @ C.

Not really. I think people are too wrapped up in the fact that Smith is a pf. He can play spot minutes at sf and can play minutes at center. Between pf and center there are 96 total minutes a game, not including ot. Meaning, you could realistically play each 32 minutes and it wouldn't be a problem since Monroe and Smith can play pf and center. Of course, the minutes won't be done that evenly but that three man rotation can work. Smith's ability to play 5-10 minutes a game at sf makes this even less of an issue. I highly doubt in the long run that Smith will be the full time sf anyway.

As a far as Rudy Gay, considering his price tag, he's pretty overrated and Monroe is a better player. Having Monroe play 30-40 at pf and center is better than having Rudy Gay play 40 minutes at sf, mainly because Monroe is the better player though he'll probably never get the credit he deserves because he doesn't score a bunch of points and he plays in Detroit. There aren't many teams with a better center/pf rotation than Detroit right now, they should stick with it until they are offered a comparable wing player for one of the bigs, which Rudy Gay isn't.
VintageVince
Rookie

Post#19 » by VintageVince » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 am

Mag12 wrote:
VintageVince wrote:
Mag12 wrote:

That's not a good thing.

Not really. I think people are too wrapped up in the fact that Smith is a pf. He can play spot minutes at sf and can play minutes at center. Between pf and center there are 96 total minutes a game, not including ot. Meaning, you could realistically play each 32 minutes and it wouldn't be a problem since Monroe and Smith can play pf and center. Of course, the minutes won't be done that evenly but that three man rotation can work. Smith's ability to play 5-10 minutes a game at sf makes this even less of an issue. I highly doubt in the long run that Smith will be the full time sf anyway.

As a far as Rudy Gay, considering his price tag, he's pretty overrated and Monroe is a better player. Having Monroe play 30-40 at pf and center is better than having Rudy Gay play 40 minutes at sf, mainly because Monroe is the better player though he'll probably never get the credit he deserves because he doesn't score a bunch of points and he plays in Detroit. There aren't many teams with a better center/pf rotation than Detroit right now, they should stick with it until they are offered a comparable wing player for one of the bigs, which Rudy Gay isn't.

Maybe it's because I'm a Raptor fan, and I want Monroe instead of Gay ;)

Return to Wiretap Discussion