Marcus Camby Expects Readiness For NBA Return By End Of February

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Marcus Camby Expects Readiness For NBA Return By End Of February 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Free agent center Marcus Camby is progressing in his rehabilitation from foot surgery and expects to be fully healthy by February’s end to join an NBA team, a league source told RealGM.

Camby, who underwent surgery before the season for a torn plantar fascia, returned to on-court activities two weeks ago and has shown positive signs in his rehab. Teams must finalize postseason-eligible players by March 1.

Camby was waived by the Houston Rockets to ensure that the organization carried healthy players in the frontcourt, but he made clear a desire to heal the foot and further his 17-year NBA career. He averaged 1.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in 24 games with the New York Knicks last season.

A rugged defender and rebounder, Camby could provide depth to a contender down the stretch of the season, provided his complete recovery. With the Rockets positioned as a title threat and strong respect for Kevin McHale, Camby had chose to sign with Houston in free agency.

At 39, Camby would become the league’s second-oldest player behind Steve Nash. He’s averaged 9.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks over his career – including six double-double seasons.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

williamsonfox
Freshman
And1: 33

Re: Marcus Camby Expects Readiness For NBA Return By End Of  

Post#2 » by williamsonfox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Raps need another big! Come back Marcus, come back!
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#3 » by inquisitive » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm

he is gonna sign with the rockets...toyota center is like 25 minutes away from his house.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,302

Post#4 » by mtcan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Camby's become a ring-chaser I see...you don't want to have to put in a full season so you hope to latch on to a contender for a free ride before the deadline?
ratmrocks89
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#5 » by ratmrocks89 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm

he would fit perfectly with the clippers.

he enjoyed his time there, it would be a great way for him to play for a contender.

rockets seem more likely, though, cause of his approximation to the stadium in houston.
BlzMwt
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,001

Post#6 » by BlzMwt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 pm

if he could provide solid defense for 20 mpg the clippers play would increase substantially
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#7 » by Mr. E » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:40 pm

inquisitive wrote:he is gonna sign with the rockets...toyota center is like 25 minutes away from his house.

Yeah, this has pretty much been considered an "open secret" since he was waived.

I'll be pretty surprised if he ends up anywhere else.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Dennis11
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#8 » by Dennis11 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:16 pm

BlzMwt wrote:if he could provide solid defense for 20 mpg the clippers play would increase substantially

There's absolutely no way he's getting 20mpg, especially with the Clippers...... :-?
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#9 » by mj_shoefanatic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Naw we don't want him back. He's just another injury waiting to happen.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#10 » by CHAMPi0N » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:34 pm

lol this guy always shows up at random points in the season to sign on as a benchwarmer on a contender. good for him I guess...
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#11 » by mawbsta » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 pm

mtcan wrote:Camby's become a ring-chaser I see...you don't want to have to put in a full season so you hope to latch on to a contender for a free ride before the deadline?

no, he is a paycheque chaser - as we all are. Nothing wrong with that. rings not guaranteed, but if you are 7 foot with a handful of DPOY awards then money is never far away in the NBA. Kudos for him being smart enough to stay active long enough to earn in two months what it takes others 10 years to earn.

Dont be a hater
Xerxes_Tetra
Junior
And1: 177

Post#12 » by Xerxes_Tetra » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 am

Time for someone to exhume Kevin Willis and have him face off against Camby.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,343

Post#13 » by WiggOuts » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:29 am

Guaranteed to go down within a couple weeks of signing him...whats the point...hes made his money.

In my mind guys like this steal spots from players who work damn hard for it, he shows up half way through the season trying to collect a cheque and putting someone out in the process. I bet "if" he gets picked up, someone is going to be waived, most likely someone thatll head to europe or the D-League...Im just sayin, if I was that guy id hate Marcus Camby lol.

You cant call this ring chasing, hes clearly just trying to get paid
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#14 » by caronimo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 am

as long as he stays on the court he can help. that's the big question
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#15 » by CHAMPi0N » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 am

mawbsta wrote:
mtcan wrote:Camby's become a ring-chaser I see...you don't want to have to put in a full season so you hope to latch on to a contender for a free ride before the deadline?

no, he is a paycheque chaser - as we all are. Nothing wrong with that. rings not guaranteed, but if you are 7 foot with a handful of DPOY awards then money is never far away in the NBA. Kudos for him being smart enough to stay active long enough to earn in two months what it takes others 10 years to earn.

Dont be a hater

I don't think it's hating, I can understand why people would be frustrated with Camby getting the job over some other young deserving athlete. You can't blame Camby for wanting the money, but at this point in his career, what does he have to offer most teams? I guess we'll see, but history points to him either getting injured again or just not seeing more than 10 mins on a court any given night. He's not really contributing and I would rather see some young athlete given a chance to have a NBA career.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#16 » by Novocaine » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 am

Dennis11 wrote:
BlzMwt wrote:if he could provide solid defense for 20 mpg the clippers play would increase substantially

There's absolutely no way he's getting 20mpg, especially with the Clippers...... :-?

Why? The Clippers are absolutely the best team for him, assuming he can give even 10 minutes of solid play per game. He'd be their 3rd best big.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#17 » by Jukeness » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:58 am

I forgot this old mother **** still played. Give it up man, if you're that old and constantly hurt when only playing 10 minutes a game, give it up.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#18 » by Temuhjan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:08 am

I used to like Camby's game a lot. All those well-timed blocks he made are nothing short of magnificent. However, if last season with the Knicks is any indication, it's about time for the old man to hang it up. If I am to make a guess, the only teams who might take a look at the old man are the Blazers and the Clippers.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#19 » by Temuhjan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:12 am

Impacien wrote:
Dennis11 wrote:

Why? The Clippers are absolutely the best team for him, assuming he can give even 10 minutes of solid play per game. He'd be their 3rd best big.

Camby lasted only 10.4 mpg with the Knicks last year. He probably can only contribute a good 6-8 minutes with the Clippers or the Blazers if they do indeed sign him.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#20 » by Novocaine » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:17 am

Temuhjan wrote:
Impacien wrote:
Dennis11 wrote:There's absolutely no way he's getting 20mpg, especially with the Clippers...... :-?

Camby lasted only 10.4 mpg with the Knicks last year. He probably can only contribute a good 6-8 minutes with the Clippers or the Blazers if they do indeed sign him.

Who knows? Depends on if he's actually healthy or not. He was still able to play +15mpg in several games for NYK. He can have a role similar to what PJ Brown had with Boston in 07/08. With Matt Barnes being their "James Posey" as a small-ball 4.

Return to Wiretap Discussion