Jazz Plan $100M Renovation Of Vivint Arena

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jazz Plan $100M Renovation Of Vivint Arena 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 am

The Utah Jazz plan on conducting a $100 million renovation of the Vivint Arena.

The NBA has privately suggested the Jazz start from scratch on building a new arena, but the Miller family believe a renovation is their best viable option.

“Ownership has been taking steps to ensure its world-class status and exploring options on how to invest in the facility that can be the home of the Utah Jazz and provide best-in-class guest experiences,” Frank Zang, Larry H. Miller Sports & Entertainment senior vice president of communications, told the Deseret News.

Jazz president Steve Starks said the organization has been studying the possibilities and has engaged in conversations about the arena’s future for years.

“Over the last year, we made the determination to take that discussion to the next level,” said Starks, who recently took over for retired team president Randy Rigby, in a phone interview with the Deseret News.

Via Jody Genessy/Deseret News

Hidden Eye
Pro Prospect
And1: 370

Re: Jazz Plan $100M Renovation Of Vivint Arena 

Post#2 » by Hidden Eye » Sun May 22, 2016 2:57 am

Change the team name "Jazz". Jazz has no history or relevance with Utah.
cthunshammer
Sophomore
And1: 165

Post#3 » by cthunshammer » Sun May 22, 2016 3:28 am

Hidden Eye wrote:Change the team name "Jazz". Jazz has no history or relevance with Utah.

Or not, but thank for trying anyways

I'm kind of curious as to why the NBA seems to want the Jazz to build a new building. Is it because, since they're a 'small market', owning their own building makes the rest of the league look bad? It may be one of the oldest in comparison, but it still holds a lot of people, is not run down, has a fancy new 4M jumbotron, and has great location downtown.
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#4 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sun May 22, 2016 3:30 am

Hidden Eye wrote:Change the team name "Jazz". Jazz has no history or relevance with Utah.

What's a Laker?
What do nets have to do with Brooklyn?
What do raptors have to do with Toronto?
What do cavaliers have to do with Cleveland?
What do clippers have to do with LA?
What do grizzlies have to do with Memphis?
What do hawks have to do with Atlanta?
What do kings have to do with Sacramento?
What do warriors have to do with Golden State?
What do wizards have to do with Washington?
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
irish2u2
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#5 » by irish2u2 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:18 am

DJ3thenew23 wrote:

What's a Laker?

Know your history...

The LA Lakers used to be the Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota- the land of 10,000 LAKES.
I won't even go into Brooklyn and the Nets...
Or the Raptors and Toronto...
Or even the Cavaliers. These are all arbitrarily chosen names.
The LA Clippers used to be the Buffalo Braves and then were moved to San Diego where the Clippers name was chosen by fans because of all the tall ships that passed through San Diego harbor.
The MEMPHIS Grizzlies used to be the VANCOUVER Grizzllies. They are a little closer to Grizzly habitat. :nod:
The Hawks used to be St. Louis but in truth there are Hawks in all 50 states of the United States. Yes. Including Hawaii.
The Sacramento Kings used to be the Rochester Royals, then the Cincinnati Royals then the Kansas City Kings. You can follow the line of thinking here right? The Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985 but again, the name itself is just an arbitrary choice.
The Warriors came originally from Philadelphia. Nobody is really sure where the name came from though there are Native American tribes in the Philly area. I don't think that had anything to do with the choice though.
The Wizards used to be the Baltimore Bullets. The name was changed because the Politically Correct Police objected to the name. The Wizards name was chosen by the FANS.

And finally the JAZZ. The Jazz were formerly in New Orleans before moving to Utah. The New Orleans Jazz makes sense. The Utah Jazz? Not so much. In a way I'm totally with you on this one...
It's going to get better, right?
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#6 » by imDatknicksTape » Sun May 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Im a knicks fan and I have to say the Utah Jazz, Portland Trailblazers have the most underrated fanbase ever. Their loyalty goes on different levels
DJ3thenew23
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#7 » by DJ3thenew23 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:01 pm

irish2u2 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:

What's a Laker?

Know your history...

The LA Lakers used to be the Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota- the land of 10,000 LAKES.
The LA Clippers used to be the Buffalo Braves and then were moved to San Diego where the Clippers name was chosen by fans because of all the tall ships that passed through San Diego harbor.
The MEMPHIS Grizzlies used to be the VANCOUVER Grizzllies. They are a little closer to Grizzly habitat. :nod:
The Hawks used to be St. Louis but in truth there are Hawks in all 50 states of the United States. Yes. Including Hawaii.
The Sacramento Kings used to be the Rochester Royals, then the Cincinnati Royals then the Kansas City Kings. You can follow the line of thinking here right? The Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985 but again, the name itself is just an arbitrary choice.
The Warriors came originally from Philadelphia. Nobody is really sure where the name came from though there are Native American tribes in the Philly area. I don't think that had anything to do with the choice though.
The Wizards used to be the Baltimore Bullets. The name was changed because the Politically Correct Police objected to the name. The Wizards name was chosen by the FANS.

And finally the JAZZ. The Jazz were formerly in New Orleans before moving to Utah. The New Orleans Jazz makes sense. The Utah Jazz? Not so much. In a way I'm totally with you on this one...

Yes, the Lakers used to be in Minny where it made sense. Does it make sense in LA? No.
Arbitrarily chosen names have nothing to do with the city. Again, does it make sense? No.
Clippers made sense in San Diego. Does it make sense in LA? No.
Grizzlies made sense in Vancouver. Does it make sense in Memphis? No.
Imo Hawks still has nothing to do with Atlanta but I'll give you that one.
Kings is arbitrary, has nothing to do with Sactown.
Warriors has nothing to do with Golden State.
Wizards was chosen by fans, still has nothing to do with Washington.
Jazz made perfect sense in New Orleans, but not in Utah. So? Does it matter? It's not like they are the ONLY team that has a name that doesn't make sense for their city. They don't need to change it. If the other teams don't have to change their names, and can keep the name throughout moving, why can't the Jazz? Saying they need to change it is asinine.
zeebo wrote:Is winning championships really that important?

olive_triangurl wrote:If i had to meet LeBron i'd go straight to the hypnotist to get my conscious memory wiped afterward (sadly it'd still be in my subconscious memory, as everything is, even past lives).
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#8 » by BarneyGumble » Mon May 23, 2016 7:26 pm

DJ3thenew23 wrote:
irish2u2 wrote:
DJ3thenew23 wrote:What's a Laker?

Know your history...

Yes, the Lakers used to be in Minny where it made sense. Does it make sense in LA? No.
Arbitrarily chosen names have nothing to do with the city. Again, does it make sense? No.
Clippers made sense in San Diego. Does it make sense in LA? No.
Grizzlies made sense in Vancouver. Does it make sense in Memphis? No.
Imo Hawks still has nothing to do with Atlanta but I'll give you that one.
Kings is arbitrary, has nothing to do with Sactown.
Warriors has nothing to do with Golden State.
Wizards was chosen by fans, still has nothing to do with Washington.
Jazz made perfect sense in New Orleans, but not in Utah. So? Does it matter? It's not like they are the ONLY team that has a name that doesn't make sense for their city. They don't need to change it. If the other teams don't have to change their names, and can keep the name throughout moving, why can't the Jazz? Saying they need to change it is asinine.

The Jazz scene in downtown SLC is pretty dope actually. It helps to have been to a place before commenting on it. Not an attack on you, just on the topic in general.

Return to Wiretap Discussion