Doc Rivers: Losing DeAndre Was His 'Front-Office Wake-Up Call'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Doc Rivers: Losing DeAndre Was His 'Front-Office Wake-Up Call' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Doc Rivers admits losing DeAndre Jordan to the Dallas Mavericks was a "wake-up call" for how he approaches front office responsibilities. 

"Losing him would've always gnawed at me," Rivers told Yahoo Sports. "But it wouldn't have stopped me. I would've said, 'F--- that, we're going to figure out a way to get this right.' But it also triggered something else for me. It might have been my front-office wake-up call. I was not a pleasant guy to me, or my staff, after I thought we lost him – and even after we got him back. We had a lot of 'come-to-Jesus' meetings.

"I told them, and told myself: 'We've got to get f------ better. I don't care if we don't like how this was done, or we thought there was some injustice. We didn't get him. We've got to be f------ better.'

"And we rolled up our sleeves, and we got better. Listen, maybe it's because when we got here, the team was pretty good and we didn't think we had to get that much better. I don't know why. At end of the day, even the way D.J. did it, it turned out to be a blessing for our franchise. For me, it made me understand fully, 'We've got to do this f------ right, and build this team. It's our responsibility.'

"For our team, it probably fast-forwarded something that would've had to start to happen next week in training camp. … The communication."

The Los Angeles Clippers ultimately re-signed Jordan after he rescinded his agreement with the Mavericks.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Re: Doc Rivers: Losing DeAndre Was His 'Front-Office Wake-Up Call' 

Post#2 » by caronimo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:26 pm

doc must be fired up....don't really see dropping f-bombs much
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#3 » by coopnyc74 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:31 pm

Overrated pg who held back good Dominique led Hawks teams and good Ewing led Knicks teams. Overrated coach who lucked out with a perfect storm trio in Boston that got him a championship. I have never understood the hype around this dude.
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#4 » by Dynamix » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:32 pm

F- yeah, Doc, you f-in show'em how it's done!

Now what kind of coaching wake-up call will it take to stop playing Jamal heavy minutes in the playoffs?
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#5 » by Donnyxc » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:22 pm

coopnyc74 wrote:Overrated pg who held back good Dominique led Hawks teams and good Ewing led Knicks teams. Overrated coach who lucked out with a perfect storm trio in Boston that got him a championship. I have never understood the hype around this dude.

His Players want to play for him.

Also, he makes great play calls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLRiAdlzvo
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#6 » by LaRance » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 pm

I f---ing appreciate all the f-bombs Rivers lol
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#7 » by 6_Rings » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:08 pm

how much did he sign his f---- bust son?
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#8 » by Phreak50 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:11 pm

Any player would be fined for every one of those f bombs. Hope he gets his fines asap. He is a disgrace to the league.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#9 » by malgus » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Doc Rivers talks too much. So annoying.

We get it, you got Deandre back congratulations.
Jazzing
Senior
And1: 215

Post#10 » by Jazzing » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:29 pm

Phreak50 wrote:Any player would be fined for every one of those f bombs. Hope he gets his fines asap. He is a disgrace to the league.

No.

Dwyane Wade is a disgrace to the league and to the whole world. He should be in jail.

Rivers is likeable.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,352

Post#11 » by WiggOuts » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:51 pm

the fact that this came out so soon after Cuban made his comments makes me think there was some truth to what Mark was saying. Sounds like Doc is providing an explanation

Return to Wiretap Discussion