Popovich Worried Spurs Will Get Satisfied From 14 Championship

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Popovich Worried Spurs Will Get Satisfied From 14 Championship 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Gregg Popovich made sure the San Antonio Spurs used their 2013 NBA Finals defeat as motiviation, but he faces the opposite problem now.

“I'm worried for one reason,” Popovich said. “They are human beings. They are going to feel satisfied.”

The Spurs defeated the Miami Heat in five games for the championship last season. Miami stole Game 2 on the Spurs' home court before losing three in a row.

“When they won Game 2,” Popovich said, “they probably didn't handle that win real well. They were probably thinking that we got lucky in Game 1, with the air conditioning issue, and they thought they were just going to do it again. As two-time defending champs, it was natural. This had become their place in the world.”

The Spurs rebounded from losing Game 2.

“There was a different mantra,” Popovich said. “Boarding the plane, before practices, during shootaround, we said, 'We came here to win two.' We totally believed at that point. We thought we were better.”

Via Buck Harvey/San Antonio Express-News

TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Re: Popovich Worried Spurs Will Get Satisfied From 14 Champi 

Post#2 » by TrueStoryGSW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Doesn't matter, okc gonna be super motivated from last year and with healthy ibaka I think they gonna beat them in 6.
CacchMeIfYouCan
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#3 » by CacchMeIfYouCan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:43 pm

I agree with Pop here. Age won't be an issue, despite the fact everyone will say it is (as usual). It won't be team work either. It will mostly be about effort and necessity. Leonard should really shine this year and I won't be surprised to see Diaw and Splitter make strides towards better avg.'s then last year. Duncan will be Duncan, Parker will be Parker, Manu's number will dwindle but has great support in Danny Green and Belinelli. They will make the Western Conf. Finals but with the Mav's improving, the Clippers removing the Sterling drama and OKC a year stronger and healthier, it should make things really tough. I think the Rockets took a step back, too much team turmoil on the horizon to be successful. The Warriors might be able to make a case if they can stay healthy and the Splash Brothers improve.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#4 » by olive_triangurl » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Michael Beasley will keep them motivated, as he hasn't got a ring yet :nod:
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#5 » by caronimo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:20 pm

well spurs never won back to back championships (2014, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999).
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 pm

CacchMeIfYouCan wrote:I agree with Pop here. Age won't be an issue, despite the fact everyone will say it is (as usual). It won't be team work either. It will mostly be about effort and necessity. Leonard should really shine this year and I won't be surprised to see Diaw and Splitter make strides towards better avg.'s then last year. Duncan will be Duncan, Parker will be Parker, Manu's number will dwindle but has great support in Danny Green and Belinelli. They will make the Western Conf. Finals but with the Mav's improving, the Clippers removing the Sterling drama and OKC a year stronger and healthier, it should make things really tough. I think the Rockets took a step back, too much team turmoil on the horizon to be successful. The Warriors might be able to make a case if they can stay healthy and the Splash Brothers improve.

Hmm... no mention of the Grizz or Blazers in your post. The Blazers got better and the Griz are the only team that gave the Spurs a run last year.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 pm

caronimo wrote:well spurs never won back to back championships (2014, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999).

I think your making his point for him.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#8 » by Rhythm043 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:26 pm

TrueStoryGSW wrote:Doesn't matter, okc gonna be super motivated from last year and with healthy ibaka I think they gonna beat them in 6.

Lol
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#9 » by TrueStoryGSW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Rhythm043 wrote:
TrueStoryGSW wrote:Doesn't matter, okc gonna be super motivated from last year and with healthy ibaka I think they gonna beat them in 6.

Lol

?
CacchMeIfYouCan
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#10 » by CacchMeIfYouCan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:43 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
CacchMeIfYouCan wrote:I agree with Pop here. Age won't be an issue, despite the fact everyone will say it is (as usual). It won't be team work either. It will mostly be about effort and necessity. Leonard should really shine this year and I won't be surprised to see Diaw and Splitter make strides towards better avg.'s then last year. Duncan will be Duncan, Parker will be Parker, Manu's number will dwindle but has great support in Danny Green and Belinelli. They will make the Western Conf. Finals but with the Mav's improving, the Clippers removing the Sterling drama and OKC a year stronger and healthier, it should make things really tough. I think the Rockets took a step back, too much team turmoil on the horizon to be successful. The Warriors might be able to make a case if they can stay healthy and the Splash Brothers improve.

Hmm... no mention of the Grizz or Blazers in your post. The Blazers got better and the Griz are the only team that gave the Spurs a run last year.

I don't personally believe in the Grizz's chances due to lack of offensive fire power and versatility in the front court. The Blazers was def a team I forgot and I actually do think they can make noise again this year. Always been a big fan of Aldridge and Lillard compliments him well. Batum really needs to step up his game and be the 3rd option this year.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#11 » by crazymaso » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:46 am

Rhythm043 wrote:

Lol

Second lol.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#12 » by LaRance » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:32 am

crazymaso wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:

Lol

Second lol.

3rd LoL
Captain Tsubasa
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#13 » by Captain Tsubasa » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am

Don't sleep on OKC, Mavs or Clips. Everybody seems to believe the Spurs have already won the 2015 western conference.
SMH
Junior
And1: 96

Post#14 » by SMH » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:57 am

LaRance wrote:
crazymaso wrote:
Rhythm043 wrote:

Lol

Second lol.

3rd LoL

4th Lol
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#15 » by bb22 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am

I think Pop is right... i can only imagine how emotionally and physically difficult 2, going on 3, finals appearances in a row is. The Heat showed that in this years finals. Then again, the Spurs are a perfectly coached and extremely mature team form top to bottom.
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#16 » by olive_triangurl » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 am

Plus its ok if Manu takes some time off to stay healthy, now that they have Beasley's potential 19ppg (which he averaged for Minny, with 45%fg and 37%downtown).
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#17 » by Donnyxc » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Captain Tsubasa wrote:Don't sleep on OKC, Mavs or Clips. Everybody seems to believe the Spurs have already won the 2015 western conference.

OKC won't win as long as Westbrook and Durant are teammates, unfortunately.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#18 » by Fellow72 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
Captain Tsubasa wrote:Don't sleep on OKC, Mavs or Clips. Everybody seems to believe the Spurs have already won the 2015 western conference.

OKC won't win as long as Westbrook and Durant are teammates, unfortunately.

This, OR if they don't get a better supporting cast. They had virtually the same supporting cast for the last 4 years lol. That is just downright terrible.
teebonze
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#19 » by teebonze » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:the Griz are the only team that gave the Spurs a run last year.

LOL, you obviously forgot about the Mavs giving the Spurs a run in the first round.
What you know about Dirk’s leadership skills is non existent. You don’t have a clue. Your ability to evaluate leadership skills….well you obviously have an overinflated value of your own. Did you take business classes at Marquette?
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#20 » by Flight33 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 pm

SMH wrote:
LaRance wrote:
crazymaso wrote:
Second lol.

3rd LoL

4th Lol

5th LOL