Bobcats Could Make Kidd-Gilchrist Available In Trade Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Bobcats Could Make Kidd-Gilchrist Available In Trade Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist could be made available in trade talks by the Charlotte Bobcats when he returns from injury.

Kidd-Gilchrist was the second overall pick of the 2012 NBA Draft out of Kentucky.

Kidd-Gilchrist has struggled to develop his jumper to make a strong impact in the NBA.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Bobcats Could Make Kidd-Gilchrist Available In Trade Tal 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Man MJ and the bobcats can't catch a break. I thought MKG was a good pick at #2 after davis and most mock drafts had him their too. Aside from Damian Lillard, who they wouldn't have drafted anyways because they were invested in kemba walker, they passed on 2 all star calibre talents in bradley beal and harrison barnes while Andre Drummond looks like he will eventually become a superstar and the best center in the east. Jordan was criticized for using personal perceptions to draft talent and was known for favoring raw big men and top prospects from North Carolina. Ironically had he used his instincts in the 2012 draft he would have drafted barnes or drummond and likely would have gotten a franchise talent to help reboot his team. The ceiling for MKG is still not bad, he likely can develop into a tony allen/bruce bowen type of defender but like the two mentioned players will struggle to produce offense for his entire career.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#3 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:31 pm

Sam195 wrote:Man MJ and the bobcats can't catch a break. I thought MKG was a good pick at #2 after davis and most mock drafts had him their too. Aside from Damian Lillard, who they wouldn't have drafted anyways because they were invested in kemba walker, they passed on 2 all star calibre talents in bradley beal and harrison barnes while Andre Drummond looks like he will eventually become a superstar and the best center in the east. Jordan was criticized for using personal perceptions to draft talent and was known for favoring raw big men and top prospects from North Carolina. Ironically had he used his instincts in the 2012 draft he would have drafted barnes or drummond and likely would have gotten a franchise talent to help reboot his team. The ceiling for MKG is still not bad, he likely can develop into a tony allen/bruce bowen type of defender but like the two mentioned players will struggle to produce offense for his entire career.

You make a good point here, but I don't think anyone panned Jordan for picking MKG. In fact, I'm pretty sure people said it was his smartest pick yet. I doubt a single GM would have taken Drummond or Barnes at #2. Maybe today they would, knowing what we know now, but that wasn't the popular sentiment at the time.

That said, I think it's a little early to give up on MKG. Unless they're getting something special back, I'd say let him develop with the team.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#4 » by RoyalMajesty » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Way too early to give up on MKG. This kid is a gamer, plays tough D, and is only 20 years old. His only problem is what? Shooting right? Seriously, just go and hire a shooting coach and develop a new form or something.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:13 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Man MJ and the bobcats can't catch a break. I thought MKG was a good pick at #2 after davis and most mock drafts had him their too. Aside from Damian Lillard, who they wouldn't have drafted anyways because they were invested in kemba walker, they passed on 2 all star calibre talents in bradley beal and harrison barnes while Andre Drummond looks like he will eventually become a superstar and the best center in the east. Jordan was criticized for using personal perceptions to draft talent and was known for favoring raw big men and top prospects from North Carolina. Ironically had he used his instincts in the 2012 draft he would have drafted barnes or drummond and likely would have gotten a franchise talent to help reboot his team. The ceiling for MKG is still not bad, he likely can develop into a tony allen/bruce bowen type of defender but like the two mentioned players will struggle to produce offense for his entire career.

You make a good point here, but I don't think anyone panned Jordan for picking MKG. In fact, I'm pretty sure people said it was his smartest pick yet. I doubt a single GM would have taken Drummond or Barnes at #2. Maybe today they would, knowing what we know now, but that wasn't the popular sentiment at the time.

That said, I think it's a little early to give up on MKG. Unless they're getting something special back, I'd say let him develop with the team.

Actually Bradley Beal was the guy everyone had going #2 the night before the draft. Apparently multiple teams were calling the bobcats to try and trade for the pick or move up in the draft to snatch beal. Beal apparently got a promise from the wizards that he would be picked #3 and teams realized they had to get the #2 to draft him with davis going #1. I remember the cavs offered all their picks in the 2012 draft the #4, #24, #33 and #34 to move up to #2 to get beal but were rejected and instead took a reach and selected waiters at#4. Apparently the wizards indicated to the bobcats that they were going to draft barnes/mkg with the #3 pick if they they traded down and someone else took beal. Many analysts had beal winning rookie of the year before the season began but like davis he was riddled with injuries. Beal likely has a bright career ahead and has drawn comparsions to ray allen and dwayne wade. MJ should have drafted beal for himself and traded away gerald henderson who was their current sg.
burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Post#6 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Sam195 wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

Actually Bradley Beal was the guy everyone had going #2 the night before the draft. Apparently multiple teams were calling the bobcats to try and trade for the pick or move up in the draft to snatch beal. Beal apparently got a promise from the wizards that he would be picked #3 and teams realized they had to get the #2 to draft him with davis going #1. I remember the cavs offered all their picks in the 2012 draft the #4, #24, #33 and #34 to move up to #2 to get beal but were rejected and instead took a reach and selected waiters at#4. Apparently the wizards indicated to the bobcats that they were going to draft barnes/mkg with the #3 pick if they they traded down and someone else took beal. Many analysts had beal winning rookie of the year before the season began but like davis he was riddled with injuries. Beal likely has a bright career ahead and has drawn comparsions to ray allen and dwayne wade. MJ should have drafted beal for himself and traded away gerald henderson who was their current sg.

Looking back on mock drafts for the year, I don't find too many people picking Beal #2, probably because they had Henderson. I'm seeing T-Rob there more than anyone else. And whether it's Beal, MKG or T-Rob, it's far from the consensus you are painting it as.

The Cavs wanted him for sure, as did the Wizards, but don't let that turn into a "Beal was the #2 for every single person" kind of thing.

Also, Beal for ROY?
http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2012/stor ... ookie-year
http://www.hoopsworld.com/50-nba-predic ... -13-part-2
http://nba.si.com/2012/10/24/anthony-da ... n-lillard/

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and still wish the Cavs could have snagged him, but let's not get out of hand about it.
PapaSteveeee
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by PapaSteveeee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:26 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:

Honestly, Barnes was the most NBA ready college player in that draft. Both physically and mentally, you saw it; clear as day. the fact that he was undervalued was kind of baffling in all honesty.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:32 pm

PapaSteveeee wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

Honestly, Barnes was the most NBA ready college player in that draft. Both physically and mentally, you saw it; clear as day. the fact that he was undervalued was kind of baffling in all honesty.

lol actually thomas robinson was considered the most nba-ready in that draft, some were making the case that he could be the #1 pick and help a team immediately as opposed to davis who many people thought would take a couple seasons to develop and shine. Robinson was a dominant post player and monster rebounder in college. Vise versa happened and robinson as a draft pick was a flop, he's likley a bench boy for the forseeable future.
blazersfan52
Senior
And1: 224

Post#9 » by blazersfan52 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Sam195 wrote:
PapaSteveeee wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

lol actually thomas robinson was considered the most nba-ready in that draft, some were making the case that he could be the #1 pick and help a team immediately as opposed to davis who many people thought would take a couple seasons to develop and shine. Robinson was a dominant post player and monster rebounder in college. Vise versa happened and robinson as a draft pick was a flop, he's likley a bench boy for the forseeable future.

He is doing what the Blazers want him to do.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#10 » by Fresh360Waves » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:14 am

Stupid ass organization lol SMH. He's a great defender. Every team needs one in their starting lineup. He doesn't necessarily need to score; he can play a Tony Allen role.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 939

Post#11 » by Robot Rock » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 am

burritoKURUMA wrote:

Kemba Walker is MJ's best draft pick. As a Charlotte fan, I wouldn't mind MKG being traded but only if it's a genuinely good deal. He's a solid defender.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#12 » by PDXKnight » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:50 am

There's no sense in trading MKG at the moment, I have no idea why Charlotte would want to. MKG may not be living up to the expectations entirely but he still has time to do that and he's certainly proven that he can be a valuable player at the very least.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#13 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:05 pm

Oden2 wrote:There's no sense in trading MKG at the moment, I have no idea why Charlotte would want to. MKG may not be living up to the expectations entirely but he still has time to do that and he's certainly proven that he can be a valuable player at the very least.

I think they realize that MKG isn't that good of a player. He is not the poor man's Gerald Wallace like many thought. He looks like he has a low b-ball iq as well. He probably should not have left college early. I think the cats are just looking to get some value while they still can. Look what Derrick Williams went for.
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#14 » by menten » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:38 pm

no surprise. he has low upside and has been a dissapointment so far. it's better to trade him while his value is still high, before the rest of the league finds out he's garbage
MountainDrew
Veteran
And1: 885

Post#15 » by MountainDrew » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:39 pm

MKG for Evan Turner?
Trust the Process

Return to Wiretap Discussion