Andrew Wiggins To Be Named NBA Rookie Of The Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Andrew Wiggins To Be Named NBA Rookie Of The Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:08 pm

Andrew Wiggins will be named the NBA's 14-15 Rookie of the Year.

Wiggins will officially be named on Thursday.

Wiggins was the top overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! Sports

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Re: Andrew Wiggins To Be Named NBA Rookie Of The Year 

Post#2 » by CoreyGallagher » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Not my choice, although I have no qualms. he scored and played well enough. Congrats to Wiggs.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
jaemulla
Freshman
And1: 37

Post#3 » by jaemulla » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:43 pm

Hands down best rookie no question...Jabari might've gave him a run for his money but no one else is one his level.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#4 » by ADDinChicago » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:28 pm

Shocking... not. When Jabari Parker went down, unfortunately, the race was over. Nikola Mirotic is the man, however.

You get rewarded by getting to play a lot of garbage minutes and needing to score on a horrendous team. Well done, Wiggins. Well done.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#5 » by tk76 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:38 am

Congrats to Wiggins. Also props to Mirotic on a great rookie season.

And as a Sixer fan, it was immenely entertaining to watch Nerlens break out:pt 1 and 2 https://youtu.be/xJTCq7p-1os https://youtu.be/DCWi5msP_ZY
Led rooks in reb, stl, blocks FG%, 4th in NBA in def box plus minus, the only NBA player top 10 in stl and blk... and held opponents to 44% at the rim. Unfortunately, his offense did not blossom until after MCW was traded away (scoring jumped to 13 per gm and FG% took off.)

Add in Payton and a bunch of raw and/or injured rookies, and this may turn out to be a really great draft class.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#6 » by tk76 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:42 am

ADDinChicago wrote:Shocking... not. When Jabari Parker went down, unfortunately, the race was over. Nikola Mirotic is the man, however.

You get rewarded by getting to play a lot of garbage minutes and needing to score on a horrendous team. Well done, Wiggins. Well done.

And on the flip side, rookies on quality teams get to hide their flaws by not having to guard the opponent's best players, and not being the focal point of every opposing defense. Mirotic certainly would have scored more had he played for Minny- but he also would have been exposed more defensively and been a whole lot less efficient without quality teammates around him. So the blade cuts both ways.
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#7 » by Rated T By CBRA » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:10 am

tk76 wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:Shocking... not. When Jabari Parker went down, unfortunately, the race was over. Nikola Mirotic is the man, however.

And on the flip side, rookies on quality teams get to hide their flaws by not having to guard the opponent's best players, and not being the focal point of every opposing defense. Mirotic certainly would have scored more had he played for Minny- but he also would have been exposed more defensively and been a whole lot less efficient without quality teammates around him. So the blade cuts both ways.

What this man said: plus Wiggins is surrounded by mainly young players still developing...while Mirotic is part of a championship team: Rose, Noah, Gibson, Butler, etc. The support is stronger for Mirotic and shots might come easier than they do for Wiggins..
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#8 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:31 am

wow.. mirotic is nice i love his game. but cmon dude, did u even see wiggins play? Wiggins has star potential, miro is not a first option, i dont see it.. this is so obvious. I mean yea he can be a stud at being a #3 on a good team but i dont think he will become more than that. Other than that what people already said.

And btw. Miro is 40% from the field with 31% from three.. wiggins was 43% FG's and 31% from 3 So i dunno about efficency. It would be more interesting to see wiggins on the bulls tbh
im bout dat action boss
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#9 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 am

RottenApple wrote:

wow.. mirotic is nice i love his game. but cmon dude, did u even see wiggins play? Wiggins has star potential, miro is not a first option, i dont see it.. this is so obvious. I mean yea he can be a stud at being a #3 on a good team but i dont think he will become more than that. Other than that what people already said.

And btw. Miro is 40% from the field with 31% from three.. wiggins was 43% FG's and 31% from 3 So i dunno about efficency. It would be more interesting to see wiggins on the bulls tbh

Of course I saw Wiggins play. He's great. But his team is absolute garbage. I think to be a RoY, it should be about actual contribution to your team and how you team does should factor into it. Not because you put up a ton of numbers solely because your team was playing catchup all season. To each their own. Just like I think MVP should go to the most valuable player and not the player who put up insane offensive numbers as it's become.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#10 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:02 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:Of course I saw Wiggins play. He's great. But his team is absolute garbage. I think to be a RoY, it should be about actual contribution to your team and how you team does should factor into it. Not because you put up a ton of numbers solely because your team was playing catchup all season. To each their own. Just like I think MVP should go to the most valuable player and not the player who put up insane offensive numbers as it's become.

I agree with you on the MVP award. But the best rookie should get the ROY, no matter how the team plays IMO. And Andrew Wiggins is just the better rookie and i think he kind of contributed more than mirotic, since wiggins played almost twice as many minutes, shot better percentages or around the same as mirotic and like already said he was the focal point on both ends of the field.

Obviously it didnt lead to success, because he has no butler, noah, gasol, etc. But i understand what you are saying.
im bout dat action boss
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#11 » by Donnyxc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 pm

It's Rookie of the Year. Not Most Valuable Rookie...
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#12 » by ebrian » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Impossible to really evaluate this thing between Mirotic and Wiggins. Both are just good players, and as fans we just hope they will get even better.

He didn't win ROY but when the Boston Celtic drafted Rajon Rondo, I questioned whether he would be up to the task playing with future HOFers Garnett, Pierce and Allen. (In truth I was rooting against him). But he really held his own and there were times when he was really pouring it on even when any of those old guys were out. But now you see him on Dallas and it makes you wonder. Maybe just the right place at the right time.

Conversely, there is Kevin Love who has looked like an absolute beast over his career on a horrible Timberwolves team. This earned him a big contract and led to Lebron wanting him on his Cavs. Since then Love has looked like a shell of his former self.

So on that note, you really can't know. Mirotic is a very good player, but big men rookies usually have a lot of flaws, which are not evident in Mirotic's game due to being surrounded by very skilled big men in Noah and Gasol. Wiggins looks flawed, but scores a lot and seems to have superpower in him, but there's no one around him.

As a fan of the sport I'm just encouraged by the level of talent and hope that everyone will get better.

Return to Wiretap Discussion