Cavs Have Offered J.R. Smith Less Than His Player Option

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Cavs Have Offered J.R. Smith Less Than His Player Option 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:33 pm

J.R. Smith has reportedly been offered less by the Cleveland Cavaliers than the $6.4 million player option for the 15-16 season he declined to become a free agent this offseason.

With free agency well into its second month, the Philadelphia 76ers and Portland Trail Blazers are the only other teams that can offer Smith a raise.

Smith continues to wait for the Cavaliers to improve their offer, but his best bet may be a one-year deal.

Via Terry Pluto/Cleveland Plain Dealer

Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Re: Cavs Have Offered J.R. Smith Less Than His Player Option 

Post#2 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:40 pm

Exactly as it should be. He took a gamble that he could get more on the open market, and it blew up in his face. He will now suffer by taking far less money on a title contending team or make close to his player option on another, but I don't see many takers. A guy with his past should have signed on for the last season and been thankful for the chance to make decent money on a title contender. He did not choose that option and he will now reap the rewards of that bonehead choice. Got greedy and had his hand slapped reaching for the cookie jar.
Hakimbrook46
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Hakimbrook46 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 pm

If i was on any level as JR's I'd as quick as as i can snatch up any middling offer i get without even getting to think about it 'cuz I'm no super star. LOL Maybe Smith should now bend over for Lebron to get him to get up in the talks with him like he does for Thompson. That's exactly what greed gets you! Just look what Love did. But is it 'cuz he was stupid? No, but 'cuz he knows damn well that in NBA you just fill up your pockets while you can and get outta there!
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:28 am

lol if JR wants to save face - he should pull a David West and go sign with the Spurs for the minimum. He could easily replicate or be an upgrade from the role marco bellinelli played the last two seasons. Pop has dealt with difficult personalities in the past be it stephen jackson, michael finley, robert horry or lol an obese Boris Diaw who almost ate his way out of the league.
KrisKaman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by KrisKaman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:12 am

Sam195 wrote:lol if JR wants to save face - he should pull a David West and go sign with the Spurs for the minimum. He could easily replicate or be an upgrade from the role marco bellinelli played the last two seasons. Pop has dealt with difficult personalities in the past be it stephen jackson, michael finley, robert horry or lol an obese Boris Diaw who almost ate his way out of the league.

damn @sam195. someone in this forum who makes some sense. and if he plays any better, it will bring his value higher for upcoming seasons. Then again JR would go to philly just shoot lights out and take the money.
scubaslim
Freshman

Post#6 » by scubaslim » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:52 am

Sam195 wrote:lol if JR wants to save face - he should pull a David West and go sign with the Spurs for the minimum. He could easily replicate or be an upgrade from the role marco bellinelli played the last two seasons. Pop has dealt with difficult personalities in the past be it stephen jackson, michael finley, robert horry or lol an obese Boris Diaw who almost ate his way out of the league.

in what world did Michael Finley have a difficult personality?
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#7 » by bj2323 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:01 am

Sign with the Bulls!!
I likes sports
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#8 » by nba2k16 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:32 am

KrisKaman wrote:

damn @sam195. someone in this forum who makes some sense. and if he plays any better, it will bring his value higher for upcoming seasons. Then again JR would go to philly just shoot lights out and take the money.

What makes you guys think the Spurs want JR? They need to want him. And I don't think they want a complete knucklehead

Before you say the Spurs take guys who were terrible or broken down and bring them back up again, all of those guys may have had their issues but they all had a great work ethic and the mind to play for the team. Not a chance we see that out of JR
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:46 am

nba2k16 wrote:
KrisKaman wrote:

What makes you guys think the Spurs want JR? They need to want him. And I don't think they want a complete knucklehead

Before you say the Spurs take guys who were terrible or broken down and bring them back up again, all of those guys may have had their issues but they all had a great work ethic and the mind to play for the team. Not a chance we see that out of JR

lol did you watch boris diaw in charlotte - he was packing more pounds than coach Paul Silas. Diaw had no work ethic than and got bought out. There weren't many teams interested in him but Tony Parker (his bff) convinced the spurs to sign him. He ended up getting in better shape by the playoffs and actually was a relevant contributor. Since than Diaw has resigned and become a fixture in the Spurs rotation.
KrisKaman
Ballboy

Post#10 » by KrisKaman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:19 am

Sam195 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
KrisKaman wrote:

lol did you watch boris diaw in charlotte - he was packing more pounds than coach Paul Silas. Diaw had no work ethic than and got bought out. There weren't many teams interested in him but Tony Parker (his bff) convinced the spurs to sign him. He ended up getting in better shape by the playoffs and actually was a relevant contributor. Since than Diaw has resigned and become a fixture in the Spurs rotation.

For players like JR it really depends on what kind of team and environment he is surrounded by. He's obviously not going to go to the spurs, but if he is given a chance, I think he can fit the bill. If you can shoot and be somewhat athletic (JR still got some legs left) he can def fit that system.
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#11 » by nba2k16 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Sam195 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
KrisKaman wrote:

He had bad work ethic but still was not a malcontent who does stuff like untie guys laces on the court. Diaw was just lazy, JR is a child
Mondo Sports
Freshman

Post#12 » by Mondo Sports » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:48 pm

China!!!!!!!!! aaaahhhhhahahahahahahaaaa.
bgrep14
Veteran
And1: 211

Post#13 » by bgrep14 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:36 pm

probably will get between 3-4 million
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 465

Post#14 » by 2LeTTeRS » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:28 pm

nba2k16 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:

He had bad work ethic but still was not a malcontent who does stuff like untie guys laces on the court. Diaw was just lazy, JR is a child

Just lazy? Him coming in out of shape caused him to not perform up to his abilities for seasons at a time (trust me I'm a Hornets fan). I feel thats a much bigger detriment than a few incidents of dumbassness like JR.
nba2k16
Banned User

Post#15 » by nba2k16 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:14 am

2LeTTeRS wrote:
nba2k16 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Just lazy? Him coming in out of shape caused him to not perform up to his abilities for seasons at a time (trust me I'm a Hornets fan). I feel thats a much bigger detriment than a few incidents of dumbassness like JR.

JR is easily the biggest dumbassss out there. At least Diaw eventually got it together and helped them win the chip. JR is still trying to untie shoelaces

Return to Wiretap Discussion