Kobe Bryant: Things Would Have Been Very Different With Chris Paul Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kobe Bryant: Things Would Have Been Very Different With Chris Paul Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 4, 2016 5:44 pm

After the Los Angeles Lakers agreed to trade for Chris Paul in 2011, he and Kobe Bryant had a phone call that lasted about 20-30 minutes.

"You know me. My dream isn't to win games," Bryant recalled to ESPN this week. "It's like, 'How many of these titles are we going to win [together]?' Because if we don't win, we're a failure."

"It was crazy," Paul told ESPN this week. "It was exciting. We talked about potentially being teammates and all that stuff like that. Then, in the blink of an eye, gone."

The NBA vetoed the trade and Paul was ultimately traded to the Los Angeles Clippers.

Bryant and Paul would have to share the ball in the Lakers' backcourt.

"It worked for the Olympic team and stuff like that," Paul said. "I played in a lot of All-Star Games with Kobe. I don't know how many, but I remember one of them, we said, 'As long as we're both on the same team playing this game, we're not going to lose,' just because we both know how competitive we are."

"When we played together in every All-Star Game, we never f---- around," Bryant said. "It was like, 'Listen, the guys have their fun, but now let's do what we do.' I knew how competitive he was, and I knew it would be a perfect fit. We just kind of talked about what we're going to do, how we're going to scheme to get things done. Unfortunately, it never happened."

The trade is one of the biggest what-ifs of NBA history.

"Things would've been very, very, very different around here," Bryant said, "with two of the most competitive people the league has ever seen."

Via Baxter Holmes/ESPN

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Kobe Bryant: Things Would Have Been Very Different With Chris Paul Trade 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Mon Apr 4, 2016 6:47 pm

Were the Lakers still running the triangle in 2011? Because CP's strengths would have been minimalized in that offense
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#3 » by TKainZero » Mon Apr 4, 2016 6:54 pm

When David stern acted like a mad baby and pressed the reset button on the Xbox...

Basketball reasons...
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
andyjinkim
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#4 » by andyjinkim » Mon Apr 4, 2016 7:26 pm

The_Hater wrote:Were the Lakers still running the triangle in 2011? Because CP's strengths would have been minimalized in that offense

Mike Brown was head coach, so I assume no
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#5 » by Wonderllama » Mon Apr 4, 2016 8:07 pm

I'm betting the Lakers still try to get Dwight Howard after this, so no, they don't win anymore titles.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#6 » by Donnyxc » Mon Apr 4, 2016 8:53 pm

There's a reason Kobe loves Chris Paul (and Rajon Rondo). Two of the best assist-men in the game. No problem feeding him the ball :lol:

The NBA owning the Hornets franchise during the owner-switch was a weird thing.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#7 » by chakdaddy » Mon Apr 4, 2016 10:58 pm

TKainZero wrote:When David stern acted like a mad baby and pressed the reset button on the Xbox...

Basketball reasons...

Stern probably orchestrated the trade thru his puppet Demps to boost the Lakers in the first place. The rest of the league's owners, aka the Hornets' owners, decided they didn't want to give LA another gift and somehow Stern complied.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#8 » by ak7 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 1:11 am

chakdaddy wrote:
TKainZero wrote:When David stern acted like a mad baby and pressed the reset button on the Xbox...

Basketball reasons...

Stern probably orchestrated the trade thru his puppet Demps to boost the Lakers in the first place. The rest of the league's owners, aka the Hornets' owners, decided they didn't want to give LA another gift and somehow Stern complied.

And this ladies and gentleman, takes the cake for the most idiotic comment on RealGM 2016.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#9 » by Brianmas23 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 1:38 am

ak7 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

Basketball reasons...

And this ladies and gentleman, takes the cake for the most idiotic comment on RealGM 2016.

As much as i dislike Stern he was the scapegoat in this.. Owners Dan Gilbert cried fowl same with Cuban, rallied enough owners t vote against it since the owned the team. Now gilbert is maxing everyone trying to build a super team, letting Lebron run his team. Cuban cant get any free agents. Its all a joke and kind of funny to watch Karma take its course
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,158

Post#10 » by chakdaddy » Tue Apr 5, 2016 3:18 am

Brianmas23 wrote:
ak7 wrote:
chakdaddy wrote:

As much as i dislike Stern he was the scapegoat in this.. Owners Dan Gilbert cried fowl same with Cuban, rallied enough owners t vote against it since the owned the team. Now gilbert is maxing everyone trying to build a super team, letting Lebron run his team. Cuban cant get any free agents. Its all a joke and kind of funny to watch Karma take its course

Closest thing to karma was the trade getting vetoed... After lopsided trades for Wilt, Kareem, Worthy, Mychal Thompson, Pau Gasol and more *didn't* have owners willing to overrule them.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#11 » by ak7 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 3:46 am

chakdaddy wrote:
Brianmas23 wrote:
ak7 wrote:

Closest thing to karma was the trade getting vetoed... After lopsided trades for Wilt, Kareem, Worthy, Mychal Thompson, Pau Gasol and more *didn't* have owners willing to overrule them.

Not quite sure karma is the word you're looking for. Keep trying though.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#12 » by arasu » Tue Apr 5, 2016 11:19 am

chakdaddy wrote:
Brianmas23 wrote:
ak7 wrote:

If the Pau trade hadn't gone down, the Lakers would have kept Marc Gasol. I've never seen that trade as lopsided, even before Marc ever played an NBA game. His stock was rising at the time of the trade. The Lakers would have never gotten Pau without Marc in the deal.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#13 » by Brianmas23 » Tue Apr 5, 2016 4:48 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Brianmas23 wrote:
ak7 wrote:

The only way the owners were able to over rule the Paul trade, was because the league/owners owned the team, otherwise as long and the deal is within the frame work of the CBA none of the owners can do anything about it. Gilbert lead the charge stopping the trade writing another letter to the league owners saying the Lakers are making this trade and saving money to go get Howard too. What is funny is Phil Jackson said in a interview a year before, the league owning the Hornets is a bad thing because what is going to happen if they decide to trade CP3? And we all saw all the owners had a say in what a 1 team was able to do. Now Gilbert is maxing out every player he can to trying to build a super team like he was so against years ago.
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#14 » by dirtymike » Tue Apr 5, 2016 7:29 pm

chakdaddy wrote:
Brianmas23 wrote:
ak7 wrote:

The Worthy trade was not a gift...well sort of, but not really!

The Lakers did that trade for the Cleveland's first round pick...2 years prior to picking Worthy with the #1 overall pick. No one told them to be such a crappy team that year. So...after the Lakers won the championship, they had the #1 overall pick. Classic GM'ing!
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike

Return to Wiretap Discussion