Gordon Hayward To Reach Restricted Free Agency After No Extension With Jazz

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Gordon Hayward To Reach Restricted Free Agency After No Extension With Jazz 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 1, 2013 4:44 am

Despite being in active negotiations up until the Thursday night deadline, Gordon Hayward and the Utah Jazz failed to close the gap on the framework of a contract extension and never discussed a five-year, maximum-level deal, league sources told RealGM.

Hayward’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, maintained tireless, lively discussions with the Jazz’s front office, but the two sides couldn’t agree to a long-term deal. Hayward will be a restricted free agent next offseason.

For Hayward, his personal intrigue in the negotiations weighed heavily as a distraction, and the young forward will now have to regroup mentally and shift complete focus onto the basketball court.

“He didn’t enjoy the process, but he knows it’s part of the business,” Bartelstein said on Thursday night.

Hayward, 23, has infused the Jazz with a versatile playmaker, and the organization has made clear its intention to sign him to a new contract – whether it is before the deadline for his draft class or in free agency.

Armed with Brad Stevens and projected with sufficient cap space, the Boston Celtics are seen league-wide as team that will provide significant free-agent competition for Hayward.

Hayward, the No. 9 overall pick in 2010, averaged 14.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and three assists last season. He showed strides in his passing and rebounding during the preseason and scored 12 points with five assists and four rebounds in the Jazz’s season-opening loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder on Wednesday.

Hayward was drafted into the NBA after two standout seasons at Butler Univeristy.

Yahoo! Sports first reported that discussions between Hayward and the Jazz had ended.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

bbintheheezy
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: Gordon Hayward To Reach Restricted Free Agency After No  

Post#2 » by bbintheheezy » Fri Nov 1, 2013 5:01 am

Why would they discuss a max extension with Hayward? I don't get why people think this guy is so good.
knohow
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#3 » by knohow » Fri Nov 1, 2013 6:09 am

bbintheheezy wrote:Why would they discuss a max extension with Hayward? I don't get why people think this guy is so good.

You know why people think that. It's just not polite to say it out loud.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Fri Nov 1, 2013 8:02 am

People are misinformed, you have to base his production on his per-36 stats which will show that he has the potential to be one of the elite players at his position and not to mention he is one of the rare young players who has learned to play proper defense. The Jazz likely will have to pay him the max because look at the type of contracts less talented or injury prone players like tyreke evans and eric gordon have gotten in restricted free agency. Evans got 4 yrs 44M to come of the pelicans bench and Eg got a 4 yr 58 million max to play 51/148 games the last two seasons. Both players are also sub-par defenders. The Jazz are already aware of one of the worst kept secrets in the league that if he hits RFA, that the Boston Celtics will most definitely pursue him and sign him to max offer sheet. Hayward was coached by Brad Stevens at Butler and they went all the way to the 2010 NCAA finals. Stevens has been on the record saying that Hayward was one of his favorite players to coach at Butler and also watch in the nba. Stevens knows how to maximize Hayward's potential. Danny Ainge won't hesitate to sign Hayward especially since he fits with the celtics traditional culture of preaching gritty defensive play. Also take into consideration that the Celtics are rebuilding and they will have adequate cap space this offseason and also the purchasing power of a big market team. Ainge could play dirty and both max out and frontload hayward's offersheet so the Jazz would have to pay alot of cash upfront in the form of bonus and incentive pay. This has been done before in the league (wink Daryl Morey) and small market teams rarely retain their players in these situations with out taking an extra blow financially.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#5 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Nov 1, 2013 8:12 am

knohow wrote:
bbintheheezy wrote:Why would they discuss a max extension with Hayward? I don't get why people think this guy is so good.

I have been vouching to get rid of Hayward this whole summer, and I say screw him. He is no Paul George and he wants George money....He didn't take Jazz to Western/Eastern Finals, he will never average ELITE numbers, and his consistency hasn't been the caliber to make him a 'franchise" player. George has proved he deserves every penny, Jazz were fools for not getting him instead.

Favors is way better, and we actually got an amazing deal because he loves it in Utah, and knows what he has is real, and an extra 5-7 million a year can't buy you that! Hayward is just another stuck up player who is a fool, who doesn't care about Utah at all and doesn't realize what he has with this team, who actually cares about him!

Everyone knows he has plotted to get to Boston ever since his coach came to Celtics. Let them think he will be another Larry Bird, but I bet he will be a great filler to put behind someone, but he will never be the elite player everyone thinks he will be; once he leaves Utah he will diminish his potential(which Jazz gave him). Jazz can always reproduce another just like him. Once they get Parker or Wiggins, no one in the nation will know the name Hayward. Then again, if someone is dumb enough to make him their franchise player, he might get another chance.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#6 » by The59Sound » Fri Nov 1, 2013 3:15 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:He didn't take Jazz to Western/Eastern Finals

:lol: Okay. Did Favors?

JazzMatt13 wrote:Hayward is just another stuck up player who is a fool, who doesn't care about Utah at all and doesn't realize what he has with this team, who actually cares about him!

:rofl: Yes, the Jazz care about Hayward more than his own mother does. Are you serious with that? The Jazz, as much as any team, treat player transactions as a business. You act is if, even with an extension, they wouldn't have traded him in a heartbeat if a good deal came along. Both Hayward and the Jazz know that the NBA is a business and act accordingly.

JazzMatt13 wrote:Everyone knows he has plotted to get to Boston ever since his coach came to Celtics.

:lol: Dude, you're out of control. You have absolutely NOTHING to substantiate that. You're just making things up.

Utah fans, perhaps more than any other fanbase, have a really pathetic "jilted lover" outlook on the world. Hayward and the Jazz both want the best deal possible for their respective agendas... and neither side is wrong for feeling that way.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
The59Sound
Head Coach

Post#7 » by The59Sound » Fri Nov 1, 2013 3:17 pm

bbintheheezy wrote:Why would they discuss a max extension with Hayward?

Read the article. THEY DIDN'T.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Fri Nov 1, 2013 3:28 pm

JazzMatt13 wrote:
knohow wrote:

I have been vouching to get rid of Hayward this whole summer, and I say screw him. He is no Paul George and he wants George money....He didn't take Jazz to Western/Eastern Finals, he will never average ELITE numbers, and his consistency hasn't been the caliber to make him a 'franchise" player. George has proved he deserves every penny, Jazz were fools for not getting him instead.

Favors is way better, and we actually got an amazing deal because he loves it in Utah, and knows what he has is real, and an extra 5-7 million a year can't buy you that! Hayward is just another stuck up player who is a fool, who doesn't care about Utah at all and doesn't realize what he has with this team, who actually cares about him!

Everyone knows he has plotted to get to Boston ever since his coach came to Celtics. Let them think he will be another Larry Bird, but I bet he will be a great filler to put behind someone, but he will never be the elite player everyone thinks he will be; once he leaves Utah he will diminish his potential(which Jazz gave him). Jazz can always reproduce another just like him. Once they get Parker or Wiggins, no one in the nation will know the name Hayward. Then again, if someone is dumb enough to make him their franchise player, he might get another chance.

Go get your facts right. Hayward isn't seeking Paul George Money. Paul George signed a 5 year 80 million extension with the Rose Rule Clause that would potentially increase his contract value 15M (95M Total) if he were to make the all nba team again this season (near certainty) or win league mvp (a possibility). George and Hayward also had comparable #s their first two seasons in the league. Hayward hasn't been given anything close to the role or minutes played that PG got due to the Granger injury. GH also is not surrounded by the same level of talent or quality coaching that PG was blessed with. GH is seeking a 4 yr 60M max which he will get in rfa regardless if the jazz don't pay him now. Reports are that his agent offered the Jazz the option of making him their designated player (a 5 year extension) and receiving a reasonable discount from the 80M max possibly a deal valued between 70-75M over 5 years. The Jazz with their current tanking situation obviously want to save that designated player tag likely for the high draft pick they expect to get in the 2014 draft which they hope will morph into a franchise cornerstone. Hayward is not content playing for a tanking team like the Jazz and top of that isn't willing to take a sizeable discount on his contract to stay in a bad situation. Also Favors may like Utah now because he is an rfa and has limited negotiating rights. If he emerges into a superstar expect him to force his way out like deron williams to big market when his contract is about to expire.
bbintheheezy
Sophomore

Post#9 » by bbintheheezy » Sat Nov 2, 2013 3:17 am

The59Sound wrote:

You're dumb. I never said they did. I was simply asking why would they discuss a max extension with him? he's clearly not worth it.
The59Sound
Head Coach

Post#10 » by The59Sound » Sat Nov 2, 2013 3:32 am

bbintheheezy wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

You're dumb. I never said they did. I was simply asking why would they discuss a max extension with him? he's clearly not worth it.

If they didn't discuss it, why are you incredulously asking why they would discuss it?

"Why would the U.S. invade Britain???"
"No one even mentioned that."
"You're dumb. I never said they did."

bbintheheezy
Sophomore

Post#11 » by bbintheheezy » Sat Nov 2, 2013 4:33 am

The59Sound wrote:
bbintheheezy wrote:
The59Sound wrote:

If they didn't discuss it, why are you incredulously asking why they would discuss it?

"Why would the U.S. invade Britain???"
"No one even mentioned that."
"You're dumb. I never said they did."

The article said The Jazz never discussed a max contract with Hayward and I was asking why would they discuss one with him? Not nearly the same thing as your example you tard.

Return to Wiretap Discussion