Byron Scott Regrets Not Playing Vets More Due To Firing

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Byron Scott Regrets Not Playing Vets More Due To Firing 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 6, 2016 2:26 pm

Byron Scott was surprised by the Los Angeles Lakers' decision to fire him and wishes he would have coached differently.

Scott wishes he would have played his veterans more to chase wins even though the Lakers were rebuilding during the final seasons of Kobe Bryant.

“If I knew this was coming, I would have played Lou [Williams], Brandon [Bass] and guys like that a whole lot more,” Scott said, referring to his veterans. “They gave me the best chance to win.”

D'Angelo Russell and Julius Randle were in and out of the starting lineup.

“Young guys are young guys.” Scott said. “You hope sooner or later with all those guys that the light bulb comes on and you get that ‘aha moment’ where they can say, ‘I got it and understand what you’re talking about it. We had those moments very sparingly.”

Scott recalled the conversation he had with Mitch Kupchak when he was informed of the Lakers' decision.

“‘We’re not going to pick up your option,’” Scott recalled. “‘This is very tough. But you’ve been in this business long enough.’”

During the interview process, Scott was told the Lakers' patience would extend beyond two seasons.

“I wasn’t going to sell myself; that’s just not me. But I did bring up the fact that I thought I had at least another year with our discussions that this would be hard the first two or three years,” Scott said. “They asked if I was all right with it and I said, ‘Yeah I am. But are you guys?’ The answer back to me was, ‘Yeah, because we knew this would be tough and it would take a while.’”

Via Mark Medina/Los Angeles Daily News

baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Re: Byron Scott Regrets Not Playing Vets More Due To Firing 

Post#2 » by baldur » Fri May 6, 2016 2:35 pm

that explains why he is called as tank commander. if you have better solutions to use and if you dont, that means you lose deliberately.
JustBlaze
Starter
And1: 386

Post#3 » by JustBlaze » Fri May 6, 2016 3:23 pm

“Young guys are young guys.” Scott said. “You hope sooner or later with all those guys that the light bulb comes on and you get that ‘aha moment

No, Byron, part of being a coach is actively developing the young guys, not sitting around hoping for them to randomly get their "Aha moment".

Lou Williams and Brandon Bass weren't going greatly improve the Laker's record this season or save his job.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#4 » by MegaK » Fri May 6, 2016 3:39 pm

baldur wrote:that explains why he is called as tank commander. if you have better solutions to use and if you dont, that means you lose deliberately.

Yea, i don't think he should've said that. Either way, Lou Williams and Bass weren't going to win them too many more games. I don't think that would've changed anything but getting the young guys playing time will pay dividends next season. Scott was never the best choice as a coach but it is hardly his fault the Lakers were terrible all season long. In fact their losses are actually a gift if that gives the Lakers the chance to draft Simmons or Ingram. Both of those guys are going to be franchise level players, teaming them with the current young core of the Lakers will make the Lakers very young and fun to watch, kind of like what's happening in Minnesota right now.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#5 » by Brianmas23 » Fri May 6, 2016 3:41 pm

JustBlaze wrote:
“Young guys are young guys.” Scott said. “You hope sooner or later with all those guys that the light bulb comes on and you get that ‘aha moment

No, Byron, part of being a coach is actively developing the young guys, not sitting around hoping for them to randomly get their "Aha moment".

Lou Williams and Brandon Bass weren't going greatly improve the Lakers record this season or save his job.

Scott needs to Man Up, and stop whining. This poor me tour he is on is embarrassing.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Fri May 6, 2016 4:06 pm

Dear Mr. Scott,

You are hired because you are a bad coach. No matter how many games your team win you'll still get fired. They don't want you long term.
Maf
Starter
And1: 868

Post#7 » by Maf » Fri May 6, 2016 4:34 pm

This idiot actually believes that playing vets and winning 25 games would save his job... :crazy:
"I never played a game sober, unfortunately" - Keon Clark

"I've never drunk alcohol socially. I've never took cocain socially. I've never smoked anything socially. I did all of this... to got **** up!" - Ozzy Osbourne
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#8 » by malgus » Fri May 6, 2016 5:11 pm

he has a point.

He succeeded at tanking a little too well.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#9 » by BarneyGumble » Fri May 6, 2016 5:52 pm

Translation: "After being fired, I wish I had been a better coach."
BaggageHandler
Junior
And1: 62

Post#10 » by BaggageHandler » Fri May 6, 2016 6:13 pm

This guy

The saddest part is that he isn't even trolling because he's so (Please Use More Appropriate Word) and old school minded that he doesn't even knows what it means
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Fri May 6, 2016 7:48 pm

=What does this mean exactly? That Scott should have given more minutes to a highly inefficient Nick Young, a highly inefficient Ron Artest and the most inefficient player in the league, Kobe Bryant? The only thing funny here is that he actually thinks a altering the rotation would have made enough difference to save his job.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
bselig
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#12 » by bselig » Fri May 6, 2016 8:04 pm

"I wish I had played Lou Williams and Brandon Bass more."

Translation: "I wish I had played Artest and Kobe 40 a game until they broke down in November."
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,796

Post#13 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 6, 2016 8:25 pm

The_Hater wrote:=What does this mean exactly? That Scott should have given more minutes to a highly inefficient Nick Young, a highly inefficient Ron Artest and the most inefficient player in the league, Kobe Bryant? The only thing funny here is that he actually thinks a altering the rotation would have made enough difference to save his job.

There was an article there, you know, not just a headline. He said he would've played Lou Will and Bass more to try to squeeze out some extra wins here and there. Nothing confusing about that.

Don't get why everyone keeps mocking him; he's saying he realized that it was important to develop the younger guys but would've personally liked to compete as much as possible. The first part seems smart and the second part seems admirable.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#14 » by madmaxmedia » Fri May 6, 2016 8:32 pm

Maf wrote:This idiot actually believes that playing vets and winning 25 games would save his job... :crazy:

It would have made his firing even more of a foregone conclusion, had he played the young guys less to chase a couple more wins. He should have said "I wish I would have told Kobe not to throw up so many 3's so we could have won some more games", at least there would have been some element of truth to it.

He could have won exactly the same number of games and kept his job, had he done a much better job with the young guys.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Fri May 6, 2016 8:41 pm

And that's why you were fired ... it was lost season no matter what but wanting play players who won't be on the team next year is pretty darn bad. I think Jason kidd is what really lead the Nets to the finals.In the early 2000s.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#16 » by baldur » Sat May 7, 2016 1:12 am

MegaK wrote:
baldur wrote:that explains why he is called as tank commander. if you have better solutions to use and if you dont, that means you lose deliberately.

Yea, i don't think he should've said that. Either way, Lou Williams and Bass weren't going to win them too many more games. I don't think that would've changed anything but getting the young guys playing time will pay dividends next season. Scott was never the best choice as a coach but it is hardly his fault the Lakers were terrible all season long. In fact their losses are actually a gift if that gives the Lakers the chance to draft Simmons or Ingram. Both of those guys are going to be franchise level players, teaming them with the current young core of the Lakers will make the Lakers very young and fun to watch, kind of like what's happening in Minnesota right now.

the guy is delusional. the sad part is he seriously thinks lou williams and brandon bass would have saved his ass.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#17 » by kamaze » Sat May 7, 2016 7:42 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:And that's why you were fired ... it was lost season no matter what but wanting play players who won't be on the team next year is pretty darn bad. I think Jason kidd is what really lead the Nets to the finals.In the early 2000s.

He was a motivator" in New Jersey he had a good coaching staff Eddie Jordan, Lawrence Frank and some other guys. They left at the same time except Frank so he got the job and Frank made sure to give credit to Kidd.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#18 » by Cassius » Sat May 7, 2016 9:26 pm

"If you don't know who the Michael Scott in your office is, you're the Michael Scott in your office."

I think he's the only guy who didn't know the team was tanking, which made his terrible coaching the perfect fit.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion