LeBron Didn't Care For Riley's End-Of-Season Press Conference

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

LeBron Didn't Care For Riley's End-Of-Season Press Conference 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:11 pm

LeBron James did not receive Pat Riley's now infamous end-of-season press conference especially well, according to multiple sources.

"I think we need to have a perspective about things," Riley said to the media. "I think everybody needs to get a grip—media, Heat players, organization, all of our fans—we got to get a grip on greatness and on teams. I've been here for 45 years in the NBA, and I've witnessed dynasties, I've witnessed great teams. The '80s Lakers, five championships in 12 years. So what does that mean? Seven times they didn't win. In that run, they didn't win. You got to deal with it, you got to come back."

James is currently deciding between re-signing with the Miami Heat or returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Via Ethan Skolnick/Bleacher Report

KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran
And1: 2,309

Re: LeBron Didn't Care For Riley's End-Of-Season Press Confe 

Post#2 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Because in reality Riley needs to get a grip, LeBron's chasing MJ, not 80s Lakers, and it's '10s, not the '80s.
#FreeGuwop
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#3 » by narmerguy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 pm

That may be so, but Riley is probably one of the best GMs to get him closer to MJ's legacy regardless of what he said. Not sure about the McRobert's and Granger signings though, that looks pretty weak.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#4 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Riley blew it, he couldn't build a half decent team around LeBron. Just another failure to add to his legacy as a terrible manager.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#5 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:15 pm

narmerguy wrote:That may be so, but Riley is probably one of the best GMs to get him closer to MJ's legacy regardless of what he said. Not sure about the McRobert's and Granger signings though, that looks pretty weak.

McRoberts for that kind of money is really weak and surprising - was expecting a bigger name...
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#6 » by dautjazz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:50 pm

KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:Because in reality Riley needs to get a grip, LeBron's chasing MJ, not 80s Lakers, and it's '10s, not the '80s.

His point is that even dynasties like the Showtime Lakers had their off years, and won under 50% of the time.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran

Post#7 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 pm

someone tell me what Riley do to help this team other than clear cap?
#FreeGuwop
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#8 » by Chris3323 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:26 pm

KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:someone tell me what Riley do to help this team other than clear cap?

In reality its not Rileys fault.
Lebron will have to do 90% of the work wherever he goes.

But, riley does need to get him knock down shooters like he did Shaq in 04
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#9 » by Chris3323 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Why does Riley think Lebron is a young 20 year old?
Why does Riley think Lebron has a great center to carry some of the load?

Delusional :crazy: :noway: :noway: :crazy:
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran

Post#10 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:30 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
KI-DW-TT-AB wrote:someone tell me what Riley do to help this team other than clear cap?

In reality its not Rileys fault.
Lebron will have to do 90% of the work wherever he goes.

But, riley does need to get him knock down shooters like he did Shaq in 04

not in Cleveland, where the groundwork was built for last 4 years, he can't get these many players on rookie contract so by the time they're up for big money he's also locked in, so all you have to do is operate on bird rights & not free agency.
#FreeGuwop
Allion
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#11 » by Allion » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:
narmerguy wrote:That may be so, but Riley is probably one of the best GMs to get him closer to MJ's legacy regardless of what he said. Not sure about the McRobert's and Granger signings though, that looks pretty weak.

McRoberts for that kind of money is really weak and surprising - was expecting a bigger name...

I thought McRoberts' contract is an MLE, so I don't see it as a fail signing or whatever, it's a cap space exception so Pat can bring in more players
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 4,995

Post#12 » by rockmanslim » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Of course he didn't. This is a guy who named himself king and chosen 1.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,474

Post#13 » by The Laker Kid » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Lebron is a diva and wants to be cuddled. The moment he gets challenged, he folds and finds the nearest exit.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#14 » by RoyalMajesty » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I bet Dwyane Wade is feeling stupid now for opting out the 2 years $42 mil contract. He can thank LeBron James for that :lol:
mosdef
Sophomore
And1: 167

Post#15 » by mosdef » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:02 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Riley blew it, he couldn't build a half decent team around LeBron. Just another failure to add to his legacy as a terrible manager.

seriously?

im not even a heat fan. the opposite of a heat fan

But they just made it to the finals 4 times in a row and won the championship twice.
Thats still really impressive. There was definitely way more than a half decent team around LeBron
some posters acting like the heat were a bad team
TheBallDoLie
Junior
And1: 21

Post#16 » by TheBallDoLie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 pm

The Laker Kid wrote:Lebron is a diva and wants to be cuddled. The moment he gets challenged, he folds and finds the nearest exit.

Yeah that's the big difference between MJ and LBJ. LBJ ever since he was 16 has been told he is the best. Pretty much everyone surrounding him from a young age has been telling him how good he is, and how great he is going to be.

While MJ in high school was getting cut from his high school basketball team. He developed that killer mindset at a young age, cause he was doubted. MJ always said growing up, I just wanted to be known as the best. While LBJ was being told he is the best.

I think that is the difference in the two. And it shows on the court. MJ just has the killer instinct, that will to prove he was better. Very strong minded. Cause he had been doing it since he was a teenager. While LBJ is whole life growing up was the complete opposite. I mean if LBJ was cut from his high school team and had to work his butt off from a young age, who knows how much better he would be.

Not to really take anything away from LBJ cause I'm a huge fan of his. But when watching the two, I think that's where they are different mentally.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#17 » by WesleyExChiFan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:10 pm

If he leaves, it will define his legacy. He will always be the one who ran from adversity.

Riley is a proven GM. He's not running from Cleveland here.

However, using the amnesty on Miller was a cheapskate move by ownership.

Tough to blame him for leaving if he no longer trusts management to sacrifice and do their part.

I hope he explains his decision once he makes it. I'm interested in his perspective on this issue.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,341

Post#18 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:14 pm

mosdef wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Riley blew it, he couldn't build a half decent team around LeBron. Just another failure to add to his legacy as a terrible manager.

seriously?

im not even a heat fan. the opposite of a heat fan

But they just made it to the finals 4 times in a row and won the championship twice.
Thats still really impressive. There was definitely way more than a half decent team around LeBron
some posters acting like the heat were a bad team

What did Riley do to make that team better? He only found guys that came knocking on his door.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#19 » by LukasBMW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Riley was spot on.

Lebron is acting like a spoiled child. How he could have taken offense to what Riley said is absurd.
HixNixKnicksTix
Veteran
And1: 680

Post#20 » by HixNixKnicksTix » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:23 pm

TheBallDoLie wrote:
The Laker Kid wrote:Lebron is a diva and wants to be cuddled. The moment he gets challenged, he folds and finds the nearest exit.

Yeah that's the big difference between MJ and LBJ. LBJ ever since he was 16 has been told he is the best. Pretty much everyone surrounding him from a young age has been telling him how good he is, and how great he is going to be.

While MJ in high school was getting cut from his high school basketball team. He developed that killer mindset at a young age, cause he was doubted. MJ always said growing up, I just wanted to be known as the best. While LBJ was being told he is the best.

I think that is the difference in the two. And it shows on the court. MJ just has the killer instinct, that will to prove he was better. Very strong minded. Cause he had been doing it since he was a teenager. While LBJ is whole life growing up was the complete opposite. I mean if LBJ was cut from his high school team and had to work his butt off from a young age, who knows how much better he would be.

Not to really take anything away from LBJ cause I'm a huge fan of his. But when watching the two, I think that's where they are different mentally.

i like everything you said. but this one thing is wrong. i am from wilmington, nc. i've been to lacey HS many times. i know people who grew up with MJ. MJ wasn't cut from the team. In the 9th grade (first year one is eligible for varsity at the school) he did not make the team. his older brother was on the team and that's the main reason he didn't make varsity. it was unheard of for a 9th grader to be on varsity at the time. he was still a beast on JV. but it's a myth that he wasn't good enough and willed himself to be better. this was all back before aau. coaches at the time were militant, not pawns like LBJ and these young stars have.

Return to Wiretap Discussion