Wizards To Offer Max Five-Year Contract To Bradley Beal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wizards To Offer Max Five-Year Contract To Bradley Beal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 27, 2016 3:35 pm

The Washington Wizards are expected to offer Bradley Beal a five-year deal for the maximum amount when free agency begins on July 1st.

Based on the $92 million salary cap projection teams are working with, a max contract would pay Beal around $22 million next season because he could just under 25 percent of the cap amount as a four-year veteran.

Beal earned $5.6 million last season and will have a cap hold of $14.2 million. While the Wizards hope to quickly come to an agreement with Beal, they plan on waiting to sign the deal until they pursue free agents using his cap hold as a lower cap figure.

Beal has been injury prone in his career but productive when healthy.

Beal was the third overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft out of Florida.

Via Jorge Castillo/Washington Post

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Wizards To Offer Max Five-Year Contract To Bradley Beal 

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Fri May 27, 2016 3:46 pm

I get that the Wiz have to max him out, there are just too many options for Beal to sign elsewhere on a thin free agent market. But I wouldn't go 5 years. They can still outbid everyone with 4 and Beal has had his share of health issues.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:03 pm

I would go 3 + an option on him. No way I would pay Beal 5 years, $130-135 million guaranteed.

3 years, $75 million guaranteed with 4th year for $28 million option.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,451

Post#4 » by KrazyP » Fri May 27, 2016 4:14 pm

WOW. A lot of teams are go to be stuck with players on crapola contracts over the next few years.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#5 » by Wally West » Fri May 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Ernie Grunfeld is an awful GM.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#6 » by Pedro » Fri May 27, 2016 6:19 pm

The_Hater wrote:I get that the Wiz have to max him out, there are just too many options for Beal to sign elsewhere on a thin free agent market. But I wouldn't go 5 years. They can still outbid everyone with 4 and Beal has had his share of health issues.

Setting aside that I feel hes overrated, hes very injury prone to the point where medical staff has been quoted as saying he cant handle a full 82 game season. At 22 hes already been medically labeled as a potential early retirement candidate. Hes missed around 15 games or more per season so far. He does not deserve max consideration.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#7 » by deeps6x » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Yeah, that is pretty scary. He is a net negative player. ORtg-DRtg of -5 and BPM of -0.6. When healthy.

Hell, even DeRozan has a net ORtg-DRtg of +6 and a BPM of +1.4.

Beal is Okafor/Nerlens bad. And with his injury history... just WOW. They should be looking to trade him while he has perceived value around the league, like BC seems to be trying to do with Okafor and Nerlens, instead of maxing him. Lots of teams with cap space can make the Wizards a very generous offer - if they are willing to listen.

Beal to New Orleans for #6 maybe? Who says no? #6 could wind up being Brown/Murray/Hield.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Wildcard
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#8 » by Wildcard » Fri May 27, 2016 6:40 pm

Beal has to agree to any sign and trade. Once signed by Washington he can't be dealt for a year IIRC. Does he want to go to Nola?

Also they can't even do a sign and trade until July. So this year's draft is out of the picture.

The Wizards have to pay him, because someone else will. He's guaranteed to get the 4 year "max" if he hits the open market.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#9 » by deeps6x » Fri May 27, 2016 6:57 pm

Wildcard wrote:Beal has to agree to any sign and trade. Once signed by Washington he can't be dealt for a year IIRC. Does he want to go to Nola?

Also they can't even do a sign and trade until July. So this year's draft is out of the picture.

The Wizards have to pay him, because someone else will. He's guaranteed to get the 4 year "max" if he hits the open market.

I thought it was 2 months for the hold period. How long did Wiggins have to wait?

Would beal want to play with a superstar like Anthony Davis in New Orleans or stick with Wall, who has taken them nowhere? Who knows. Yes, Beal has to choose to go to Nola, and Nola would have to want to offer to do a S&T with Washington. Because of that, it is very unlikely to happen. Even more unlikely they would give up a pick in the deal.

Flawed assumptions on my part.

That said, IF I was Beal, NOLA would be looking very attractive to me right now. And maybe a few other places as well.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
RaptorRed
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#10 » by RaptorRed » Fri May 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Eric Gordon 2.0
"We're like Tim Duncan and David Robinson," Villanueva said, following the team's morning shootaround at the America West Arena. "But a younger version. I really feel that."
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,964

Post#11 » by tmorgan » Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 pm

And the Summer of Stupid around the NBA begins...
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#12 » by Darko Miliminutes » Fri May 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Smart move Ernie! Somebody else will if you don't. Still want him as a Piston tho...
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,964

Post#13 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 27, 2016 11:37 pm

KrazyP wrote:WOW. A lot of teams are go to be stuck with players on crapola contracts over the next few years.

It's going to get bad. Players are going to get paid exorbitant amounts of money and not have the production to back it up. Several teams that are perennially mismanaged are going to invest in mediocre assets.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#14 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Sat May 28, 2016 1:13 am

Why bid against yourself before you know what the market is? I'm just blown away they didn't even see how the market plays out on him first. If someone else is willing to pay that, then you jump in and say, i'll match it or 1Up it just for 1Up's sake. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. The Wizards are screwed. That's one less team to worry about in the east. Blunt analysis: Talented player. Softy.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,964

Post#15 » by DayofMourning » Sat May 28, 2016 1:18 am

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:Why bid against yourself before you know what the market is? I'm just blown away they didn't even see how the market plays out on him first. If someone else is willing to pay that, then you jump in and say, i'll match it or 1Up it just for 1Up's sake. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. The Wizards are screwed. That's one less team to worry about in the east. Blunt analysis: Talented player. Softy.

Exactly. Bidding against themselves. They created the market.

I hope he lives up to it. He's only 22/23, so he's got time but he's more apt to play 50 games a season than 70 up to this point.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#16 » by Patsfan1081 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:29 am

Darko Miliminutes wrote:Smart move Ernie! Somebody else will if you don't. Still want him as a Piston tho...

They could but then you could just match it. Why not see if anyone offers first?
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#17 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Sat May 28, 2016 1:33 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:Why bid against yourself before you know what the market is? I'm just blown away they didn't even see how the market plays out on him first. If someone else is willing to pay that, then you jump in and say, i'll match it or 1Up it just for 1Up's sake. It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense. The Wizards are screwed. That's one less team to worry about in the east. Blunt analysis: Talented player. Softy.

Exactly. Bidding against themselves. They created the market.

I hope he lives up to it. He's only 22/23, so he's got time but he's more apt to play 50 games a season than 70 up to this point.

Yeah plus he's injury prone too. But aside from him being injury prone, I just feel like he's a softy. When I see him play and see my team playing against him, I get the sense that nobody is afraid of him outside of him having a hot shooting night. He's just soft. if another team offers 17 mil and that's the highest, you counter with 17.5 and thats the end of it. You dont just drop 22 like that. That's crazy.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#18 » by Par36 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:12 am

Makes me feel better about whatever Demar gets paid this off season. If the guy was healthy you could gamble on him becoming more consistent..
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#19 » by Dino353 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 pm

They have no choice if they want to contend next season. The chemistry Beal and Wall have could only be rivaled to Klay and Steph's chemistry. Both Wall and Beal alone could get Washington to a Eastern Conference Finals matchup with Cleveland next season. Plus we can expect Otto Porter to have a breakout under Scott Brooks next season, he'll most likely unlock Porter's number 3 overall potential and the Wizards will be a top 3 seed in the East if that happens. Their starting 5 is as good as any in the East with the exception of the Cavaliers, John Wall and Bradley Beal are all-stars with superstar potential, lets not forget they are both still young. Markieff Morris is the ideal power forward for today's game and they got a solid center in Gortat who can defend, block shots, and score around the basket.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#20 » by Fresh360Waves » Sat May 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Dino353 wrote:They have no choice if they want to contend next season. The chemistry Beal and Wall have could only be rivaled to Klay and Steph's chemistry. Both Wall and Beal alone could get Washington to a Eastern Conference Finals matchup with Cleveland next season. Plus we can expect Otto Porter to have a breakout under Scott Brooks next season, he'll most likely unlock Porter's number 3 overall potential and the Wizards will be a top 3 seed in the East if that happens. Their starting 5 is as good as any in the East with the exception of the Cavaliers, John Wall and Bradley Beal are all-stars with superstar potential, lets not forget they are both still young. Markieff Morris is the ideal power forward for today's game and they got a solid center in Gortat who can defend, block shots, and score around the basket.

It's all gonna depend on Markieff and Porter. They have to REALLY make strides next season or they'll just continue to tread to mediocrity. Gortat, you already know what you'll get from him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion