Michael Jordan Disagrees With Players' Preference For Shorter Regular Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Michael Jordan Disagrees With Players' Preference For Shorter Regular Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:28 am

Michael Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, was shocked and a bit bewildered to hear Michael Jordan and Dirk Nowitzki suggest on Wednesday that they would like to see the NBA shorten its regular season from 82 games.

"I love both of those guys but as an owner who played the game, I loved playing,'' Jordan said. "If I wasn't playing 82 games, I still would've been playing somewhere else because that's the love for the game I had. As a player, I never thought 82 games was an issue.

"But if that's what they want to do, we as owners and players can evaluate it and talk about it. But we'd make less money as partners. Are they ready to give up money to play fewer games? That's the question because you can't make the same amount of money playing fewer games.''

James and Nowitzki both believed players would benefit from shorter seasons, while Nowitzki suggested a season in the mid-60s.

Jordan also disagreed with the experiment of shortening individual games by four minutes. The NBA presented the 44-minute game to the owners as an idea but not something that the league is seriously considering instituting.

"I would never shorten the game by four minutes,'' said Jordan, "unless guys were having physical issues.

"It's not like football. We don't really have to worry about concussions and some of the physical damage that football players deal with after they retire. I can understand football players wanting to play fewer games from a physical standpoint. But basketball's not the same. I'm not diminishing the fact that we go through a grueling season. But I wouldn't want to shorten the game or play 15-20 fewer games.''

Via Chris Broussard/ESPN

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Re: Michael Jordan Disagrees With Players' Preference For Sh 

Post#2 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:52 am

Um, Hornets.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#3 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 am

Yay for Jordan calling out the Pampered Generation. 50 years of guys playing 80+ games a season in the NBA, most of them with far fewer luxuries, lesser medical science, and a fraction of the pay. Now oh its all just too much for the Pampered Generation to bear. Poor babies.
narmerguy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,052

Post#4 » by narmerguy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:32 am

Thank ya Jordan!

ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#5 » by ChosunX » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:36 am

If players love the game so much maybe they could sign some temp contracts with overseas clubs. Or there are other national teams that allow for some foreign players to play. There is plenty of high level playing time to go around.
Gannet
Junior
And1: 20

Post#6 » by Gannet » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 am

"Michael Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Hornets, was shocked and a bit bewildered to hear Michael Jordan and Dirk Nowitzki suggest..."

Now we all know what RealGM does is pseudo-journalism at best, but you could have caught this just by re-reading your article once.
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#7 » by batmana » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 am

I also don't understand what's the fuss all of a sudden. It's 82 games, live with it. And shortening the game that's been played that way basically forever is absolutely idiotic, rule changes shouldn't be about changing the entire outlook of a game. I am starting to lose respect for the new management of the League, all they've offered are gimmicks that belong to this board but not to the actual game.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Rashidi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:13 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Yay for Jordan calling out the Pampered Generation. 50 years of guys playing 80+ games a season in the NBA, most of them with far fewer luxuries, lesser medical science, and a fraction of the pay. Now oh its all just too much for the Pampered Generation to bear. Poor babies.

Ironically you miss the entire point while bringing up all the advantages of the modern NBA. The downside of today's NBA is that the regular season is a bore.

March & April are boring as hell in the NBA. Elite teams have already been determined by this point and teams are merely playing out the string until the REAL season starts (the playoffs). Good teams are already holding out their stars.

The only reason teams plays 82 regular season games is to line the owners pockets (Gee, I wonder why Jordan feels that way). Further, Jordan's statements are blatantly hypocritical coming from a player who walked away from the game TWICE including once in the middle of his prime. He absolutely would have been in favor of a shorter regular season. Less wear-and tear + fewer injuries = prolonged careers for the league's top players.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#9 » by Rashidi » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:14 am

batmana wrote:I also don't understand what's the fuss all of a sudden. It's 82 games, live with it. And shortening the game that's been played that way basically forever is absolutely idiotic, rule changes shouldn't be about changing the entire outlook of a game. I am starting to lose respect for the new management of the League, all they've offered are gimmicks that belong to this board but not to the actual game.

Once upon a time the Wild Card was a gimmick. Remind me again how that worked out for MLB?
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#10 » by blind prophet » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:28 am

Gannet wrote:"Michael Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Hornets, was shocked and a bit bewildered to hear Michael Jordan and Dirk Nowitzki suggest..."

Now we all know what RealGM does is pseudo-journalism at best, but you could have caught this just by re-reading your article once.

:lol:

I had to reread it like 5 times to make sure I was not the big dummy.
crazymaso
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#11 » by crazymaso » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:06 am

Rashidi wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:Yay for Jordan calling out the Pampered Generation. 50 years of guys playing 80+ games a season in the NBA, most of them with far fewer luxuries, lesser medical science, and a fraction of the pay. Now oh its all just too much for the Pampered Generation to bear. Poor babies.

Ironically you miss the entire point while bringing up all the advantages of the modern NBA. The downside of today's NBA is that the regular season is a bore.

March & April are boring as hell in the NBA. Elite teams have already been determined by this point and teams are merely playing out the string until the REAL season starts (the playoffs). Good teams are already holding out their stars.

The only reason teams plays 82 regular season games is to line the owners pockets (Gee, I wonder why Jordan feels that way). Further, Jordan's statements are blatantly hypocritical coming from a player who walked away from the game TWICE including once in the middle of his prime. He absolutely would have been in favor of a shorter regular season. Less wear-and tear + fewer injuries = prolonged careers for the league's top players.

Speak for yourself, I love every single date of the NBA Regular Season.

I also like watching in March-April when teams are battling for certain seeds.
TrueStoryGSW
Banned User
And1: 226

Post#12 » by TrueStoryGSW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 am

Players are pussies these days.

Just play ball and stfu. You get a good money for it.
uncleoswald
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#13 » by uncleoswald » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:46 am

Rashidi wrote:

this a thousand times. also in jordan's time there were fewer international players, meaning less obligation for the league at large to participate in extra basketball. however, money talks.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#14 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 am

Have Lebron and Nowitzki supported a 33% paycut too, to support up to 20 less games? How about unguranteed contracts? You got to give to receive.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#15 » by GinWeary » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Rashidi wrote:

So what if the dominant teams have already been determined? Maybe those teams fighting for 5-8 seeds haven't been determined yet and still need more games. I think if you shorten the regular season, then the playoffs getting shortened needs to be considered too. Which I certainly wouldn't want.

As far as your statement about Jordan leaving the game, well, that is idiotic. Anyone knows there were multiple factors involved in that. I don't think it had anything to do with 82 games a season. Heck, he went to go play another sport where even in the minor leagues they play about 140 games, outside, and riding buses to and from every game. Yeah, sounds like he was really worried about a grueling schedule.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
cold_cowboy
Veteran
And1: 2,220

Post#16 » by cold_cowboy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Rashidi wrote:

this is a dumb post considering for the past 5 years or so, the west standings have been determined with the last games played. also if i remember correctly jordan won his first ring and him switching to baseball had something to do with his father, not because he was exhausted.
Shook Ones
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#17 » by Shook Ones » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Jordan keepin it real speakin the truth.

Jordan would play 162 game seasons and still break scoring records.

This generation needs to toughen up (I'm 29 btw so talking bout my own generation).
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Michael Jordan often shocks Michael Jordan.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#19 » by jason bourne » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Rashidi wrote:

LOL. Have you been paying attention to the NBA at all towards end of season? And do you even know about Michael Jordan's career? The playoff races have come down to the wire the last five or so seasons and the top teams were battling for playoff position. Sounds like you're talking through your rear end.

As an NBA fan, I'd be in favor of lesser teams to about 28 teams. The NBA wants to add MORE teams and the league is watered down as is.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
TONYROMOHOF
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#20 » by TONYROMOHOF » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Rashidi wrote:
batmana wrote:I also don't understand what's the fuss all of a sudden. It's 82 games, live with it. And shortening the game that's been played that way basically forever is absolutely idiotic, rule changes shouldn't be about changing the entire outlook of a game. I am starting to lose respect for the new management of the League, all they've offered are gimmicks that belong to this board but not to the actual game.

Once upon a time the Wild Card was a gimmick. Remind me again how that worked out for MLB?

I barely watch baseball anymore presently

Im not sure who does, you hear about baseball fans, but sure dont meet them

Return to Wiretap Discussion