Jordan Won't Play Grizzlies' Owner One-On-One For Charity

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jordan Won't Play Grizzlies' Owner One-On-One For Charity 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Robert Pera challenged Michael Jordan to a charity game of one-on-one.

Pera is the 35-year-old owner of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“I think that’s comical,’’ Jordan said. “It didn’t make any sense. Why would I play one-on-one? It’s a no-win situation for me no matter what.”

Via Rick Bonnell/Charlotte Observer

kobe48306
Sophomore
And1: 13

Re: Jordan Won't Play Grizzlies' Owner One-On-One For Charit 

Post#2 » by kobe48306 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Agreed!
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#3 » by PCProductions » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, Jordan, it's definitely a "no-win" situation when it comes to donating to charity.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#4 » by therealbig3 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Yeah, it's for charity dude. I don't think anyone will really care if you win or lose. Yeah if you lose, it would be funny...but it's still 1 million dollars for charity, and don't worry, nothing'll happen to your legacy.

And if you win, your fanboys will post the video everywhere and talk about how you could still play today.

Looks like a no-lose situation to be honest.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#5 » by IMAN5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm

PCProductions wrote:Yeah, Jordan, it's definitely a "no-win" situation when it comes to donating to charity.

MJ is one of the greatest nba players and athletes of all time, but man is he a douche.

I think if social media and just media in general were as big during his days as they are today he would be one of the most hated players. We all know he had haters, but people would really get to see how much of a douche he was off the court and analyze every little thing he did the way they do for Lebron.

And I'm not coming to LBJ's defense. I'm a knicks fan, I don't even like Lebron but I do respect his game. I grew up a big time fan of MJ and I still am, but I feel like he's a really big douchebag and not a very likeable person off the court.
instagram.com/510movement
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#6 » by pickIBL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 pm

I have to disagree with you guys. The media covered Jordan enough... people knew Jordan. The thing is he won championships... If Dwight wins 3 rings all will be forgotten... Lebron created a super team and he still gets a pass these days because of the rings. His path to greatness game is one big annoying eye roll and we just let it go... because his super team beat the spurs. It's bout championships people.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#7 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
PCProductions wrote:Yeah, Jordan, it's definitely a "no-win" situation when it comes to donating to charity.

MJ is one of the greatest nba players and athletes of all time, but man is he a douche.

I think if social media and just media in general were as big during his days as they are today he would be one of the most hated players. We all know he had haters, but people would really get to see how much of a douche he was off the court and analyze every little thing he did the way they do for Lebron.

And I'm not coming to LBJ's defense. I'm a knicks fan, I don't even like Lebron but I do respect his game. I grew up a big time fan of MJ and I still am, but I feel like he's a really big douchebag and not a very likeable person off the court.

Probably Midlife crisis.
Credits to Jstock12
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager

Post#8 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:18 pm

pickIBL wrote:I have to disagree with you guys. The media covered Jordan enough... people knew Jordan. The thing is he won championships... If Dwight wins 3 rings all will be forgotten... Lebron created a super team and he still gets a pass these days because of the rings. His path to greatness game is one big annoying eye roll and we just let it go... because his super team beat the spurs. It's bout championships people.

Unless you were a Cavs fan, you shouldn't have been annoyed with LBJ's path to greatness, because he did not offend any other team. And even then, he gave so much to the Cavs, and they couldn't surround him with reasonable talent. If MJ had the same situation of no talent in Chicago, he would have bolted to. Nothing against their legacy, just their desire to win.
Credits to Jstock12
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#9 » by IMAN5 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Here's the thing that really bothers me. I'm not saying MJ has some sort of obligation to have to do every single thing in the world for charity. I'm sure he has done his part and donated millions and worked alongside many charities in his time and still today.

What bother's me is he cocky smug attitude towards it. Saying there was nothing in it for him, being cocky about something was just a for fun challenge by the Grizz owner. Describing it as "comical" is extremeley arrogant. It was just one owner from another trying to have fun, and help a charity in the process.

Just respectfully decline it, and that would be the professional way to handle it. You're an athletic icon to kids and also an owner of a franchise, so act like it.
instagram.com/510movement
BballFever1
Senior
And1: 142

Post#10 » by BballFever1 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 pm

MJ may be one of the greatest players ever, but he is also one of the biggest douche/jerk around also. Very arrogant and feel like he should be handed everything to on a gold platter. He might have the money to buy everything he wants but definitely is cold-hearted. Won't even do it for charity, kind of sad and pathetic in my opinion.
Raptorel
Starter
And1: 50

Post#11 » by Raptorel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Yeah, it's for charity dude. I don't think anyone will really care if you win or lose. Yeah if you lose, it would be funny...but it's still 1 million dollars for charity, and don't worry, nothing'll happen to your legacy.

And if you win, your fanboys will post the video everywhere and talk about how you could still play today.

Looks like a no-lose situation to be honest.

This. A lot of good sense comments in this news... which is sad because it shows how far away from common sense Jordan is.
Birth of the Cool wrote:Kaman in person is even more disturbing to watch. I felt my seat inching ever so slowing towards his black hole gravitational pull. Luckily RC finally pulled him before my row was devoured by Galactus/Kaman.
Imenutz
Junior
And1: 192

Post#12 » by Imenutz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:59 pm

If Pera was smart he would do the following:

Publicly state that he could personally beat Michael Jordan in a 1 on 1 match and be the best owner/player in the league.

Michael laughs it off, Pera publicly states Michael's scared, Michael accepts challenge.

Pera THEN publicly states that any money he makes from this pick-up game will go to charity, therefore making Jordan look like a douche if he doesn't do the same.

Simple psych 101.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#13 » by TyCobb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:59 pm

He could just write a check to charity. Jordan means it's a joke to play basketball one-on-one with Pera. Which, it is.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#14 » by inquisitive » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 pm

No win? The winner will be the charity...at least have fun giving money away...if Jordan wants to play serious, take up Byron Russell's challenge of 1 on 1.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#15 » by pickIBL » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:30 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:
pickIBL wrote:I have to disagree with you guys. The media covered Jordan enough... people knew Jordan. The thing is he won championships... If Dwight wins 3 rings all will be forgotten... Lebron created a super team and he still gets a pass these days because of the rings. His path to greatness game is one big annoying eye roll and we just let it go... because his super team beat the spurs. It's bout championships people.

Unless you were a Cavs fan, you shouldn't have been annoyed with LBJ's path to greatness, because he did not offend any other team. And even then, he gave so much to the Cavs, and they couldn't surround him with reasonable talent. If MJ had the same situation of no talent in Chicago, he would have bolted to. Nothing against their legacy, just their desire to win.

Barkley never wanted to play with MJ... he wanted to kick his ass. LBJ's path to greatness has gotten horrible reviews and it is nothing more than an ego stroke. The guys like Lebron and Dwight of today are nothing like the greats of the past. Dwight does his BS and then bitches that some other player gets to wear his number in Orlando. smh
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#16 » by TruthSerum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Why wouldn't MJ jump through hoops so a 35-year-old billionaire can shamelessly self-promote while also living out his childhood dream?

Make it $10M and we'll see how charitable the Grizz owner is really feeling.
51st pick vs. 11th pick
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,697

Post#17 » by KembaWalker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm

what a joke that people are trying to make MJ the bad guy here. If Robert Pera has a million dollars budgeted to give to charity and he isn't doing so because Michael Jordan won't play him in basketball, Robert Pera is a douche.

As a Charlottean I know first hand MJ actually does a LOT for charity around here especially to the local school districts. Robert Pera on the other hand...can't find anything except him trying this same douchey stunt on his own player http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2013/9/ ... -to-1-on-1

the realgm groupthink is embarrassingly ignorant
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#18 » by caronimo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 pm

stuart tanner 2.0? :P
PDX_DL0
Senior
And1: 54

Post#19 » by PDX_DL0 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

KembaWalker wrote:what a joke that people are trying to make MJ the bad guy here. If Robert Pera has a million dollars budgeted to give to charity and he isn't doing so because Michael Jordan won't play him in basketball, Robert Pera is a douche.

As a Charlottean I know first hand MJ actually does a LOT for charity around here especially to the local school districts. Robert Pera on the other hand...can't find anything except him trying this same douchey stunt on his own player http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2013/9/ ... -to-1-on-1

the realgm groupthink is embarrassingly ignorant

+1. There are also hundreds of other retired ball players who could participate in this. Why doesn't he find a retired Grizzly to join in?
"coaches are irrelevant in todays nba" - captlopez0012
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager

Post#20 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:25 pm

pickIBL wrote:
TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:

Barkley never wanted to play with MJ... he wanted to kick his ass. LBJ's path to greatness has gotten horrible reviews and it is nothing more than an ego stroke. The guys like Lebron and Dwight of today are nothing like the greats of the past. Dwight does his BS and then bitches that some other player gets to wear his number in Orlando. smh

You completely ignored my last section, if MJ had no talented players around him he would have bolted, and he almost did. But Chicago was well managed from the top to the bottom. Unlike the Cavs organization during the '03-'09 seasons.
Credits to Jstock12

Return to Wiretap Discussion