D'Angelo Russell To Declare For Draft, Deciding Upon Representation

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

D'Angelo Russell To Declare For Draft, Deciding Upon Representation 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 am

D'Angelo Russell plans to declare for the 2015 NBA Draft within the next two days, sources tell RealGM.

Russell is deciding upon an agency.

Russell averaged 19.3 points, 5.7 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 1.6 steals per game in his freshman season at Ohio State.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Re: D'Angelo Russell To Declare For Draft, Deciding Upon Representation 

Post#2 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:11 am

What a shocking development, didnt see this coming.....
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3 » by bqmuzik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

I really don't think the kid is that good. He's a lottery pick who can score on college defenses that will just end up a decent option off the bench.
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#4 » by castor777 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:00 pm

bqmuzik wrote:I really don't think the kid is that good. He's a lottery pick who can score on college defenses that will just end up a decent option off the bench.

I'm with you, I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. It didn't help that OSU played very uninspired this season, but he too often took so many plays off where he looks very sloppy and disinterested. He has a good scoring ability, but I really kind of got a Dion Waiters vibe from the kid and just never really liked him that much. Analysts seem to think his game will be better at the pro level, so we'll see.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#5 » by bqmuzik » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:32 pm

castor777 wrote:
bqmuzik wrote:I really don't think the kid is that good. He's a lottery pick who can score on college defenses that will just end up a decent option off the bench.

I'm with you, I just didn't see what all the fuss was about. It didn't help that OSU played very uninspired this season, but he too often took so many plays off where he looks very sloppy and disinterested. He has a good scoring ability, but I really kind of got a Dion Waiters vibe from the kid and just never really liked him that much. Analysts seem to think his game will be better at the pro level, so we'll see.

His frame just doesn't scream star to me. I think it was Reggie Miller who was all over his nuts during the tournament. Most young 2 guards who come out dont amount to much. Outside of Klay and Harden....the position has no real young star.
ahardknicklife
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by ahardknicklife » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:12 pm

castor777 wrote:

Considering he scored 19 ppg his freshman year, not sure how you can compare him at all to Waiters. He also shot over 40% from 3 and had more rebounds and assists per game than Waiters did his sophomore year. Just a horribly uneducated comparison.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#7 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:27 pm

bqmuzik wrote:
castor777 wrote:

His frame just doesn't scream star to me. I think it was Reggie Miller who was all over his nuts during the tournament. Most young 2 guards who come out dont amount to much. Outside of Klay and Harden....the position has no real young star.

reggie doesn't just heap praise either. he likes him because he sees that star quality. i see something special in him too that is greater than his physical gifts.

that said, i'd rank him behind the bigs. but i'd probably take him as the first guard. i think he will be a lot like brandon roy in the pros, but with even better handle and court vision.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 210

Post#8 » by bgrep14 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Whoever compared him to Waiters is just a moron. This guy is a stud, he'll be an all star at some point in his career
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:48 pm

bqmuzik wrote:
castor777 wrote:

Dumb comment

His frame doesn't scream star? Really? His frame?

Do all NBA all-stars have the same frame?

Not in the slightest...
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#10 » by MaxRider » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 pm

i actually think Russell will have a better NBA career than Okafor and Towns
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#11 » by JazzMatt13 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 am

With this announcement, I am now confused on what I want. Pre-April I was willing to do what needed to draft him on Jazz, including this 1st round and 2nd, and future plus cash. But Rodney Hood has shined like a star when given his 30+ mpg, and now I don't think Jazz even need a guard. Hayward and Hood are both solid all-stars for wings, while Jazz still have Magic Man Alec Burks, aka Houdini, with Joe Inges, Elijah Millsap and now Chris Johnson as quality deep bench players. Then Jazz have Booker who has become a beast when given responsibility, so I don't think Jazz need anyone from this draft, like I don't even know if we have a need at any position. PG is our weakest spot, and we already got 2 projects there.

Q-If you were pretending to be me, a fake Jazz GM, would you draft with your pick for a new 4th big at around 11th overall maybe 12th, priority on Center, or do you bring in your Ante Tomic from Barcelona or Pleiss from FC Barcelona who are both own by Jazz, and auction the lottery pick (assuming its nothing better than 10th overall)?
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#12 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:42 am

MaxRider wrote:i actually think Russell will have a better NBA career than Okafor and Towns

Wouldn't surprise me.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#13 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:44 am

bqmuzik wrote:
castor777 wrote:

I think Russell is more of a combo guard than just exclusively a 2 guard. That of course all depends on who drafts him.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran

Post#14 » by Fresh360Waves » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:46 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:With this announcement, I am now confused on what I want. Pre-April I was willing to do what needed to draft him on Jazz, including this 1st round and 2nd, and future plus cash. But Rodney Hood has shined like a star when given his 30+ mpg, and now I don't think Jazz even need a guard. Hayward and Hood are both solid all-stars for wings, while Jazz still have Magic Man Alec Burks, aka Houdini, with Joe Inges, Elijah Millsap and now Chris Johnson as quality deep bench players. Then Jazz have Booker who has become a beast when given responsibility, so I don't think Jazz need anyone from this draft, like I don't even know if we have a need at any position. PG is our weakest spot, and we already got 2 projects there.

Q-If you were pretending to be me, a fake Jazz GM, would you draft with your pick for a new 4th big at around 11th overall maybe 12th, priority on Center, or do you bring in your Ante Tomic from Barcelona or Pleiss from FC Barcelona who are both own by Jazz, and auction the lottery pick (assuming its nothing better than 10th overall)?

If it were me, I think I would try to shop Utah's draft pick for this year. Utah has a solid core of players right now and don't really need many more rookies unless you're trying to fill out the bench. I don't know too much about Tomic or Pleiss, but Utah should keep tabs on them closely and maybe try to get a deal done w/ one of them. As far as PG, I think Utah should continue to develop Exum considering how young he is.

Return to Wiretap Discussion