Dwight: Couple Things Could Have Been Done To Sway Decision To Leave Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dwight: Couple Things Could Have Been Done To Sway Decision To Leave Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:11 am

Dwight Howard returns to play Los Angeles to play the Lakers for the first time since his departure to sign with the Houston Rockets in July.

Howard is confident he made the right decision to sign with the Rockets, but acknowledged that there were a few things that could have been done to change the outcome.

"There's a couple things that could've been done, but that's over with now," Howard said. "I'm in a better place, our team is doing great and the Lakers, they'll come back. But hopefully this is the Rockets' time."

Howard didn't elaborate on what could have been done differently, but it has been previously reported that he preferred Phil Jackson over Mike D'Antoni and that he was concerned about the timetable for Kobe Bryant to defer to him as franchise player.

Howard is bracing for a hostile environment.

"I think there will be a lot of boos," Howard said. "I can't really focus too much on that. I know I'm going to hear it the whole game. All the noises, whatever you want to call it, 'Coward.' There's not anything I can do about it except to go out and play.

"This year I've been through it a lot in every city because there are Laker fans everywhere. Every city I get booed in. I think I'm a little bit prepared for it."

Howard played at the Clippers in November, but expects this to be different.

"Back in Orlando, I was there for my whole career and fans had gotten to know me on a personal level. I know that a lot of people were very hurt," Howard said. "With this situation, it being my first year, and I left after that. People were mad that I left the Lakers and nobody's ever left the Lakers, so they were upset about that.

"But at the end of the day, I did what I felt was best for myself. I wasn't afraid of any bright lights or pressure. I just felt like Houston was the best place for me. Other people might see it differently, but that's what I chose. It's my destiny, it's my life and I feel like I did the right thing."

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,842

Re: Dwight: Couple Things Could Have Been Done To Sway Decis 

Post#2 » by inquisitive » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 am

a no brainer decision really basketball wise
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#3 » by Kobe System » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:56 am

inquisitive wrote:a no brainer decision really basketball wise

Too bad the Lakers will win another championship first before Dwight. If he ever win one.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#4 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 am

It was the right decision on so many stripper levels.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#5 » by Revived » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:34 am

Kobe System wrote:

Too bad the Lakers will win another championship first before Dwight. If he ever win one.

You sound like Dan Gilbert when he promised that the Cavs will win a ring before LeBron does.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#6 » by RoyalMajesty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:46 am

I'm just happy Dwight went to Houston so the whole Dwight drama about playing for this team or wanting to leave for another team or he's not getting along with so and so can finally put to rest. He couldn't go through another season with Kobe, he didn't like D'Antoni as a coach, and he couldn't handle the pressure playing for the Lakers. I'm just glad it's over and NBA fans can have a peace of mind. That was probably worst than the whole Brett Favre coming back or not to the NFL.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#7 » by red96 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 pm

Yup, just look at that team now. Everyone including JimB knew they were going to be terrible without Howatd to keep them afloat. Howard ran from the bright lights alright, the lights that signaled "danger, sinking ship". Weighed down by old parts, a bad captain, and Kobe's heavy 48million $ money bags, that ship sank in record time.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#8 » by God Squad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Kobe System wrote:

Sigh, Lakers fan and there wishful thinking. Dwights actually playing good basketball this year. Lakers fans saw the absolute worse from him. That being said, I see the Rockets being better than the Lakers for the foreseeable future.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#9 » by God Squad » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm

SF88 wrote:
Kobe System wrote:

You sound like Dan Gilbert when he promised that the Cavs will win a ring before LeBron does.

:lol: . We all see how that played out.
dj20001
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#10 » by dj20001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 pm

God Squad wrote:
Kobe System wrote:

Sigh, Lakers fan and there wishful thinking. Dwights actually playing good basketball this year. Lakers fans saw the absolute worse from him. That being said, I see the Rockets being better than the Lakers for the foreseeable future.

No. Seriously. When is the last time the Rockets won anything?
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#11 » by malgus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

dj20001 wrote:
God Squad wrote:
Kobe System wrote:

They seriously won the last game they played before the all star game unlike the Lakers.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#12 » by Rated T By CBRA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Young and upcoming Harden/Parsons vs. aging and injured Kobe/Pau...? Still don't think Houston has a contending team, they have some work to do...
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#13 » by dj20001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:53 pm

malgus wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
God Squad wrote:Sigh, Lakers fan and there wishful thinking. Dwights actually playing good basketball this year. Lakers fans saw the absolute worse from him. That being said, I see the Rockets being better than the Lakers for the foreseeable future.

They seriously won the last game they played before the all star game unlike the Lakers.

Hahaha...title wise. Pretty sure it's been since 1994. Great young core (gotta find a way to keep Parsons since he's due for a hefty raise) but, history suggests no title for the Rockets before the Lakers. Heck, OKC hasn't even gotten their ring yet.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#14 » by Rhythm043 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Why would Kobe defer to Howard at anytime during his career when Dwight was worse than ever last year.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#15 » by CHAMPi0N » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 pm

I think Howard made the right choice. They would have been stuck with the cap situation anyways, and the only chip left to deal was Gasol maybe... But it doesn't look like there are many offers out there for him now anyway.

Overall the Rockets core has way more potential than the Lakers since last off season... And they could add more if Asik/Lin ever get traded. But the team is more balanced than LA.

Still, I know it's a punk move for any Lakers fan that a franchise guy like Dwight just bolted on them - and he's right, nobody ever leaves the Lakers. That's why they feel this way towards him, and rightfully so.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,811

Post#16 » by nikster » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:36 pm

dj20001 wrote:
malgus wrote:
dj20001 wrote:

Hahaha...title wise. Pretty sure it's been since 1994. Great young core (gotta find a way to keep Parsons since he's due for a hefty raise) but, history suggests no title for the Rockets before the Lakers. Heck, OKC hasn't even gotten their ring yet.

keep pointing to your history, cause thats all you have right now
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#17 » by dj20001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm

CHAMPi0N wrote:I think Howard made the right choice. They would have been stuck with the cap situation anyways, and the only chip left to deal was Gasol maybe... But it doesn't look like there are many offers out there for him now anyway.

Overall the Rockets core has way more potential than the Lakers since last off season... And they could add more if Asik/Lin ever get traded. But the team is more balanced than LA.

Still, I know it's a punk move for any Lakers fan that a franchise guy like Dwight just bolted on them - and he's right, nobody ever leaves the Lakers. That's why they feel this way towards him, and rightfully so.

The botched CP3 trade really hurt LA when looking at Howard and his decision. Highly doubts he leaves the team if Paul is on the roster. Sure, there are a number of what-if's associated with this scenario, but, LA would be in a much better "rebuilding" position. Kobe/Howard/CP3 > Howard/Parsons/Harden IMO.

Great move for Howard and no ill will from this Lakers fan.
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#18 » by dj20001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm

nikster wrote:
dj20001 wrote:
malgus wrote:

keep pointing to your history, cause thats all you have right now

"...right now." Remind me again what history the Rockets have outside of mid 90s.

LA just went back to back in 2009/10 (three straight Finals if you include 2008). A rockbottom season such as this one is long overdue. Pretty refreshing and humbling as a Laker fan. Had been getting too used to seeing LA in the Finals almost every other year (sounds like you were sick of it too).
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#19 » by malgus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 pm

The future ain't bright in LA.

This offseason the Lakers will likely end up just letting Pau go for nothing as an unrestricted free agent. They will think they can use Gasol's freed up money to make a offer for a RFA like Bledsoe, Monroe or Hayward. Then when their teams match, the Lakers will be left with nothing not even Gasol. Then they'll sign whatever spare parts want to come to LA on a one year contract so that they can have cap space to make a play at Love in the next offseason.

So that leaves next year's LA team being Cripply Steve Nash, Beat Down Kobe and minimum salary veteran washouts looking for a second chance on a one year deal. So pretty much the same type roster as this year minus Pau Gasol. Oh on the good side, they will get whatever guy they draft with their lottery pick. This future Lakers team would not be a playoff team in the West so it will be back to the lottery again AND unless they are really really bad (top 5) their pick is going to the Suns.
dj20001
Sophomore

Post#20 » by dj20001 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

malgus wrote:The future ain't bright in LA.

This offseason the Lakers will likely end up just letting Pau go for nothing as an unrestricted free agent. They will think they can use Gasol's freed up money to make a offer for a RFA like Bledsoe, Monroe or Hayward. Then when their teams match, the Lakers will be left with nothing not even Gasol. Then they'll sign whatever spare parts want to come to LA on a one year contract so that they can have cap space to make a play at Love in the next offseason.

So that leaves next year's LA team being Cripply Steve Nash, Beat Down Kobe and minimum salary veteran washouts looking for a second chance on a one year deal. So pretty much the same type roster as this year minus Pau Gasol. Oh on the good side, they will get whatever guy they draft with their lottery pick. This future Lakers team would not be a playoff team in the West so it will be back to the lottery again AND unless they are really really bad (top 5) their pick is going to the Suns.

Agree with you 1000000% boss. LA is due for a few humbling seasons. I wasn't saying that LA would win in the next year or two (or even three/four). All I was pointing to is the history of both franchises since the Rockets last title.

There's little to suggest that the Rockets would win a title before LA.

Return to Wiretap Discussion