Pacers Clinch No. 1 Seed In Eastern Conference

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Pacers Clinch No. 1 Seed In Eastern Conference 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:32 am

The Indiana Pacers clinched the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference on Monday.

The Pacers are 55-26 and solidified the top seed in the East playoffs after the Miami Heat's loss to the Washington Wizards.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Re: Pacers Clinch No. 1 Seed In Eastern Conference 

Post#2 » by Sam195 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:41 am

I'm pretty sure the heat brain trust of pat riley, erik spolestra and the big 3 just tanked the end of the season and handed home court to the pacers on a silver platter. It looks like the heat are very confident they can steal a game in indiana if the two teams meet in the conference finals. But I think they are more concerned with the brooklyn nets who have swept them this season and seem to play with a mental edge (pierce and garnett) against them. Now with the current brackets - the pacers will have to face either chicago or brooklyn in the second round. While the heat will have an easier road beating charlotte and toronto/washington in the second round on route to the finals.
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Arsilva » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:55 am

Sam195 wrote:I'm pretty sure the heat brain trust of pat riley, erik spolestra and the big 3 just tanked the end of the season and handed home court to the pacers on a silver platter. It looks like the heat are very confident they can steal a game in indiana if the two teams meet in the conference finals. But I think they are more concerned with the brooklyn nets who have swept them this season and seem to play with a mental edge (pierce and garnett) against them. Now with the current brackets - the pacers will have to face either chicago or brooklyn in the second round. While the heat will have an easier road beating charlotte and toronto/washington in the second round on route to the finals.

Agree 100%. Somehow, I don't think the Pacers have enough heart to beat Nets or Bulls. Miami will go to ECF using eight games and resting D.Wade.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,122

Post#4 » by jigga_man » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:19 am

Sam195 wrote:I'm pretty sure the heat brain trust of pat riley, erik spolestra and the big 3 just tanked the end of the season and handed home court to the pacers on a silver platter. It looks like the heat are very confident they can steal a game in indiana if the two teams meet in the conference finals. But I think they are more concerned with the brooklyn nets who have swept them this season and seem to play with a mental edge (pierce and garnett) against them. Now with the current brackets - the pacers will have to face either chicago or brooklyn in the second round. While the heat will have an easier road beating charlotte and toronto/washington in the second round on route to the finals.

Yup, that was the whole plan all along. To lose games an concede home court advantage. Especially because last year where they went 7 games with HC against the Pacers and the Spurs. It was all part of Riley's master plan. When you're a team that won back to back titles the number one concern is getting past the second round. If they three peat they'll just hope get a playoff seed next year. If that happens Riley should have a 20 foot statue built on South Beach.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#5 » by crazymaso » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:24 am

jigga_man wrote:

Yup, that was the whole plan all along. To lose games an concede home court advantage. Especially because last year where they went 7 games with HC against the Pacers and the Spurs. It was all part of Riley's master plan. When you're a team that won back to back titles the number one concern is getting past the second round. If they three peat they'll just hope get a playoff seed next year. If that happens Riley should have a 20 foot statue built on South Beach.

Pretty much this. When your back to back champs, you don't fear a second round matchup and force your way to avoid it via seeding.

The fact is Heat struggled just like the Pacers to clinch the #1 seed. Both teams gave it to each other. Sure Miami had one final chance, but they had a choice to make. Try to win out, and hope the Pacers lose against Orlando. Or, just give some guys rest and be more prepared for the playoffs physically.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#6 » by Donnyxc » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Sam195 wrote: But I think they are more concerned with the brooklyn nets who have swept them this season and seem to play with a mental edge (pierce and garnett) against them.

I don't even give Pierce and KG all the credit, the Nets are such a dynamic team. The last month they've played small ball, sometimes playing Pierce at the C, and it's worked really well for them. They have a lot of guys who can play well together on that team. The Nets are my Dark Horse for an NBA Championship this year. I can't really see them keeping up with a Houston Rockets, GSW, or maybe Thunder, but they've really embraced playing together as a team with Lopez out. I think they could surprise a lot of teams.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Arsilva
Junior
And1: 28

Post#7 » by Arsilva » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Sam195 wrote: But I think they are more concerned with the brooklyn nets who have swept them this season and seem to play with a mental edge (pierce and garnett) against them.

I don't even give Pierce and KG all the credit, the Nets are such a dynamic team. The last month they've played small ball, sometimes playing Pierce at the C, and it's worked really well for them. They have a lot of guys who can play well together on that team. The Nets are my Dark Horse for an NBA Championship this year. I can't really see them keeping up with a Houston Rockets, GSW, or maybe Thunder, but they've really embraced playing together as a team with Lopez out. I think they could surprise a lot of teams.

For me, it's clear they play better without Lopez, who should thrive in an "Al Jefferson" role, for some marginal playoff team like Charlotte.
CHAMPi0N
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#8 » by CHAMPi0N » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:48 pm

YES!!! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! CHAMPAGNE SHOWERS!!!
Lance ah make em dance!!
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#9 » by IMAN5 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:12 pm

dammit this is not good for the Raptors 2nd round hopes... Unless we slip to 4th.
instagram.com/510movement
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#10 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:55 pm

IMAN5 wrote:dammit this is not good for the Raptors 2nd round hopes... Unless we slip to 4th.

As other posters have mentioned, the Heat did lose intentionally for an easier matchup. If the Raptors somehow get past the 1st round, Miami will sweep them. If Washington beats the Raptors, they will have faced an easy and inexperienced opponent in the first round so they will get complacent, and Miami will have an easy time with them as well. Much less of a challenge than Brooklyn/Chicago.
IMAN5
General Manager

Post#11 » by IMAN5 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:dammit this is not good for the Raptors 2nd round hopes... Unless we slip to 4th.

As other posters have mentioned, the Heat did lose intentionally for an easier matchup. If the Raptors somehow get past the 1st round, Miami will sweep them. If Washington beats the Raptors, they will have faced an easy and inexperienced opponent in the first round so they will get complacent, and Miami will have an easy time with them as well. Much less of a challenge than Brooklyn/Chicago.

yeah it looks like that, but it will be their downfall if they face the spurs or thunder in the finals when home court advantage is that huge. Miami barely won last year, and home court advantage was a big part of that (along with ray's miracle 3).

If you are the champs, and want to be champs again, you have to face the best. It sucks for toronto they may have to end up facing Heat (seedings can still change) but if they do and somehow beat Miami, then they'll easily take out the next team just because of how high confidence will be.
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#12 » by RaptorRed » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

yeah it looks like that, but it will be their downfall if they face the spurs or thunder in the finals when home court advantage is that huge. Miami barely won last year, and home court advantage was a big part of that (along with ray's miracle 3).

If you are the champs, and want to be champs again, you have to face the best. It sucks for toronto they may have to end up facing Heat (seedings can still change) but if they do and somehow beat Miami, then they'll easily take out the next team just because of how high confidence will be.

Raptors are not beating the heat. They literally haven't beat them in 4 years !! ( since the start of the big 3 era)
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
IMAN5
General Manager

Post#13 » by IMAN5 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

Raptors are not beating the heat. They literally haven't beat them in 4 years !! ( since the start of the big 3 era)

I know the odds are against us, but you really have to believe this is our one and only best chance. We actually almost beat them in Miami and had some banged up guys. Hansbrough I recall wasn't playing that game. Derozan was balling out of control that game.

We have proven we can compete with Miami and Indiana, don't count us out.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,832

Post#14 » by nikster » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:32 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

Yeah but these last few game wouldnt have affected home court advantage in the finals. Neither Pacers or Miami had a chance. OKC and Spurs both clinched it a while ago
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#15 » by RaptorRed » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:

I know the odds are against us, but you really have to believe this is our one and only best chance. We actually almost beat them in Miami and had some banged up guys. Hansbrough I recall wasn't playing that game. Derozan was balling out of control that game.

We have proven we can compete with Miami and Indiana, don't count us out.

I would be more confident if the raptors had someone to guard LeBron. Who is going to do it ? DeMar can't play D , and LeBron has 2 inches and like a 100 pounds on TRoss . It's going to be tough. The Raptors need a legit SF.
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
nikster
RealGM

Post#16 » by nikster » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:52 pm

RaptorRed wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:
Knicks Universe wrote:

Anything can happen. And as Raps fan, we can only hope. this Raptors team is actually great, and has the best record in the league since the trade, so it not out of the question.
Thomps
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Thomps » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Miami has it so easy in the East its a joke. They will sweep to the ECF and by then I sure hope Indy finds themselves. Im actually more worried about CHI/BKN upsetting Indy at this point, the Heat gave away 1st to avoid them.

And there is no way the Rapts have any chance against the Heat, sorry but its true.
Knicks Universe
Banned User
And1: 403

Post#18 » by Knicks Universe » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:28 pm

nikster wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:

Anything can happen. And as Raps fan, we can only hope. this Raptors team is actually great, and has the best record in the league since the trade, so it not out of the question.

Sorry, the Raptors would literally have no chance against the Heat. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh could play only 12 minutes each game and they would still sweep the Raptors. It's nice to believe in your team but let's be realistic here.
nikster
RealGM

Post#19 » by nikster » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Knicks Universe wrote:
nikster wrote:
RaptorRed wrote:

Sorry, the Raptors would literally have no chance against the Heat. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh could play only 12 minutes each game and they would still sweep the Raptors. It's nice to believe in your team but let's be realistic here.

Its not "literally no chance". Raps are one of the best teams in the league. Yes the Heat are heavily favoured, but Raps do have a chance. Bigger upsets have happened.
And please, if Lebron, Wade & Bosh played 12 minutes per game the Raps would sweep the series. Be releastic here.
EDIT: Raps winning percentage since the trade is .667, the same as the Heats this season
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#20 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:42 pm

The Raptors have a great chance against a slightly weaker and banged up Heat team. People need to stop with the "The Raptors would get swept" crap.

Anyone remember "Cavs in 3"?
God. Family. Country. Basketball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion