Celtics Offered Four First Rounders To Hornets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Celtics Offered Four First Rounders To Hornets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:24 pm

The Boston Celtics offered four first-round picks to the Charlotte Hornets for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9. The Celtics were targeting Justise Winslow while the Hornets were settled on taking Frank Kaminsky.

The Celtics offered the 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Atlanta Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Memphis Grizzlies or Minnesota Timberwolves.

Some members of the Hornets' front office wanted to do the deal with the Celtics, but Michael Jordan preferred Kaminsky over first rounders outside the lottery.

Via Zach Lowe/Grantland

lefisto
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Celtics Offered Four First Rounders To Hornets 

Post#2 » by lefisto » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Honest question, Is Frank Kamisky an upgrade over Cody Zeller?
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm

lefisto wrote:Honest question, Is Frank Kamisky an upgrade over Cody Zeller?

Yes, albeit only a slight one. Miami got this year's steal of the draft based on the hype train so far. I think the 76ers got a great option with Okafor, especially now that Embiid is out for another season.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:59 pm

This would have been fireworks for sure. Not sure how WInslow slipped.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#5 » by Lwcasu » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

lefisto wrote:Honest question, Is Frank Kamisky an upgrade over Cody Zeller?

Completely different type of players. Frank is one of the best shooters in the draft, and probably compares shooting to a guy like Dirk. He also has some of the best low post moves in the draft, after Okafor. He will not be a good defensive player. Where as Cody is a really good PNR player, incredibly athletic, and who can shoot a little mid range, but has about zero post game. He plays decent defense.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#6 » by imDatknicksTape » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:08 pm

MJ will regret this one...

you take frank kaminsky when u already have zeller and spencer hawes.. I dont know what hornets are thinking.

4 1st rd picks is a steal for either frank or loss-slow
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:35 pm

This seems highly unlikely. The Hornets couldn't possibly have thought Kaminsky was of greater value than 4 first round picks.

Screw up passing on Winslow and screw up on not taking a deal like this?!? The Michael Jordan era continues!
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#8 » by the_process » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Cho,

They offered you an unprotected BKN pick and you said no? For Frank Kaminsky?? Wow, Jordan must have some pretty good s*** in his office, I want some of that.
MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Post#9 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Donnyxc wrote:This would have been fireworks for sure. Not sure how WInslow slipped.

GMs and coaches saw that Winslow is not 6'6 and closer to 6'4 so he's really between a 2 and 3! Barkley was listed as 6'6 and was shorter but Barkley was a freak of nature! Winslow may become a star but players drop in the draft all time for various reasons...
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#10 » by Years90Suns » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm

I have not seen anything special in Winslow yet.
6-5, may be, no shooting range, no good handling (or any handling)..

Yes, he is a gressive, he is a fighter, he plays defense... but, come on, he will be just a good role player in a very good scenario.

Kaminsky could be a burst, but he has many more tools than Winslow to be a good player, even a second echelon star player in this league. He is 7 or 7-1, has a long reach, can shoot, can play inside out, is intelligent (not as Winslow) and can play at least two positions.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#11 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:23 pm

I would have taken the picks. Frank the tank could have very likely slipped to 15.
Credits to Jstock12
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#12 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:55 pm

If this is true then MJ just saved Ainge's job.

My lord. That's more then teams get for trading star players like KG in 08, and Deron Williams, and Carmelo Anthony, and and and...
your boy
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#13 » by your boy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:00 pm

MJ is such a bad owner.
Luke Harper
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#14 » by Luke Harper » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:50 pm

Frank will be another failed project at Hornets after 2 years like Biyombo or Zeller. Problem with Jordan managing style is he is a trend follower but never good at it. As we see that this year the trend is shooting and versetile defense. To me Frank is a rich mans Frank Novak so he is not a modern day big men, he is an everyday off the bench big men shooter.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#15 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:36 pm

oh, man. even though i like frank, i would have taken those picks and ran. i'd have taken bobby portis at 15 if i were sold on a big.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#16 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46 pm

I would have took Kaminsky over those picks also
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#17 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm

If the Brooklyn unprotected was really included this was a huge mistake on the Bobcats part and I like Kaminsky
kacey ring
Bench Warmer
And1: 725

Post#18 » by kacey ring » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 pm

Luke Harper wrote:Frank will be another failed project at Hornets after 2 years like Biyombo or Zeller. Problem with Jordan managing style is he is a trend follower but never good at it. As we see that this year the trend is shooting and versetile defense. To me Frank is a rich mans Frank Novak so he is not a modern day big men, he is an everyday off the bench big men shooter.

Is Frank Novak the twin brother of Steve Novak that works at Statefarm? ☺
Praj
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Praj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

I would rather take the chance of getting 4 mediocre players that have a chance of being able to stick in the NBA than 1 player who for sure can stick in the NBA as of for the trade 8-) 8-)
Jaxon
Rookie
And1: 862

Post#20 » by Jaxon » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:27 pm

MrNYYNYGNYK wrote:GMs and coaches saw that Winslow is not 6'6 and closer to 6'4 so he's really between a 2 and 3! Barkley was listed as 6'6 and was shorter but Barkley was a freak of nature! Winslow may become a star but players drop in the draft all time for various reasons...

No he is closer to 6'6'' in shoes which is why he is listed at 6'6''. Nobody cares how tall a player is without their shoes on considering they don't play without their shoes on. 6'4.5'' without shoes, 6'5.5'' with shoes.

It was a perfect storm for Winslow to drop, doesn't knock him as a prospect at all. He should have went top 5, top 8 at the latest, but the Euros (one of which is just a bunch of potential right now) rising and the Kings drafting for need, which caused Mudiay to fall, and then SVG being stupid and MJ doing his annual dumpster fire routine in the draft caused Winslow to fall. I really don't see how it's any knock on him. Phil Jackson took the player with the most upside in the draft (and biggest risk), the Magic needed shooting and offense more than another versatile defensive wing so they took Hezonja, the Kings had to take Mudiay just like the Heat had to take Winslow, SVG as usual is a bad judge of talent, and MJ's track record in the draft speaks for itself even though in this case it's more understandable since there is overlap with MKG and Winslow, but Winslow is still a better version of MKG, if for nothing else than because he shoots better.

Years90Suns wrote:I have not seen anything special in Winslow yet.
6-5, may be, no shooting range, no good handling (or any handling)..

Yes, he is a gressive, he is a fighter, he plays defense... but, come on, he will be just a good role player in a very good scenario.

Kaminsky could be a burst, but he has many more tools than Winslow to be a good player, even a second echelon star player in this league. He is 7 or 7-1, has a long reach, can shoot, can play inside out, is intelligent (not as Winslow) and can play at least two positions.

There is no one thing specifically he does special. What's special about him is that he already does everything other than shoot midrange jumpers well at 19 and can still improve on all of those skills, on top of becoming a better off the dribble shooter. That would project him as an all around two way player in the mold of PG, Kawhi, Butler, Grant Hill, Pippen, Kobe, etc. Those guys run the league. Whether he will be able to fine tune his skills like the aforementioned were able to is another question, but the point is that he has the base and all the prerequisite tools that can't be taught to do it, and given his work ethic which has been reported to be on the same level as the great ones (and showed on the court considering he went from being a non-shooter in high school to 42% from 3 in college just one year later) I wouldn't bet against him.

He is about 6'5.5'', which can be rounded up to 6'6''. Not a big deal. Most guys aren't their listed heights. 42% from 3 says different. Not being a good shooter off the dribble and being a bad shooter in general are two different things. He showed in college he can be a spot up shooter and hit open shots when he has his feat set. He was in the 92nd percentile when unguarded. His shot is not broken like MKG's and some other guys who come out. He has good form and base and a nice high release, he just has an inconsistent hitch and isn't comfortable shooting off the dribble. Things that are some of the most fixable issues in the game and he's only 19.

To say he has no good handling or no handling at all, is pretty much saying you have never even seen him play. Or maybe you've only seen little bits of him or something and look at the way he dribbles and think he has no handles. His handles are fine. They may not be the prettiest and he isn't Harden or Curry but neither is LeBron and he makes it work. Winslow is the same way and his handles will only get better as he, you know, handles the ball more. All you have to do to see your statement isn't true is watch him on any fast break after he rebounds the ball, the numerous times he drives to the hole, or carries the ball up the court. If he didn't have handles he'd have a much higher turnover rate and he'd look comical in his fast break drives going as fast as he does.

lol Kaminsky having more tools than Winslow. Kaminsky is no where near as explosive or athletic as Winslow, doesn't play defense like Winslow, and while he is versatile for a big man he naturally isn't as versatile as a versatile wing like Winslow. You sale Winslow's super short and I can tell you haven't actually watched the kid extensively if you think Kaminsky has more tools than Winslow because he is 7'1'' and can shoot better. All those other traits you listed Winslow literally has them all. And Winslow can play 3 positions, possibly 4 in the future.

There is a reason Winslow was being talked about as a top 5 pick and it's not just because he blew the tourney out, he checks off every single box you want in a modern wing as well as the upside box. Just because he is already solid at multiple facets of the game doesn't mean he won't get better, which he will. GMs and bad teams **** up and if you look at why Winslow dropped it is because the usual suspects in the lottery passed on him and a team known for its winning culture took him. I'd very much bet on teams like the Sixers, Kings, Knicks, Hornets, and a Detroit team that just paid Reggie Jackson $80 million and thought Josh Smith was the answer to their wing problems being wrong as usual than there being a problem with Winslow.

Return to Wiretap Discussion