Dwane Casey, Jeff Hornacek Named NBA Coaches Of Month

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dwane Casey, Jeff Hornacek Named NBA Coaches Of Month 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 2, 2014 8:18 pm

Dwane Casey and Jeff Hornacek have been named the NBA Eastern and Western Conference Coaches of the Month, respectively, for games played in December.

Casey led the Toronto Raptors to an 8-6 (.571) record, including road wins over the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder. The six road wins Toronto posted tied for best in the conference in December.

Hornacek guided the Phoenix Suns to a 10-3 (.769) record, including wins over the Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Clippers.

Via RealGM Staff Report

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: Dwane Casey, Jeff Hornacek Named NBA Coaches Of Month 

Post#2 » by CoreyGallagher » Thu Jan 2, 2014 8:39 pm

Casey? Lol!
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#3 » by JazzMatt13 » Thu Jan 2, 2014 9:33 pm

Hornacek is my front runner for COTY....but I could understand Stotts.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#4 » by malgus » Thu Jan 2, 2014 9:34 pm

Jeff Hornacek first ever to be named Coach of the Month and Player of the Month for the same team.

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/paulc ... same-team/
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#5 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:07 pm

Never thought I'd live to see the day.
Credits to Jstock12
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,043

Post#6 » by Scase » Thu Jan 2, 2014 10:47 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL CASEY
Props TZ!
KAMALA
Senior
And1: 16

Post#7 » by KAMALA » Thu Jan 2, 2014 11:23 pm

Casey will win COY .. book it
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#8 » by jlokine » Fri Jan 3, 2014 1:42 am

say what you will about Casey, but i think this guy can coach.. amount of blow out losses have gone down comparing to sam mitchell and jay triano (sure it's not much to write home about) and they've been in more games against strong opponents last yr and this yr.. last yr's 4-21 start could've been 9-16 if not for refs giving raps no respect.. and then .500 for games lost within 5 points... could've been a .400 start instead of the 4-21 which pretty much ruled them out for playoffs.. and when gay came last yr, they played over .500 basketball.. they would've been closer to a .500 team had not been for that start.. sure that's not saying much.. but he didnt have a whole lot to work with...

and i dont always agree with his game to game decision making (ie rotations, set plays, questionable non time out calls, non-intentional fouling, etc), as for setting a defensive minded culture, i think he's done that more than not..
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,184

Post#9 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:01 am

Never thought Jeff Hornacek can coach, especially with a bunch of role players in PHX and playing in the though western conference. Makes me wonder if Stockton would make a good coach.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#10 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:58 am

jlokine wrote:say what you will about Casey, but i think this guy can coach.. amount of blow out losses have gone down comparing to sam mitchell and jay triano (sure it's not much to write home about) and they've been in more games against strong opponents last yr and this yr.. last yr's 4-21 start could've been 9-16 if not for refs giving raps no respect.. and then .500 for games lost within 5 points... could've been a .400 start instead of the 4-21 which pretty much ruled them out for playoffs.. and when gay came last yr, they played over .500 basketball.. they would've been closer to a .500 team had not been for that start.. sure that's not saying much.. but he didnt have a whole lot to work with...

and i dont always agree with his game to game decision making (ie rotations, set plays, questionable non time out calls, non-intentional fouling, etc), as for setting a defensive minded culture, i think he's done that more than not..

He is more suited to be an assistant coach than a head coach. I still think he is a terrible coach, but he is the best of the worst out in the East right now.
Credits to Jstock12
mbillar
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by mbillar » Fri Jan 3, 2014 4:24 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Never thought Jeff Hornacek can coach, especially with a bunch of role players in PHX and playing in the though western conference. Makes me wonder if Stockton would make a good coach.

Why did you never think Hornacek could coach? All of his ex-teammates claim he played like a coach on the floor. He just waited until his kids were grown up before he jumped into that lifestyle. While I didn't quite expect this out of Phoenix, I expected Hornacek to be an outstanding coach long term.

Return to Wiretap Discussion