Nuggets, Bulls, Celtics Inquired About Blake Griffin

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Nuggets, Bulls, Celtics Inquired About Blake Griffin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 1, 2016 9:17 pm

The Denver Nuggets were perhaps the team who advanced furthest with the Los Angeles Clippers in exploring a trade for Blake Griffin before the trade deadline.

The offer of the Nuggets and what the Clippers were seeking for Griffin were not close and talks gained no traction.

The Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics also inquired with the Clippers on Griffin.

Griffin's injuries have played a factor in how rival teams perceive his value.

Via Sean Deveney/Sporting News

jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Nuggets, Bulls, Celtics Inquired About Blake Griffin 

Post#2 » by jlokine » Mon May 2, 2016 5:32 am

and given what had transpired, those rival teams were right. haha now the clippers got nothing in return and have an athletic big with repeated quad problem. good luck trading him now for what you want..
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Mon May 2, 2016 10:14 am

jlokine wrote:and given what had transpired, those rival teams were right. haha now the clippers got nothing in return and have an athletic big with repeated quad problem. good luck trading him now for what you want..

Blake's a top 8-9 NBA player in his prime. The Clips could hold an auction for Blake this summer and would get some massive offers from multiple teams. The better question is why wpuld Rivers trade his best asset but I guess that's what happens when you ask a coach to play GMfor you.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#4 » by GaaBaaBoo » Mon May 2, 2016 2:00 pm

Will he fix his quad first?
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#5 » by Chris3323 » Mon May 2, 2016 5:05 pm

it would make no sense to trade Blake, unless Doc just has a hard on for CP3.

If the Cavs lose this year, it makes more sense to trade CP3 for Kyrie to stay young.

The_Hater wrote:
jlokine wrote:and given what had transpired, those rival teams were right. haha now the clippers got nothing in return and have an athletic big with repeated quad problem. good luck trading him now for what you want..

Blake's a top 8-9 NBA player in his prime. The Clips could hold an auction for Blake this summer and would get some massive offers from multiple teams. The better question is why wpuld Rivers trade his best asset but I guess that's what happens when you ask a coach to play GMfor you.
The_Hater

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Mon May 2, 2016 6:37 pm

Chris3323 wrote:it would make no sense to trade Blake, unless Doc just has a hard on for CP3.

If the Cavs lose this year, it makes more sense to trade CP3 for Kyrie to stay young.

The_Hater wrote:

Blake's a top 8-9 NBA player in his prime. The Clips could hold an auction for Blake this summer and would get some massive offers from multiple teams. The better question is why would Rivers trade his best asset but I guess that's what happens when you ask a coach to play GMfor you.

Excellent point and one I was thinking about myself at the trade deadline. There are a bunch of young PG's you could trade CP3 for and really stretch the window of the Clipper's core out. Jordan and Griffin are both 27. Paul turns 31 this week. It makes more sense to keep the 2 bigs around and find younger guards to play them with.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#7 » by jlokine » Mon May 2, 2016 7:18 pm

The_Hater wrote:

i agree he is entering his prime, but his game is so dependent on his quad.. and this isnt the first time he hurt his quad.. he doesnt have the length to play like duncan, while he extended his range to 15-18ft, he still doesnt look overly comfortable there.. given he JUST had ANOTHER quad injury, you think any team is going to risk trading a lottery pick and an up-and-coming player for a guy whose game is reliant on the part of his body that gets injured the most? he is worth about what derrick rose is worth now with his knees.. a 15-18PPG and 6 asts playing 30mpg for 60games/season point guard.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon May 2, 2016 8:55 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:it would make no sense to trade Blake, unless Doc just has a hard on for CP3.

The_Hater wrote:
Blake's a top 8-9 NBA player in his prime. The Clips could hold an auction for Blake this summer and would get some massive offers from multiple teams. The better question is why would Rivers trade his best asset but I guess that's what happens when you ask a coach to play GMfor you.

Excellent point and one I was thinking about myself at the trade deadline. There are a bunch of young PG's you could trade CP3 for and really stretch the window of the Clipper's core out. Jordan and Griffin are both 27. Paul turns 31 this week. It makes more sense to keep the 2 bigs around and find younger guards to play them with.

I think Chris Paul will still be better than those guys in 4 years. High IQ PG's age well in the NBA. Nash got his first MVP at 31 and was all-NBA 2nd team at 36. John Stockton was 41 when he retired and his PER in his final year was 21.01. Almost no drop off from his career average of 21.80. I would put CP3 in that category of player and you just don't trade those guys. But you can ask Dallas about that. On the flip side, I think Griffin without CP3 is like Amare without Nash. A good player (not elite) that will become another roll player if any of his injuries linger.
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Mon May 2, 2016 9:41 pm

jlokine wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

i agree he is entering his prime, but his game is so dependent on his quad.. and this isnt the first time he hurt his quad.. he doesnt have the length to play like duncan, while he extended his range to 15-18ft, he still doesnt look overly comfortable there.. given he JUST had ANOTHER quad injury, you think any team is going to risk trading a lottery pick and an up-and-coming player for a guy whose game is reliant on the part of his body that gets injured the most? he is worth about what derrick rose is worth now with his knees.. a 15-18PPG and 6 asts playing 30mpg for 60games/season point guard.

All good points but we can't assume that he's suddenly going to have a DRose level demise here. Is trade value is still massive and players like Blake are so difficult to get that the Clips would be wise to hang onto him.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#10 » by The_Hater » Mon May 2, 2016 9:43 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I think Chris Paul will still be better than those guys in 4 years. High IQ PG's age well in the NBA. Nash got his first MVP at 31 and was all-NBA 2nd team at 36. John Stockton was 41 when he retired and his PER in his final year was 21.01. Almost no drop off from his career average of 21.80. I would put CP3 in that category of player and you just don't trade those guys. But you can ask Dallas about that. On the flip side, I think Griffin without CP3 is like Amare without Nash. A good player (not elite) that will become another roll player if any of his injuries linger.

You are likely right. I guess it would depend on who they get back but there's not much in terms of fair value
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Chris3323 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:19 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

You are likely right. I guess it would depend on who they get back but there's not much in terms of fair value

This convo was pointless since Kyrie just showed us that its better to score than always pass like CP3 does to a jj reddick
The_Hater

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I think Chris Paul will still be better than those guys in 4 years. High IQ PG's age well in the NBA. Nash got his first MVP at 31 and was all-NBA 2nd team at 36. John Stockton was 41 when he retired and his PER in his final year was 21.01. Almost no drop off from his career average of 21.80. I would put CP3 in that category of player and you just don't trade those guys. But you can ask Dallas about that. On the flip side, I think Griffin without CP3 is like Amare without Nash. A good player (not elite) that will become another roll player if any of his injuries linger.

This convo was pointless since Kyrie just showed us that its better to score than always pass like CP3 does to a jj reddick

The same Irving who couldn't make the playoffs until the best player in the world showed up?
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

The same Irving who couldn't make the playoffs until the best player in the world showed up?

Wow, this post is a blast from the past! But yeah, CP3 is still a better PG than Kyrie. Nothing has changed. Kyrie is fun to watch unless you're an open Kevin Love that's getting ridiculed for only taking 3 shots in a Finals game.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Chris3323 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:09 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yea, but I also think its due to Irving being so young early on. Lebron didnt make playoffs his 1st couple seasons either
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by Chris3323 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:This convo was pointless since Kyrie just showed us that its better to score than always pass like CP3 does to a jj reddick

Wow, this post is a blast from the past! But yeah, CP3 is still a better PG than Kyrie. Nothing has changed. Kyrie is fun to watch unless you're an open Kevin Love that's getting ridiculed for only taking 3 shots in a Finals game.

I agree CP3 is better, but my god im tired of CP3 being the 'GO-TO' closer..
People forget CP3 was cooked by Westbrook couple seasons ago in the playoffs and literally lost that series for us, he hasnt recovered since.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I agree CP3 is better, but my god im tired of CP3 being the 'GO-TO' closer..
People forget CP3 was cooked by Westbrook couple seasons ago in the playoffs and literally lost that series for us, he hasnt recovered since.

Sure, but it's hard to blame the best player on the team when he is definitely pulling more than his share of the load. The Clips were probably the most top-heavy team in the playoffs this year. Players 7-15 were essentially garbage. Not much CP3 can do about that. That's up to Doc!
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by Chris3323 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Agreed.
Doc has tried to sign veteran guys mid season every year, then dumps them.

Makes no sense.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#18 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:02 pm

CP3 has had his own share of injury problems.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Wiretap Discussion