Re: Other GMs Called Danny Ferry's Hawks' Arrangement 'Golden Ticket'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Other GMs Called Danny Ferry's Hawks' Arrangement 'Golden Ticket' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:14 pm

The Atlanta Hawks hired Danny Ferry in 2012 with a six-year deal paying him $2 million annually.

The Hawks also gave Ferry guarantees they would invest into a D-League team and a new practice facility, plus he only had to report to Bruce Levenson.

Ferry's contract was one of the best ever secured by an NBA general manager with a six-year deal being almost unheard of outside of someone like Pat Riley or Gregg Popovich.

Other general managers started referring to Ferry's arrangement as the "Golden Ticket."

After Ferry was on leave following the release of insensitive remarks made from a scouting report on Luol Deng, he tried to be reinstated by the Hawks with the success the team was having on the court.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#2 » by CoreyGallagher » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:32 pm

Didn't Ferry just read a team's scouting report, verbatim, and get ostracized as a supposed racist?
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#3 » by HotelVitale » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:59 pm

CoreyGallagher wrote:Didn't Ferry just read a team's scouting report, verbatim, and get ostracized as a supposed racist?

That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes.

I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#4 » by malgus » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:09 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Didn't Ferry just read a team's scouting report, verbatim, and get ostracized as a supposed racist?

That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes.

I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).

how can you tell from an audio clip if someone is reading or not?
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,481

Post#5 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:24 pm

malgus wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Common sense. Listen to the audio.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Tue Oct 6, 2015 5:20 pm

malgus wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes. I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).
The clip isn't just the remark, it's a longer flowing conversation about free agents. Ferry brings up the remark as his own opinion while he's talking with other guys, then he explains it (and digs his hole deeper) for a while. There's never any pause or change in tone or anything, and if he's reading he's pretending not to be--and then clearly saying he understands the remark and agrees with it as his own take. If you listen to the tape, there's not much room for reasonable doubt.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by pylb » Tue Oct 6, 2015 5:32 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

The scouting report he was reading from is also available online though. He paraphrased it, but he was reading from it.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:10 pm

pylb wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes. I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).
The scouting report he was reading from is also available online though. He paraphrased it, but he was reading from it.
Sure, I could believe that he was paraphrasing something someone else wrote. But the problem is that clearly approved of it and supported it. It's not like he was saying, 'we got this one crazy report that said X,' he chose to pitch that report and that report's words as his stance.

I'm not trying to railroad or scapegoat Ferry, and I'd feel sympathy for him if he lost his job over that. I just wouldn't want to let a real criminal or a severe racist hide behind lame excuse like that, so I don't think Ferry should either.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#9 » by pylb » Tue Oct 6, 2015 6:13 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
pylb wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes. I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).
Sure, I could believe that he was paraphrasing something someone else wrote. But the problem is that clearly approved of it and supported it. It's not like he was saying, 'we got this one crazy report that said X,' he chose to pitch that report and that report's words as his stance.

I'm not trying to railroad or scapegoat Ferry, and I'd feel sympathy for him if he lost his job over that. I just wouldn't want to let a real criminal or a severe racist hide behind lame excuse like that, so I don't think Ferry should either.

Oh, I don't think what he did was right. If he lost his job over it I wouldn't really care. But his version of what happened is more or less the truth.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#10 » by Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 6, 2015 9:05 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
pylb wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: That was Ferry's story, but the audio clip is available online and he's clearly not reading. He might be borrowing it from something he read but he's pushing it off as his own opinion and explains and defends it for a couple minutes. I'm not sure he's a racist in the old sense of the word but you can't say stuff like that if you're the leader of a big company that relies solely on public support (especially one in Atlanta).

I mean, he did lose his job over it.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#11 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Oct 6, 2015 11:17 pm

golden tickets are dope as hell - all that mother **** chocolate, HELLZ YEA
BudenFerry
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#12 » by BudenFerry » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:54 am

malgus wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Why speak on something that you clearly know nothing about?

The report was released and it came from the Cavs scouting department.
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Re: Re: Other GMs Called Danny Ferry's Hawks' Arrangement 'Golden Ticket' 

Post#13 » by nba2k16 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:55 am

Sounds like there's money in racism, look how much money Ferry made as a GM and how much Sterling made on the sale of the Clippers. SMH!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Wed Oct 7, 2015 8:44 am

actually sounds like he had a pretty low paying contract, especially considering how much he helped turn around the franchise and get their money situation in order
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#15 » by ChosunX » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:31 am

HotelVitale wrote:
pylb wrote:

He was like, i can say something really un-pc and get away with it. He enjoyed saying it, but it'd very hard to reach a conclusion about his character.
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#16 » by ChosunX » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:32 am

HotelVitale wrote:

Could somebody explain to me new sense racism?
ChosunX
Banned User

Post#17 » by ChosunX » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:34 am

HotelVitale wrote:
pylb wrote:

How could a severe racist hang out with all those black people and play on the same team?
nba2k16
Banned User
And1: 212

Post#18 » by nba2k16 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:42 am

ChosunX wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
pylb wrote: The scouting report he was reading from is also available online though. He paraphrased it, but he was reading from it.

How could a severe racist hang out with all those black people and play on the same team?

Dude what are you talking about?????!

Return to Wiretap Discussion