Hawks Interested In Luol Deng

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Hawks Interested In Luol Deng 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:58 am

The Atlanta Hawks are interested in pursuing Luol Deng, according to sources.

The Hawks will have at least $15 million in cap space following their move for John Salmons on Sunday.

Deng spent the end of the 13-14 season with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Hawk Eye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,071

Re: Hawks Interested In Luol Deng 

Post#2 » by Hawk Eye » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:18 am

Just don't see Danny Ferry giving the max offer to Deng. Don't really think he deserves the max to be honest. If were to make an offer for Deng id feel more comfortable with something like a 4 year contract worth anywhere from 10-11 million per year. So 4/40 or 4/44
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#3 » by shangrila » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:48 am

You'd have to be wary with Deng. He's been run into the ground hard the last few seasons in Chicago and didn't amount to much in Cleveland. Now, that might not be his fault since it's wasn't a great situation but it should still be enough to give any team pause.

Although I thought Atlanta didn't want to make the playoffs? Have they changed their tune?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#4 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 am

shangrila wrote:You'd have to be wary with Deng. He's been run into the ground hard the last few seasons in Chicago and didn't amount to much in Cleveland. Now, that might not be his fault since it's wasn't a great situation but it should still be enough to give any team pause.

Although I thought Atlanta didn't want to make the playoffs? Have they changed their tune?

Where did you hear that? Atlanta is definitely gunning for the playoffs and could even get homecourt advantage. We were third last year until Horford went down.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am

ATL Boy wrote:
shangrila wrote:You'd have to be wary with Deng. He's been run into the ground hard the last few seasons in Chicago and didn't amount to much in Cleveland. Now, that might not be his fault since it's wasn't a great situation but it should still be enough to give any team pause.

Where did you hear that? Atlanta is definitely gunning for the playoffs and could even get homecourt advantage. We were third last year until Horford went down.

Deng is not a max player he will likely get slightly more than what igoudala got with the warriors last summer. Iggy got 4 years 48M from the warriors but passed on a 4 year 60M offer from the kings. Iggy is a better defender and more athletic than deng but luol is a way better scorer. Iggy is also more durable than deng. I think deng will get between 11-15M a season on a 4 year deal.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#6 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:50 pm

I would imagine Ferry offering Deng a Milsap type deal if he is interested in him. Ferry does not overpay people. Or at least he hasn't since he became our GM. I don't see any reason why he would start now. Especially for a player who is about to be 30 and has a ton of mileage on his legs.

The deal will be around 2/20 if one is offered.
hou_fanman
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#7 » by hou_fanman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:31 pm

This is not a good pick up for them. They need to fork that money to upgrade their C position and move Horford back to PF. Again, there is not much in the C market this year but they can still facilitate a trade. If anyone can make that happen its Ferry! Adrien Payne will benefit from a good center also. They should try and convince the Nuggets to for McGee or Hickson.
ATLHawksfan21
Starter
And1: 491

Post#8 » by ATLHawksfan21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:36 pm

hou_fanman wrote:This is not a good pick up for them. They need to fork that money to upgrade their C position and move Horford back to PF. Again, there is not much in the C market this year but they can still facilitate a trade. If anyone can make that happen its Ferry! Adrien Payne will benefit from a good center also. They should try and convince the Nuggets to for McGee or Hickson.

I would rather have Gortat if we must have a Center.
hou_fanman
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#9 » by hou_fanman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:59 pm

ATLHawksfan21 wrote:
hou_fanman wrote:This is not a good pick up for them. They need to fork that money to upgrade their C position and move Horford back to PF. Again, there is not much in the C market this year but they can still facilitate a trade. If anyone can make that happen its Ferry! Adrien Payne will benefit from a good center also. They should try and convince the Nuggets to for McGee or Hickson.

I would rather have Gortat if we must have a Center.

True, he a lot more range than the other 2.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#10 » by D21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Sam195 wrote:I think deng will get between 11-15M a season on a 4 year deal.

Then I would bet Deng is not signing with ATl if for this kind of money.
Millsap is better than Deng, so Ferry won't pay him more.

Remember that before trading him to CLE, CHI was offering Deng an extension for 8M/year. He declined it, but he's not worth a lot more.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:10 pm

D21 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:I think deng will get between 11-15M a season on a 4 year deal.

Remember that before trading him to CLE, CHI was offering Deng an extension for 8M/year. He declined it, but he's not worth a lot more.

The deal they offered was for $10m a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if that bites Deng in the back. His weaknesses, and the fact that Thibs' system made him look great, have been exposed and he seems like a slightly above average guy now. It's hard to see him doing better than the 3/$30m the Bulls offered, and if he does get it it's unlikely he's going to end up on a competitive team.

Return to Wiretap Discussion