Warriors' 28-Year-Old Special Assistant Suggested Starting Iguodala

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Warriors' 28-Year-Old Special Assistant Suggested Starting Iguodala 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:23 am

The Golden State Warriors started Andre Iguodala instead of Andrew Bogut in Game 4.

"Starting Andre suggestion came from Nick U'Ren, youngest guy on the Warriors' staff (age 28). Everyone on staff has a voice in things," reported Strauss on Twitter.

Steve Kerr admitted to lying to the media about the decision during his postgame press conference.

U'Ren is special assistant to Steve Kerr and was previously an assistant video coordinator with the Phoenix Suns.

Via Ethan Strauss/ESPN

kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 740

Re: Warriors' 28-Year-Old Special Assistant Suggested Starting Iguodala 

Post#2 » by kacey ring » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 pm

They couldn't think of a better job title for this guy?

Also, looks like RealGm is about to roll out a new feature for executives, coaching staffs, and front office employees. Bout time
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:46 pm

"Hey Nick, Ur-en kid. Nice work.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by jlokine » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm

why do they make it sound like this was a gutsy move? it really isnt.. it's not like throwing dellevedova into starting line up over a healthy irving. iguodala was a franchise player for 76ers after iverson left. he knows what it takes. he is their best defender for lebron anyway.. nba2k15 has him rated over 85. he really isnt a scrub/"just a role player". sure he isnt his 76ers self.. but he isnt worse than harrison barnes. (not to say barnes is a terrible player). if their concern was scoring off the bench, they have barbosa, speights, barnes, off the bench. all capable of 10-12 points any given night. and it's the finals, your starters are playing 36-42 minutes in a close game anyway.
you cant stagger thompson and curry for 6 minutes over the course of 48??
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#5 » by hyberx » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Now if NBA coaching is as simple as NBA2k15. The concern, obviously, was giving up the rebounding and shot blocking that Bogut brings to the table. That's why there needed to be a careful discussion and planning to do something your team has not done consistently all season long. It's way more than putting the guy in.

Had they lost the game, the media would be all over Kerr for being silly and desperate for such a "dumb" move.

Sometimes it takes an "outsider" who is not head deep in the game to come up with out side of the box ideas. Kudo to this kid and a gutsy move for Kerr to really pull it off.

Return to Wiretap Discussion