Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,117

Re: Cavaliers Acquire Three Non-Guaranteed Contracts From Ja 

Post#21 » by jigga_man » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:08 am

thinktellectual wrote:
P3JA for 3 wrote:
RoyalMajesty wrote:How about LeBron just go out and get that competitive nature, will, and heart like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant instead of demanding and joining up with star players?

Those guys didnt win with other hall of famers on their team. You realize that, right? Whats the last NBA team to win without 2 future hall of famers? Pistons maybe?...before then, who else? Dont think I can name one.

94 Rockets.

Hakeem was a beast, and he might be the only superstar to win without another star on his team.
That team had: Horry, Cassell, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, Vernon Maxwell and Otis Thorpe (that I remember of).
The only other "all star" on that team was Otis Thorpe (wonder who even remembers him - I guess 95% of realgm didn't even hear his name), and he had only played 4 min in the 91-92 all star game.

And think how brutal the West was for them. Suns, who went to the finals the season prior. Blazers, who went to the finals two seasons prior. The Malone/Stockton Jazz.

And you had Vernon Maxwell, Hakeem's second option who stunk up the finals worse than Dwyane Wade did this year.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#22 » by DJ3thenew23 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 am

thinktellectual wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:All this is happening because lebron whinning ass is demanding it. He is nothing but the biggest diva in nba history. Needs two 20 points scocers next to him just to compete for a ring. Hes not the best player in the game. If he was he wouldnt need a super team around him. I hope da warriors get love. Lediva makes me sick

You must be the real Donald Trump.
You sound just as knowledgeable and insightful.
You should ask for Lebron's birth certificate.

RoyalMajesty wrote:How about LeBron just go out and get that competitive nature, will, and heart like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant instead of demanding and joining up with star players?

Absolutely right.

Can you imagine, say, Jordan complaining about his teammates, especially Pippen and Grant ?
Can you imagine Kobe throwing a teammate under the bus and saying he should be traded for an all star ?
Or, even crazier, can you imagine Kobe asking for help and throwing a hissy fit about a trade he wanted not happening and threatening to ask for a trade ?

That couldn't possibly have happened! Those guys were real competitors! They wouldn't do that, would they?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#23 » by Chuck Newhouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 am

thinktellectual wrote:
P3JA for 3 wrote:

Those guys didnt win with other hall of famers on their team. You realize that, right? Whats the last NBA team to win without 2 future hall of famers? Pistons maybe?...before then, who else? Dont think I can name one.

94 Rockets.

Hakeem was a beast, and he might be the only superstar to win without another star on his team.
That team had: Horry, Cassell, Kenny Smith, Mario Elie, Vernon Maxwell and Otis Thorpe (that I remember of).
The only other "all star" on that team was Otis Thorpe (wonder who even remembers him - I guess 95% of realgm didn't even hear his name), and he had only played 4 min in the 91-92 all star game.

The thing about that team was that they got really hot at the right time. They were an average team all year and they got smokin' hot exactly when it counted. They sort of reminded me of that Houston team a few years back that won 23 (or whatever) in a row except the timing was better.
goldrodd
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by goldrodd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 am

Don't drink the Kool=Aid. Don't trade away the future for right now. Don't jerk with the Karma. Look everything is falling in place, #1 pick, Lebron coming home all you need now is patience. Sure Love could help get you to the finals but if you lose or he get's hurt or if God forbids Lebron decides to leave again what will you have. Love is out of there as soon as the King says so. No i know your don't like this but you develop Wiggins and Kyrie together and wait. Love or another star will come without giving up important role players. San antonio proved that a system can beat stars. Last thought the Lakers got Kobe from the Hornets for Vlade Divac. It looks good in the beginning but after year 3 your totally screwed.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant
And1: 404

Post#25 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:37 am

Chuck Newhouse wrote:The thing about that team was that they got really hot at the right time. They were an average team all year and they got smokin' hot exactly when it counted. .

They started the season 15-0, I don't know how you can call that average.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#26 » by Jonatton Yeah » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 am

Jordan played on stacked teams. No knock on him. But he did. Sorry but, in the case of the Heat - Horace Grant = Bosh, Pippin > Wade. Ever if you disagree with that, you must agree it's an argument. Then you throw in Rodman, Kukoc, Ron Harper, and damn good role players like Paxton and Cartwright. Oh...and Phil Jackson. Those teams were STACKED. Jordan was the obvious leader and certainly earned his accolades, but the comparison to Lebron James is just dumb. The latter is held to an impossible standard, a moving one at that, invented by people who probably never even saw the Bulls play from a point of being mature enough to actually put said play in perspective. CBO is different. The game is different. Pretty much everything other than the 10 foot hoop is different. But I guess you can keep pretending you can put the two in context if that makes the NBA more enjoyable to you or whatever.
That's hilarious and co
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#27 » by Chuck Newhouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am

texasholdem wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:The thing about that team was that they got really hot at the right time. They were an average team all year and they got smokin' hot exactly when it counted. .

Do you remember that season or are you just looking up numbers?

* I may actually be wrong about the year...they won 2 in a row and I think it is the second year I am referring to. I know one of the years was a huge surprise. It may not have been the team that this thread was referring to.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#28 » by IMAN5 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:Just got news on my iPad...

I officially declare this to be my most favorite Jazz roster of all time, in terms of liking everyone from bottom to top. Now that Lucas is gone, I love them all, and want them to play.

as a raptors fan I know that feeling, when we let lucas go it was one of the best days.
instagram.com/510movement
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:55 am

Chuck Newhouse wrote:

Yes I remember that season. 94 was a great year in Houston.
Harden is still a work-in-progress. He can score, but he can't help his teammate that much - Yao Ming
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 am

i know he was traded to get cut or re-traded but John Lucas and LeBron James on the same team is kinda funny.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#31 » by Rashidi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 am

texasholdem wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:

He's obviously referring to 95, when the Rockets were the lowest seeded team to ever win a championship.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 am

Rashidi wrote:
texasholdem wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:

He's obviously referring to 95, when the Rockets were the lowest seeded team to ever win a championship.

Yes but he was responding to someone else talking about the 94 team.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#33 » by Rashidi » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:09 am

jigga_man wrote:
P3JA for 3 wrote:

93-94 Rockets. It's why I laugh when anyone compares any players from this generation to Jordan. None of them are even at Olajuwon's level.

The 94 Rockets wouldn't even sniff playoffs in 2014. The fact that Vernon Maxwell was the starting SG of an NBA champion is not a bonus for Hakeem, it's a knock on the quality of the league at that time. B.J. Armstrong was an all-star in 94 for christ's sake.
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#34 » by thinktellectual » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:12 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:All this is happening because lebron whinning ass is demanding it. He is nothing but the biggest diva in nba history. Needs two 20 points scocers next to him just to compete for a ring. Hes not the best player in the game. If he was he wouldnt need a super team around him. I hope da warriors get love. Lediva makes me sick

You must be the real Donald Trump.
You sound just as knowledgeable and insightful.
You should ask for Lebron's birth certificate.

Absolutely right.

Can you imagine, say, Jordan complaining about his teammates, especially Pippen and Grant ?
Can you imagine Kobe throwing a teammate under the bus and saying he should be traded for an all star ?
Or, even crazier, can you imagine Kobe asking for help and throwing a hissy fit about a trade he wanted not happening and threatening to ask for a trade ?

That couldn't possibly have happened! Those guys were real competitors! They wouldn't do that, would they?

Of course not.
What lies are you gonna tell me next ?
That Jordan punched a teammate ?
That Kobe ran out of town one of the most dominant C's ever and the guy largely responsible for his first 3 rings ?
thinktellectual
Rookie

Post#35 » by thinktellectual » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 am

jigga_man wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
P3JA for 3 wrote:

94 Rockets.

And think how brutal the West was for them. Suns, who went to the finals the season prior. Blazers, who went to the finals two seasons prior. The Malone/Stockton Jazz.

And you had Vernon Maxwell, Hakeem's second option who stunk up the finals worse than Dwyane Wade did this year.

Meh.
Starks more than made up for it with that 2-18 FG.
Miami didn't have such luck this year. Everybody on the Spurs was playing out of their mind.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 am

Rashidi wrote:
jigga_man wrote:
P3JA for 3 wrote:

93-94 Rockets. It's why I laugh when anyone compares any players from this generation to Jordan. None of them are even at Olajuwon's level.

The 94 Rockets wouldn't even sniff playoffs in 2014. The fact that Vernon Maxwell was the starting SG of an NBA champion is not a bonus for Hakeem, it's a knock on the quality of the league at that time. B.J. Armstrong was an all-star in 94 for christ's sake.

Oh please, the league was much more physical back then when hand checking was allowed.
not to mention no flopping. Also 27 teams in the league vs 30 now.

1994 All NBA team
1st team: Malone, Pippen, Olajuwon, Stockton, Sprewell
2nd team: Kemp, Robinson, Barkley, KJ, Richmond

2014 All NBA team
1st team: LeBron, Durant, Noah, Paul, Harden
2nd team: Griffin, Love, Howard, Curry, Parker

...I'll take 1994
thinktellectual
Rookie

Post#37 » by thinktellectual » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:22 am

Chuck Newhouse wrote:
texasholdem wrote:

* I may actually be wrong about the year...they won 2 in a row and I think it is the second year I am referring to. I know one of the years was a huge surprise. It may not have been the team that this thread was referring to.

The way I remember it, in '94 they were pretty strong.
In '95 they looked average, then got Clyde mid-season, Hakeem destroyed David Robinson in the 2nd round, then the Rockets swept a heavily favorite Magic team led by Shaq and Penny.

The only close game was the 1st, which went to OT thanks to the 4 missed FTs by Anderson (what was his first name ?). Poor guy couldn't get over it, and his FT% took a dive afterwards.

By game 4 the Rockets were just toying with the Magic. Hakeem and Clyde had 40+ points in the same game (g3 or g4 I think) and one of the last shots of the finals, if not the last, was a 3 pointer by Hakeem from the right corner.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#38 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:33 am

P3JA for 3 wrote:

Lebron cant play every position...Jordan had Rodman to guard Malone, alone with Pippen. Kobe had Gasol or Shaq to stop the paint, like KG or Webber. Noone wins it by themselves. Lets not be silly. Lebron tried this in like 7 years with Cavs and the best they came up with was D. Marshall, Big Z, D. Gibson, Eric Snow, Pavlovic...cmon.

Hakeem the dream rings a bell and says hey!

He won it with good role players against the Knicks and then had Clyde the following year so yea there haven't been too many that have even come close at all.
texasholdem
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by texasholdem » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:42 am

thinktellectual wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:
texasholdem wrote:

The way I remember it, in '94 they were pretty strong.
In '95 they looked average, then got Clyde mid-season, Hakeem destroyed David Robinson in the 2nd round, then the Rockets swept a heavily favorite Magic team led by Shaq and Penny.

The only close game was the 1st, which went to OT thanks to the 4 missed FTs by Anderson (what was his first name ?). Poor guy couldn't get over it, and his FT% took a dive afterwards.

By game 4 the Rockets were just toying with the Magic. Hakeem and Clyde had 40+ points in the same game (g3 or g4 I think) and one of the last shots of the finals, if not the last, was a 3 pointer by Hakeem from the right corner.

Nick the Brick Anderson.
the Rockets were 30-17 when the Drexler trade happened and 17-18 after the trade.
(for comparison Miami was 34-13 at the same point this season)
So the Drexler trade actually made them worse in the regular season but helped in the playoffs.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#40 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 am

You made a bad choice of words. Lebron clearly doesn't need two 20 point scorers around him to compete for a ring. He didn't have that in Cleveland when they made the Finals and he didn't have that last year either. So clearly, he doesn't NEED two 20 point scorers.

Does he WANT two 20 point scorers? Hell yes. Name one player in the league right now who doesn't? Dwight and Harden begged how many players? Your precious KOBE begged Carmelo to come to LA! And Pau! Carmelo tried to recruit. Nowitzki recruited as well. The list goes on and on.

Didn't Magic have Kareem and Worthy? Didn't Bird have Parrish and McHale?
Didn't Wade have Bosh and James? Didn't Jordan have Pippen, Rodman and Grant?

Why is Lebron any different than any of those guys?
Oh yeah... he ain't on your team. HATE ON HATER.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)

Return to Wiretap Discussion