Matthew Dellavedova, Cavs Progressing On Multi-Year Deal

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:48 am

The Cleveland Cavaliers and Matthew Dellavedova are making progress on a new multi-year contract in the $3 million to $5 million range, sources tell RealGM.

Via Shams Charania/RealGM

whitemamba12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Matthew Dellavedova, Cavs Progressing On Multi-Year Deal 

Post#2 » by whitemamba12 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:28 am

Thompson, Love, Irving, and LeBron all get max deals. Shumpert gets 40 million. Varejao and Haywood make 10 mil per each. Mozgov makes 5 and Miller makes 3. And somehow they still have money for Deli. I guess the Cavs operate w/o a salary cap.
Kurosawa0
Analyst
And1: 3,276

Post#3 » by Kurosawa0 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:52 am

whitemamba12 wrote:Thompson, Love, Irving, and LeBron all get max deals. Shumpert gets 40 million. Varejao and Haywood make 10 mil per each. Mozgov makes 5 and Miller makes 3. And somehow they still have money for Deli. I guess the Cavs operate w/o a salary cap.

No. You just don't understand how the cap works.

Kevin Pelton actually did a good job of explaining it on his chat today.

The NBA's salary cap is a soft one, meaning there are various ways to exceed it. In particular, teams are allowed to re-sign players who have spent at least three years with the team (or on the same contract in the case of trades) for any amount. That's allowing the Cavaliers to re-sign their own free agents. They will pay one of the largest luxury-tax bills on record.
EmperorLocky
Sixth Man
And1: 3,027

Post#4 » by EmperorLocky » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:25 am

Well put Kurosawa0

Also a early, touch wood, congrats to Delly on a multi-year and multi-million dollar contract. All that hard work is paying off. Keep up the hard work of course, would love to see you still in the NBA in your 30s.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#5 » by JCruz6 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:33 am

whitemamba12 wrote:Thompson, Love, Irving, and LeBron all get max deals. Shumpert gets 40 million. Varejao and Haywood make 10 mil per each. Mozgov makes 5 and Miller makes 3. And somehow they still have money for Deli. I guess the Cavs operate w/o a salary cap.

I wondered the same thing a few years back, then I got my questions answered when I played Association in NBA 2K.
In the game, it's called Bird rights.

Any players that have been with your team for a certain amount of years, you can resign them without being limited by the cap.
Soooo, the loophole is that you sign free agents first (those that don't have bird rights) until you reach the cap limit, then you can use the bird rights on players that were part of your team to go over the limit and offer them as much as you like.

In the game, if you do the reverse it doesn't work because the bird rights still count towards the cap so then you couldn't use the loophole because you used your cap on a player who you had bird rights too.

Resigning all the player that don't have bird rights now (Thompson, Love, Shumpert, etc) and now they can give LeBron a kings ransom without worrying about the cap limit.
whitemamba12
Ballboy

Post#6 » by whitemamba12 » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:35 am

Kurosawa0 wrote:

The NBA's salary cap is a soft one, meaning there are various ways to exceed it. In particular, teams are allowed to re-sign players who have spent at least three years with the team (or on the same contract in the case of trades) for any amount. That's allowing the Cavaliers to re-sign their own free agents. They will pay one of the largest luxury-tax bills on record.

Just being facetious. The soft cap is one of the dumber concepts in sports. Either have a hard cap or no cap.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#7 » by johnnyballgame » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:50 am

whitemamba12 wrote:
Kurosawa0 wrote:

Just being facetious. The soft cap is one of the dumber concepts in sports. Either have a hard cap or no cap.

The "cap" was $28 million back in the day and Jordan by himself made $30 million. They were able to go out and sign Rodman to a $9 million a year. The Cavs lost the contracts of Hot Rod Williams and several other high paid players within years and we're always in cap jail. It's never made any sense. You've always had to have to right lawyer or accountant to get anywhere in this world.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
WarriorsEFC
Rookie
And1: 1,111

Post#8 » by WarriorsEFC » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:03 pm

LOL $3-5 million is still overpaid, If Dellavedova is their backup PG then the Cavs are going nowhere again next year.
73-9 - GTOAT.
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#9 » by Jazzing » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:10 pm

4y/30M
Gilbert was vacationing in Colorado.
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#10 » by asuran » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:37 pm

Show this 8th man his money!!
Mondo Sports
Freshman

Post#11 » by Mondo Sports » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:26 pm

The Australian JJ Barea
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#12 » by Cassius » Sat Jul 4, 2015 3:43 am

They should just give him 100% commission on his jersey sales.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Wiretap Discussion