Manu Ginobili's New Deal Worth $5.75M Over Two Seasons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Manu Ginobili's New Deal Worth $5.75M Over Two Seasons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Manu Ginobili officially signed his new contract with the San Antonio Spurs on Monday.

Ginobili signed a two-year, $5.75 million deal with a player option included for Year 2.

Ginobili has spent his entire NBA career with the Spurs since joining the franchise in 2002. Ginobili will be 38 this season.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Re: Manu Ginobili's New Deal Worth $5.75M Over Two Seasons 

Post#2 » by nba2k16 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:46 pm

Curious to see how much him and Duncan have left and if they will opt in to their below market contracts next year

I think if they come back, with the cap rising, Spurs will make sure they get paid really really well to compensate for the paycut this year for Aldridge
mawbsta
Senior
And1: 46

Post#3 » by mawbsta » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 pm

nba2k16 wrote:Curious to see how much him and Duncan have left and if they will opt in to their below market contracts next year

I think if they come back, with the cap rising, Spurs will make sure they get paid really really well to compensate for the paycut this year for Aldridge

why would that change anything? You have to understand the rationale behind the veterans' decision to take a paycut - to add talent so they can WIN NOW. They have long demonstrated a sacrifice for the team - Duncan has taken 3 paycuts so far, and both Gino and Tim have been underpaid by NBA standards for quite some time.

Next year only further enhances the possibility that the Spurs can reach out and grab a max player to compliment the new recruits (aldridge) and aging stars.

it would go against everything those players stand for to all of a sudden expect/demand/accept more money just because there happens to be a Cap increase.
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#4 » by nba2k16 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:13 pm

mawbsta wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:Curious to see how much him and Duncan have left and if they will opt in to their below market contracts next year

why would that change anything? You have to understand the rationale behind the veterans' decision to take a paycut - to add talent so they can WIN NOW. They have long demonstrated a sacrifice for the team - Duncan has taken 3 paycuts so far, and both Gino and Tim have been underpaid by NBA standards for quite some time.

Next year only further enhances the possibility that the Spurs can reach out and grab a max player to compliment the new recruits (aldridge) and aging stars.

it would go against everything those players stand for to all of a sudden expect/demand/accept more money just because there happens to be a Cap increase.

Well I think it's great they took so many paycuts and I know they're giving up a lot but it must have been with the understand that they will get paid for it. I think Duncan and Manu will get Kobe contracts next year as a thank you

Look none of these guys involved here are stupid. Pop Duncan and Manu all know they are helping the team out now and have been, and I think they agreed upon getting their money next year

No one is really that nice. The nba is a business and anytime it looks like a team or player is being generous, they really are just self interested, which isn't necessarily a bad thing

Wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan get 2 years $50M and Manu 2 years $30M next off season
Zeus LA
Junior
And1: 118

Post#5 » by Zeus LA » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:57 am

nba2k16 wrote:
mawbsta wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:Wouldn't be surprised to see Duncan get 2 years $50M and Manu 2 years $30M next off season

This is one of the worst takes I've seen in 20+ years of following basketball. I don't follow the Spurs but you have to be completely ignorant or new to the game if you could muster this take on either TD, Ginobili or the Spurs. SMH+
And now it's over to...Moira
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#6 » by nba2k16 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:13 am

Zeus LA wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
mawbsta wrote:

This is one of the worst takes I've seen in 20+ years of following basketball. I don't follow the Spurs but you have to be completely ignorant or new to the game if you could muster this take on either TD, Ginobili or the Spurs. SMH+

Why is this so hard to believe? I'm not calling them greedy. I am actually praising them for taking all those paycuts over the years. But this year is really an extreme paycut. I think the Spurs recognize how much they've done for the team and will reward them for it this way and through front office jobs when they retire

It's not unreasonable. They will have the cap space to do it. Realistically, they won't be using that space on bringing in another big name free agent. Traditionally, the Spurs don't attract the big names. Aldridge is the exception, not the rule. It worked out great for them this year and it will make this team good for a long time though. Really took advantage of his desire to win and do it in a good environment close to home.

Having Duncan, Manu, LA, Parker, Danny Green and Leonard locked up for the next few years means a contender for many years to come. This time though, Duncan and Manu will at least get some of that money that they gave up back as a token of their loyalty

Return to Wiretap Discussion