Clippers Increase Internal Discussions About Signing Andrew Bynum

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Clippers Increase Internal Discussions About Signing Andrew Bynum 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:46 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers have had more internal discussions about potentially signing Andrew Bynum and are interested in the veteran center.

Bynum was waived after the Cleveland Cavaliers traded him to the Chicago Bulls late Monday night.

Bynum has cleared waivers and is a free agent.

The Clippers would have to release a player to sign Bynum.

Via Broderick Turner/Los Angeles Times

Peppone
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Clippers Increase Internal Discussions About Signing And 

Post#2 » by Peppone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:07 pm

.......but if the player to release is mister Mullens, why these all internal discussion......... :roll:
Hullajelolt
Junior
And1: 512

Post#3 » by Hullajelolt » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:35 pm

Probably the initial news about the Clips not being interested in him were to send a message to him. The Clips need him, and they're probably Bynum's best bet given he mentioned them earlier as a possible landing spot. The Clippers just don't need a troubled locker room presence, and he has to accept a limited role off the bench.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#4 » by grumpysaddle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:Probably the initial news about the Clips not being interested in him were to send a message to him. The Clips need him, and they're probably Bynum's best bet given he mentioned them earlier as a possible landing spot. The Clippers just don't need a troubled locker room presence, and he has to accept a limited role off the bench.

I'm pretty sure he'd be totally happy with an extended role ON the bench. As long as it puts a couple more millions of dollars into his pockets for doing absolutely nothing.
draftbarnes
Analyst
And1: 1,913

Post#5 » by draftbarnes » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Clippers should take the chance, bynum could be big in the playoffs scoring the ball in the low post for a team who struggles in the half court playoff basketball style.
On Curry declining

Pharmcat wrote:
Guest202 wrote:Didn't he score 30 two weeks ago on 5 of 10 from three?

you can still have good games in the decline, look at kobe's last game in his career
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#6 » by Sam195 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Hullajelolt wrote:Probably the initial news about the Clips not being interested in him were to send a message to him. The Clips need him, and they're probably Bynum's best bet given he mentioned them earlier as a possible landing spot. The Clippers just don't need a troubled locker room presence, and he has to accept a limited role off the bench.

What do you mean he mentioned the clippers. Stop BSing, he hasn't spoken publicly since cavs suspended him. It's all reports out their that heats, clips and mavs are interested. There are also reports he wants to retire or he hates basket-ball and he only plays for the money.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 pm

All these teams that are being thrown around to sign bynum - the clips, mavs and heat can probably only offer him the minimum. From what I know about Bynum watching him on the court as well as his off court antics like feuding with mike brown in la and cleveland, I can tell you money means a lot to him. And he will sign with the team that can offer him the most money now because if he signs somewhere else this season and still can't play - he's likely out of the league. I will throw a team out there that bynum and his agent probably have on top of their list - THE BROOKLYN NETS. The nets lost brook lopez for the season and received an injury exception from the league for 5.6 million I think which they can use to sign a player to a one year deal. No other team can offer bynum that much money and it would roughly make up the 6 million he was suppose to still get from the cavs this season on the remainder of his contract if he wasn't waived. Nets are the best fit with the veteran leadership, the potential to contend and the fact that they are in desperate need to upgrade at the center spot. Nets can help showcase him as a possible starter for the rest of the season and playoffs while helping him possibly nab another contract for next season.
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#8 » by TheBallDoLie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Sam195 wrote:All these teams that are being thrown around to sign bynum - the clips, mavs and heat can probably only offer him the minimum. From what I know about Bynum watching him on the court as well as his off court antics like feuding with mike brown in la and cleveland, I can tell you money means a lot to him. And he will sign with the team that can offer him the most money now because if he signs somewhere else this season and still can't play - he's likely out of the league. I will throw a team out there that bynum and his agent probably have on top of their list - THE BROOKLYN NETS. The nets lost brook lopez for the season and received an injury exception from the league for 5.6 million I think which they can use to sign a player to a one year deal. No other team can offer bynum that much money and it would roughly make up the 6 million he was suppose to still get from the cavs this season on the remainder of his contract if he wasn't waived. Nets are the best fit with the veteran leadership, the potential to contend and the fact that they are in desperate need to upgrade at the center spot. Nets can help showcase him as a possible starter for the rest of the season and playoffs while helping him possibly nab another contract for next season.

Yeah but Brooklyn is so far in the tax any signing they do will cost them more than the actual salary amount. I don't see Brooklyn adding any salary unless it is absolutely necessary.
Sam195
Analyst

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:26 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:
Sam195 wrote:All these teams that are being thrown around to sign bynum - the clips, mavs and heat can probably only offer him the minimum. From what I know about Bynum watching him on the court as well as his off court antics like feuding with mike brown in la and cleveland, I can tell you money means a lot to him. And he will sign with the team that can offer him the most money now because if he signs somewhere else this season and still can't play - he's likely out of the league. I will throw a team out there that bynum and his agent probably have on top of their list - THE BROOKLYN NETS. The nets lost brook lopez for the season and received an injury exception from the league for 5.6 million I think which they can use to sign a player to a one year deal. No other team can offer bynum that much money and it would roughly make up the 6 million he was suppose to still get from the cavs this season on the remainder of his contract if he wasn't waived. Nets are the best fit with the veteran leadership, the potential to contend and the fact that they are in desperate need to upgrade at the center spot. Nets can help showcase him as a possible starter for the rest of the season and playoffs while helping him possibly nab another contract for next season.

Yeah but Brooklyn is so far in the tax any signing they do will cost them more than the actual salary amount. I don't see Brooklyn adding any salary unless it is absolutely necessary.

Well prokorov has a ton of cash at his disposal and hasn't complained about the nets current spending habits. So screw the tax i guess. Also it is pretty necessary that brooklyn get's a center upgrade because garnett at 37 is going to get injured if he has to bang with roy hibbert and dwight howard for the rest of the season and possibly playoffs. Also if nets miss the playoffs billy king and j kidd almost destined to be fired so they will be desperate to find a solution.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#10 » by RoyalMajesty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 am

This would make the Clippers and Warriors rivalry more interesting.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#11 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:24 am

Sam195 wrote:

What do you mean he mentioned the clippers. Stop BSing, he hasn't spoken publicly since cavs suspended him. It's all reports out their that heats, clips and mavs are interested. There are also reports he wants to retire or he hates basket-ball and he only plays for the money.

that is 100% of the league
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#12 » by Temuhjan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:07 am

True. The Nets have the most money to offer. But why offer the full 5.25m DPE when simply offering what the next best team can offer (Heat's mini mid cap) plus $1 will suffice?

Personally, I think the Nets should go for Bynum since they are already 'all-in' with the KG and Pierce trade. Besides, if this army of vets in Brooklyn cannot straighten up Bynum, then no one can.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#13 » by Temuhjan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:08 am

True. The Nets have the most money to offer. But why offer the full 5.25m DPE when simply offering what the next best team can offer (Heat's mini mid cap) plus $1 will suffice?

Personally, I think the Nets should go for Bynum since they are already 'all-in' with the KG and Pierce trade. Besides, if this army of vets in Brooklyn cannot straighten up Bynum, then no one can.
themeccamsg
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by themeccamsg » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:12 am

Temuhjan wrote:

They'd offer the full DPE because only a large overpayment would convince Bynum to play for such a poor-performing, poorly-managed, badly-coached old veteran team with no chance of any success for the next decade. Bynum can have his chance at a championship with the Heat, but it's much less money. That's the tradeoff.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#15 » by Shem » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 am

Doc Rivers might be Bynum's last hope.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach