Withdrawal Date For NBA Draft Pushed Back

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Withdrawal Date For NBA Draft Pushed Back 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 am

The NCAA Division I council has agreed to push back the date when men's basketball players must remove their names from the NBA draft until late May.

The decision goes into effect this year.

The rule change reverses a 2009 decision that had moved the date to the day before the spring signing period in early April.

This move allows players more time to gather information before making a decision.

Via Jeff Goodman/ESPN

LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Re: Withdrawal Date For NBA Draft Pushed Back 

Post#2 » by LordBaldric » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 pm

The draft lottery is May 17. If players are allowed to withdraw after that, it allows a top player's "information gathering" to include whether they want to play for the team(s) that won the lotto. This is just a bad idea all around.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Re: Withdrawal Date For NBA Draft Pushed Back 

Post#3 » by NavLDO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 pm

LordBaldric wrote:The draft lottery is May 17. If players are allowed to withdraw after that, it allows a top player's "information gathering" to include whether they want to play for the team(s) that won the lotto. This is just a bad idea all around.

But that's only true for maybe 2-3 players Max. I agree though, and that player is taking a huge risk by 'waiting' a year, 'hoping' the situation is better the next lottery. What if the team that drafts first makes great strides the next year, and a different team, purportedly even a worse situation, wins the lottery the next year. And what if said player gets a major injury the next season, 'tanking' his value--he stands to lose millions. So I see what you are saying, but again, it would only be a couple of players, I suspect, and I would hope their 'agent' or 'family' would explain the above potentialities. But you are right, this opens up issues like this, where if they left it where it was, it eliminates that type of situation from happening.

Return to Wiretap Discussion