Raptors Encouraged By Bruno Caboclo's Summer Work

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:12 pm

Bruno Caboclo has spent the summer in North America working on his game and body, along with his grasp of the English language.

“The big thing is we’ve got to get him playing,” said Toronto Raptors assistant coach Jama Mahlalela, who has worked extensively with Caboclo this summer.

“We have to get him in games to see, how can it transfer. We’ve done a summer of skill work. His skills, from where they were, are so improved it’s amazing.

“But it’s not a summer of playing every single day against NBA skill. That’s going to be the next little piece, and we’ll get the month of September to get that worked out.”

Via Doug Smith/Toronto Star

puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Re: Raptors Encouraged By Bruno Caboclo's Summer Work 

Post#2 » by puja21 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Unfortunately, his English language skills are also described as "being two years away from being two years away"
Tdot24
Pro Prospect
And1: 52

Post#3 » by Tdot24 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:08 pm

puja21 wrote:Unfortunately, his English language skills are also described as "being two years away from being two years away"

Fortunately for him, "being two years away from being two years away" is better than not being in the league at all. People who see a negative in his situation only wish they can be in his shoes. Please fill your own shoes and stop worrying about his.
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#4 » by TONYROMOHOF » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Look out nba brazilian durant inbound

Also english is overrated on the court
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#5 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 pm

puja21 wrote:Unfortunately, his English language skills are also described as "being two years away from being two years away"

Not sure why that is so unfortunate? There is plenty of Brazilians in the league that he can talk to, Toronto itself is 56% ethnic and 44% Canadian - I am positive he will find a Brazilian community there. JV doesn't have great English skills either, he gets around just fine - as do a number of other foreign-drafted and signed players.

Plus he has staff who are 100% dedicated to him: trainers, coaches, managers, etc. I am sure they can afford a translator (worst case scenario) for a couple of months to help easy him into it.
2thehoopand1
Starter
And1: 775

Post#6 » by 2thehoopand1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:38 pm

I think he's going work out for Toronto. I think Durant is a high ceiling for this guy but a couple years ago I didn't even know about Durant and his unique skill set for his size. Raps get made fun in this forum for the pick but in the 20's even in this deep draft is a dice roll. Cabolclo's a good get. The only better move was to package Fields and the pick and get his dead weight off the roster/salary cap somehow
Eaglenugget wrote:We got Bosh!!!' Not Discounted!! Lmfao
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#7 » by shadrock » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 am

So much hate for this pick on draft night. Yet now it seems this guy could become a steal. Great move by the Raptors to pick him up. Im guessing we wont hear much from the haters if this does work out.
Econgrad
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#8 » by Econgrad » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm

Rated T By CBRA wrote:

Not sure why that is so unfortunate? There is plenty of Brazilians in the league that he can talk to, Toronto itself is 56% ethnic and 44% Canadian - I am positive he will find a Brazilian community there. JV doesn't have great English skills either, he gets around just fine - as do a number of other foreign-drafted and signed players.

Plus he has staff who are 100% dedicated to him: trainers, coaches, managers, etc. I am sure they can afford a translator (worst case scenario) for a couple of months to help easy him into it.

Wait, so people are either 'ethnic' or 'Canadian'? I thought you were better than that Toronto.
Stylin_on_You
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Stylin_on_You » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm glad that management are encouraged and seen improvement in his game in this small amount of time. That says a lot imo. I believe he will be great.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#10 » by puja21 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:05 pm

Tdot24 wrote:

Fortunately for him, "being two years away from being two years away" is better than not being in the league at all. People who see a negative in his situation only wish they can be in his shoes. Please fill your own shoes and stop worrying about his.

OR

Please stop being so sensitive and stop worrying about internet message boards

Realize I am merely poking fun at the quirky comment during his televised draft assessment

Anyone who can play ball at even the college level has achieved a ton, and this in no way "undermines him" nor does he ever see it, nor would he care if he did

Sheesh, lighten up

:roll:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Iluminar acima meninos!!
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#12 » by GreenRiddler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 pm

I wish Meyers Leonard would do this.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#13 » by GreenRiddler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 pm

shadrock wrote:So much hate for this pick on draft night. Yet now it seems this guy could become a steal. Great move by the Raptors to pick him up. Im guessing we wont hear much from the haters if this does work out.

How could anyone be mad at a risk during the late 1st round, I would be mad if my team didn't go for a risk, not like there is much to lose.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#14 » by LaRance » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 pm

this kid is going to be a star. believe dat
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#15 » by BarbaGrizz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:30 am

madmaxmedia wrote:Iluminar acima meninos!!

lol this makes absolutely no sense in portuguese! :)
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
clw85
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#16 » by clw85 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:28 am

Econgrad wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:

Wait, so people are either 'ethnic' or 'Canadian'? I thought you were better than that Toronto.

Why should we call them Canadian when they don't even consider themselves Canadian unless they the need our help? That's what happens when your government has an open door policy I guess...
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#17 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:39 pm

clw85 wrote:
Econgrad wrote:
Rated T By CBRA wrote:Not sure why that is so unfortunate? There is plenty of Brazilians in the league that he can talk to, Toronto itself is 56% ethnic and 44% Canadian - I am positive he will find a Brazilian community there. JV doesn't have great English skills either, he gets around just fine - as do a number of other foreign-drafted and signed players.

Why should we call them Canadian when they don't even consider themselves Canadian unless they the need our help? That's what happens when your government has an open door policy I guess...

Dudes, its a bball forum - for lack of better term I used ethnic. Canadian vs immigrant? Although essentially everyone in North America is an immigrant - other than the natives who were originally here. All I'm saying is: language should not be a barrier for this young baller.
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#18 » by mawbsta » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm

All citizens of Canada are classified as "Canadians" as defined by Canada's nationality laws. However since 1996, "Canadian" as an ethnic group has been added to census questionnaires for possible ancestry. "Canadian" was included as an example on the English questionnaire and "Canadien" as an example on the French questionnaire.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,739

Post#19 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:22 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:

LOL, I tried to use Google Translate to say "Lighten up guys!" in Portugese.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#20 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:39 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
BarbaGrizz wrote:

LOL, I tried to use Google Translate to say "Lighten up guys!" in Portugese.

In a literal translation it came out something like "put light above boys" lol
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Wiretap Discussion