Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Wolves' Job With Complete Control Of Franchise

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Wolves' Job With Complete Control Of Franchise 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:47 pm

With a determination to have full control of an organization, Tom Thibodeau is aggressively pursuing the job with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Thibodeau would like to have final say on player personnel, organizational philosophy and hirings. Currently, that is only being offered by the Wolves.

Thibodeau is willing to consider other jobs without full control if he doesn't get it with the Wolves.

Minnesota ownership is completing its meetings with Thibodeau and Jeff Van Gundy on Monday and is expected to move quickly in making an offer.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski, Chris Mannix/The Vertical

Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: Tom Thibodeau Pushing For Wolves' Job With Complete Control Of Franchise 

Post#2 » by Woody Allen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm

Wolves should definitely take Thibs and give him Gregg Popovich type of autonomy. He'd by far be the best coach the franchise has ever seen.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#3 » by NavalAviator94 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Woody Allen wrote:Wolves should definitely take Thibs and give him Gregg Popovich type of autonomy. He'd by far be the best coach the franchise has ever seen.

Coaches need a strong GM to save them from themselves. Pop is the coach and President but he has clearly shared it's a Meritocracy and he has never over ruled his GM.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#4 » by Froob » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Probably should give it to him and hope Doc didn't give him under ideas about how to GM while coaching under him...

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Mysticist
Senior
And1: 750

Post#5 » by Mysticist » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:31 pm

NavalAviator94 wrote:
Woody Allen wrote:Wolves should definitely take Thibs and give him Gregg Popovich type of autonomy. He'd by far be the best coach the franchise has ever seen.

Coaches need a strong GM to save them from themselves. Pop is the coach and President but he has clearly shared it's a Meritocracy and he has never over ruled his GM .

And how do you know this, exactly ?
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#6 » by Cicero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:48 pm

Mysticist wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:

Coaches need a strong GM to save them from themselves. Pop is the coach and President but he has clearly shared it's a Meritocracy and he has never over ruled his GM .

I mean, Buford and Pop, their relationship, and the Spurs system of meritocracy, it's on record. RC is a major part of what made the Spurs great, alongside Pop and Peter Holt. You need a strong hierarchy of shared meritocracy.
While Thibs is great and this may be tempting, not every coach makes a great GM. Doc Rivers is the greatest example of that, and even SVG has flubbed a bit. Coaches are increasingly grasping for this sort of power, but I'm not sure it's the answer, great championship teams like the Spurs and Warriors don't have a situation where one of those figures (GM or coach) is dominant over the others, they have a situation where it's a family of respected voices.
I'm not sure what the Wolves' options are in terms of head coachs, if Thibs is truly the best option willing to take the job then I might give him this deal but tbh I'd think twice, thrice, I'd keep thinking about it. The Wolves coaching spot is a juicy a$$ position that many a free floating coach looking for a job would want. I mean, this may be Minnesota, but I think as opposed to the problem with attracting free agents to a cold $hit state like that you should probably have your run of the options with all the various names floating around out there.
Who can say Thibs has what it takes to successfully run a franchise with this level of control and power? All we know about him is he's a good coach of basketball, and even then mostly in a few specific aspects of the game.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,671

Post#7 » by PDXKnight » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:02 am

I for one wouldn't give him control of player personnel decisions. The t wolves are a desirable team as they have a lot of room to grow so I don't think they need to settle for this type of agreement. I'd imagine plenty of coaches are chompin at the bit for that job
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#8 » by Woody Allen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:16 am

Oden2 wrote:I for one wouldn't give him control of player personnel decisions. The t wolves are a desirable team as they have a lot of room to grow so I don't think they need to settle for this type of agreement. I'd imagine plenty of coaches are chompin at the bit for that job

None of them are nearly as good as Tom Thibodeau.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#9 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:26 am

Oden2 wrote:I for one wouldn't give him control of player personnel decisions. The t wolves are a desirable team as they have a lot of room to grow so I don't think they need to settle for this type of agreement. I'd imagine plenty of coaches are chompin at the bit for that job

Give that to Kahn of course..

Do it Wolves . You have the young talent now get a very good coach
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#10 » by Wolf_Cry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:40 am

What are we really waiting for at this point really?
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#11 » by luss54321 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:52 am

Makes sense.

Thibodeau watched helplessly while the Bulls front office destroyed his roster and fired his most trust assistant coach.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,523

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:12 am

If Wolves get him as a coach then they are going to the playoffs next season.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#13 » by 6_Rings » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:52 pm

pretty good coach with poor time management skills. but what the hey, they have young 'stars'
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#14 » by GaaBaaBoo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Seems we have a consensus here
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,951

Post#15 » by Cassius » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm

I'd rather join the Luke Walton sweepstakes.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#16 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm

They should honestly get David Blatt since his system would be great for this young team plus he wouldn't have to worry about a certain player sabotaging his system and playing isolation ball and hopefully he would have the backing of management this time around plus he can grow with the core.

As for Thibodeau, I like the dude and he's a good basketball mind who can develop young players too, but you have to wonder especially after he had a tendency to overplay players. I wouldn't give him total control of the franchise tbh.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#17 » by NavalAviator94 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Mysticist wrote:
NavalAviator94 wrote:

Cicero had a good post on this as Pop is on record. I actually think that Thibs would be a great coach for the T-Wolves and I think they could make the playoffs next year with the talent they have. The challenge is that coaches are thinking short term because they want to win now and the GM has to think short and long. We've seen this with Doc and some initial flubs with Stan V(who I think will ultimately do a great job as he listens to his GM).

It's likely easier for Thibs in the Wolves situation because they are full of youngsters. However, once those contracts come up you really need to have careful planning. You also need to be a great talent elevator in the draft so that you can turn late picks into rotation players. The Spurs are the model. They have been in the playoffs 24 of the last 25 seasons and 18 straight since drafting Tim Duncan. A small market team that has had to manage the cap, overcome players not wanting to come there for a long time and having to depend on late draft picks to stay competitive. It's easy when you have low picks and a boat load of young talent but as they age and contracts come up, that's where you need someone to say no from time to time and think about the future.
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#18 » by mulamutti » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:20 pm

I don't think Thibs is necessarily the best coach for this/any system. He over works his players and over emphasizes effort, thus under-emphasizes smart plays, passing, easy wins etc. that's why the Bulls struggle in the regular season and do well in the playoffs. The model to follow is the Spurs and warriors, with fast moving high scoring yet defensive minded teams. Spurs/warriors also plays their stars lot less minutes and just generally use a deep rotation without overburdening a few players. Thibs drove half the Bulls to injuries and the Timberwolves are too talented. He is gonna drive them to major injuries before he drives them to contender.

He may learn over time, but shouldn't be at the Timberwolves expense, cuz they have abright future and are going to be an exciting team to watch develop.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#19 » by DET_Athletics » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 pm

i want thibs to get it, just so he can run Ricky Rubio out of town.
Cicero
Junior
And1: 156

Post#20 » by Cicero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 pm

oh god nevermind what i said, give Thibs whatever the heck he wants
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241637/Wolves-To-Interview-Mark-Jackson

Return to Wiretap Discussion