76ers Were Also Drawn For Initial Second Overall Pick

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

76ers Were Also Drawn For Initial Second Overall Pick 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 18, 2016 3:16 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers won the 2016 NBA Draft Lottery and their number also came up when they drew the second overall pick.

The 76ers had the best odds in history to get the top overall pick due to their place with the worst record in the league and also owning a pick swap with the Sacramento Kings.

Sam Hinkie stepped down as general manager of the 76ers in April but he has positioned the franchise to rebuild with a considerable number of valuable future draft picks.

In next year's draft, the 76ers will have their own pick and also the Lakers' (top-3 protected).

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Melwing
Sophomore
And1: 39

Re: 76ers Were Also Drawn For Initial Second Overall Pick 

Post#2 » by Melwing » Wed May 18, 2016 3:49 pm

Am I stupid or did this 'article' not explain why they were drawn for the 2nd pick but didn't get it?
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#3 » by coopnyc74 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:51 pm

Melwing wrote:Am I stupid or did this 'article' not explain why they were drawn for the 2nd pick but didn't get it?

I'm with you buddy.
malgus
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#4 » by malgus » Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm

After reading the ESPN article cited, the NBA picks the #1 overall first so Philly moved up. They went to pick #2 and it started to be also Philly because they had so many possible combinations but they had already secured #1 so they discarded that and picked Lakers balls
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#5 » by Speedlot » Wed May 18, 2016 4:36 pm

malgus wrote:After reading the ESPN article cited, the NBA picks the #1 overall first so Philly moved up. They went to pick #2 and it started to be also Philly because they had so many possible combinations but they had already secured #1 so they discarded that and picked Lakers balls

Were they also drawn for 3rd pick? And 4th? and 14th? Weird journalism.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#6 » by DJ3thenew23 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:06 pm

"his choice"
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Post#7 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Wed May 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Melwing wrote:Am I stupid or did this 'article' not explain why they were drawn for the 2nd pick but didn't get it?
because they already won the 1st pick.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#8 » by Goner » Wed May 18, 2016 6:51 pm

The first pick is determined first in the lottery, but they don't remove all of the first team's ping-pong balls, so their team could come up again even though they don't really have the chance to secure that pick.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 18, 2016 6:57 pm

Next up- "NFL Super Bowl ref flips two heads in a row, only first one counted."
caronimo
Rookie
And1: 53

Post#10 » by caronimo » Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 pm

is this even newsworthy? this happened in previous drafts....I believe Cleveland came up more than once.
Brianmas23
Junior
And1: 25

Post#11 » by Brianmas23 » Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 pm

Goner wrote:

The first pick is determined first in the lottery, but they don't remove all of the first team's ping-pong balls, so their team could come up again even though they don't really have the chance to secure that pick.

Each team gets X amount of number combinations. The ping pong balls come out and what ever number combination comes out ( like the Lottery wins), First combo was a Philly number combo. Then they put all the balls back in and the number come out who ever has that combination gets the second pick. Which happened to be another combo that Philly had, so they reset and went again and one of the Lakers combo came out this time.They reset again and the Third pick went to Boston. They only do this to determine the top 3 picks, everything else after that goes by record.. So the team with the worst record, they worst possible pick they could get is 4th like last year when the Knicks got 4th
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#12 » by Goner » Wed May 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Brianmas23 wrote:
Goner wrote:

Each team gets X amount of number combinations. The ping pong balls come out and what ever number combination comes out ( like the Lottery wins), First combo was a Philly number combo. Then they put all the balls back in and the number come out who ever has that combination gets the second pick. Which happened to be another combo that Philly had, so they reset and went again and one of the Lakers combo came out this time.They reset again and the Third pick went to Boston. They only do this to determine the top 3 picks, everything else after that goes by record.. So the team with the worst record, they worst possible pick they could get is 4th like last year when the Knicks got 4th

Edit: misunderstood.

Return to Wiretap Discussion