Brett Brown: Nobody Knew Year 2 Would Be Like This

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Re: Brett Brown: Nobody Knew Year 2 Would Be Like This 

Post#21 » by ChosunX » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Scalabrine wrote:man dissing his own players.

I mean, hes right, but damn.

Pop does not coddle his players, if it works for him...
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#22 » by ChosunX » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:47 pm

kacey ring wrote:How long will Brett Brown's job be safe? So long as the 76ers keep drafting players that aren't playing right away then I guess he has some time?

His win % as a head coach is taking a beating.

Isn't he also coaching the Aussies? They can also look at that when judging his coaching.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,070

Post#23 » by Embiid P » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 pm

12footrim wrote:
Stinky Hinkie wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Meh. Give me the 7 or 8 seed and competitive/relevance opposed to becoming the biggest joke in professional sports I've ever seen. It's disgusting to have to cheer trying to build the worst possible team possible and find positives in it I would imagine.

Yup because being perennially stuck as a 7th or 8th seed with a pick in the late teens and all of your cap money tied to players that aren't stars is a great situation to be in. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but give me the bad team's situation every time.

I don't enjoy watching our team play now, but I also understand that it's part of the process.

Process to what? Maybe getting back to a 7th seed if you are lucky 4 years from now. You really think Michael Carter Williams or Nerlans are ever going to stars. I'd rather have competitive teams and be in the playoffs than setting all time futility records and having people think college teams could beat you. I'd rather take my chances that I could draft a Kawhi Leonard or someone in the middle or late draft to get me beyond. The reality is you stand a good chance of bombing your lottery picks regardless and there are plenty of mid to late round gems that show up over the years like Tony Parker.

The process of building a legit contender long-term. When did I say that MCW and Noel would be stars? I mean most realistic Sixers fans don't expect them to be stars merely solid pieces to our core. An all-star appearance by either would be an added bonus though we expect Noel to make first or second all NBA defensive team a few times. We expect Embiid, Saric and our likely top 4 pick this year to carry the scoring load when they arrive.

TBH most of us really couldn't or at least shouldn't care less about what the media or fans of other teams think about our strategy. I for one admire Hinkie for sticking to his guns regardless of public perception towards him.

Will it all work out? We won't know for sure for a few years but at least now we have a much more promising future than we did when we were mediocre. And the higher the draft pick, the more options you have. Not every team is the Spurs.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Embiid P » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Edit: Triple Post
Embiid P
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Embiid P » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Edit: Triple Post
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#26 » by CoreyGallagher » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 pm

12footrim wrote:Process to what? Maybe getting back to a 7th seed if you are lucky 4 years from now. You really think Michael Carter Williams or Nerlans are ever going to stars. I'd rather have competitive teams and be in the playoffs than setting all time futility records and having people think college teams could beat you. I'd rather take my chances that I could draft a Kawhi Leonard or someone in the middle or late draft to get me beyond. The reality is you stand a good chance of bombing your lottery picks regardless and there are plenty of mid to late round gems that show up over the years like Tony Parker.

Those Spurs players you mentioned likely don't win Championships, or at least close to as many, without Tim Duncan... Kawhi Leonard doesn't get you beyond the hump of being on the treadmill of mediocrity to Championship contender.

Sixers hoped to have found their superstar in Embiid, really the only player I would assume is safe on the roster. MCW and Noel may stick around long term, they may be complimentary players to superstar eventually, however I wouldn't be surprised if they don't tbh. There is plenty of math and analysis' that goes to show that top end draft picks are much more likely to succeed than the occasional late round gems that you suggested. Two of the articles that I found on google...

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#27 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:53 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Those Spurs players you mentioned likely don't win Championships, or at least close to as many, without Tim Duncan... Kawhi Leonard doesn't get you beyond the hump of being on the treadmill of mediocrity to Championship contender.

Sixers hoped to have found their superstar in Embiid, really the only player I would assume is safe on the roster. MCW and Noel may stick around long term, they may be complimentary players to superstar eventually, however I wouldn't be surprised if they don't tbh. There is plenty of math and analysis' that goes to show that top end draft picks are much more likely to succeed than the occasional late round gems that you suggested. Two of the articles that I found on google...

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

http://www.82games.com/barzilai1.htm

The Spurs won last year with a 38 year old Duncan who wasn't even an all Star, and were in the finals the year before that, and are the favorite this year to repeat. Certainly more than just about him and a real team of mostly undervalued players.

What are we even talking about here. Are 50+ wins and top 4 seeds are trash now too? You act like that is nothing and basically the only way you have success is to luck into one of the top 10 players like Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Garnett, Kobe (late lottery) etc and win multiple titles. Heck most of those players had to leave the teams that drafted them to win.

Do you even understand the odds of how often those players come along, and then what your chances are of hitting the lottery even if you tank? and then even if you got all that keeping them there until their prime and getting more than the youthful version surrounded by bad players usually because you were tanking?

Do you understand the amount of top 10 picks that bust yearly as well a how easy you could bomb your picks and waste it all? The bottomline is it can be done, building with out these mega stars. Look at the pistons group of misfits in the mid 2000's that took down Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton. Look at the spurs now. Give me a good team and I'll try to figure out the rest if that means drafting Parker or Kawahi middle or late or finding guys traded around like Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed etc off the scrap heap.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:44 pm

12footrim wrote:The Spurs won last year with a 38 year old Duncan who wasn't even an all Star, and were in the finals the year before that, and are the favorite this year to repeat. Certainly more than just about him and a real team of mostly undervalued players.

Do you really believe the Spurs win the Championship even last year without Duncan let alone as many as they have during what has been his tenure? I can't believe somebody is attempting to argue the importance of Tim Duncan to the Spurs...

What are we even talking about here. Are 50+ wins and top 4 seeds are trash now too? You act like that is nothing and basically the only way you have success is to luck into one of the top 10 players like Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, Dirk, Garnett, Kobe (late lottery) etc and win multiple titles. Heck most of those players had to leave the teams that drafted them to win.

So, when did I post that or even imply it? I haven't acted like that is nothing or that it is the sole way to build a successful team, however if given the option to build around a superstar such as those listed than I would prefer to do that than attempt to assemble misfit talent and choosing late lottery every seasons. Also, of those players you mentioned most of them did not have to leave the teams that drafted them, half and half.

Do you even understand the odds of how often those players come along, and then what your chances are of hitting the lottery even if you tank? and then even if you got all that keeping them there until their prime and getting more than the youthful version surrounded by bad players usually because you were tanking?

Do you understand the amount of top 10 picks that bust yearly as well a how easy you could bomb your picks and waste it all? The bottomline is it can be done, building with out these mega stars. Look at the pistons group of misfits in the mid 2000's that took down Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton. Look at the spurs now. Give me a good team and I'll try to figure out the rest if that means drafting Parker or Kawahi middle or late or finding guys traded around like Billups, Ben Wallace, Rasheed etc off the scrap heap.

I do understand how often picks bust yearly, that doesn't change the fact that mathematically many more top picks actually pan out than do late lottery picks...
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by 12footrim » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Do you really believe the Spurs win the Championship even last year without Duncan let alone as many as they have during what has been his tenure? I can't believe somebody is attempting to argue the importance of Tim Duncan to the Spurs...

I never said that but the fact is he's not even an all star anymore, and the Spurs beat the Heat by the biggest margin in finals history mostly by raining 3's and with the least individual driven championship ever. Whoever led them in scoring ( I think Parker) was the lowest in finals history for a champ as well. Clearly TEAM.

You forget a lot depends on if when you take him out and WHO you are pay that 10 or 12 million to. You can get other nice players that do a lot of the same things for the money they are paying him as well that they probably would make look pretty good in their system as well.

I do understand how often picks bust yearly, that doesn't change the fact that mathematically many more top picks actually pan out than do late lottery picks...

Just like I understand mathematically you will probably shatter some futility records this year. Enjoy your path and becoming the biggest joke in sports history. I'd rather have a respectable teams and take my chances on drafting studs later and building around sly trades like other teams have as well than whatever you think your doing and all the negative that comes with it you'll endure even if it eventually somehow worked.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:54 pm

12footrim wrote:I never said that but the fact is he's not even an all star anymore, and the Spurs beat the Heat by the biggest margin in finals history mostly by raining 3's and with the least individual driven championship ever. Whoever led them in scoring ( I think Parker) was the lowest in finals history for a champ as well. Clearly TEAM.

He should have been an All Star, winningest team in the league, 21st in the league in PER, the second highest DRAPM (5.03).

You forget a lot depends on if when you take him out and WHO you are pay that 10 or 12 million to. You can get other nice players that do a lot of the same things for the money they are paying him as well that they probably would make look pretty good in their system as well.

There is not a single player that you could sign for $10-12m that had played over 2000 minutes and contributed as cited above.

Just like I understand mathematically you will probably shatter some futility records this year. Enjoy your path and becoming the biggest joke in sports history. I'd rather have a respectable teams and take my chances on drafting studs later and building around sly trades like other teams have as well than whatever you think your doing and all the negative that comes with it you'll endure even if it eventually somehow worked.

Denouement remains unwritten, entire narrative hinges on that. Regarding the rest of your post, we have different opinions, so be it.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by 12footrim » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:50 am

CoreyGallagher wrote:
12footrim wrote:I never said that but the fact is he's not even an all star anymore, and the Spurs beat the Heat by the biggest margin in finals history mostly by raining 3's and with the least individual driven championship ever. Whoever led them in scoring ( I think Parker) was the lowest in finals history for a champ as well. Clearly TEAM.

He should have been an All Star, winningest team in the league, 21st in the league in PER, the second highest DRAPM (5.03).

Kind of what happens when you don't even play 30 minutes a game. See the Spurs were loaded which goes to the earlier point I made about their team. They really didn't even need him playing 35 every game to get to #1 in a loaded west. He could just take nights off even to go with lower minutes. Hell their entire team took nights off they were so deep and none of the stars played over 30 a game.

Team. That's what they had, mostly of undervalued lower round draft picks and players taken off the junk heap and a 38 year old Tim Duncan they really didn't even need to over work to win games because they had a bad ass team. Largest margin of victory in finals history.

There is not a single player that you could sign for $10-12m that had played over 2000 minutes and contributed as cited above.

How about Paul Milsap? He's a pretty good replacement at PF to play beside of Spliter, All Star, similar PER makes even less money, didn't sign with some major market historical franchise. Maybe had the Spurs had that money they just spend it on him in Free Agency. Seems like a Spur kind of guy too.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to Wiretap Discussion