Dirk Nowitzki Re-Signs With Mavs On Two-Year, $50M Deal

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dirk Nowitzki Re-Signs With Mavs On Two-Year, $50M Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Dirk Nowitzki and the Dallas Mavericks have finalized his new contract worth $50 million over two seasons.

Via Marc Stein/ESPN

sunevisions
Pro Prospect
And1: 107

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Re-Signs With Mavs On Two-Year, $50M Deal 

Post#2 » by sunevisions » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:16 pm

Cuban should be the best Owner for loyal player~~

Especially compare with Wade~~
Rated T By CBRA
Starter
And1: 163

Post#3 » by Rated T By CBRA » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Respect to both Cuban and Dirk, they know their priorities. I was hoping Wade and the Heat would have a mutual understanding..but its extremely rare to see nowadays.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#4 » by LaRance » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:29 pm

:D Mark Cuban is playing Chess. He thinks he's slick. he's trying to tell the players in the league that here In Dallas we take care of our veteran's and super stars unlike Miami Heat. So Come to Dallas!!.... I guarantee you he had that on his mind when he gave dirk this new deal :nod:
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#5 » by bran muffin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:58 pm

So who was the cynic who claimed that Loyalty only runs one way? Here we have Mark & Dirk showing the league that loyalty between a franchise and a player can run both ways.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#6 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:35 pm

This is now his golden parachute contract ala Kobe. Tried and tried to give the money to big free agents to send him off in style, failed, so will just be running the Dirk retirement show for a few years I guess.

Also the contract Riley wasn't willing to give DWade because he wanted to get on with his rebuild.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 383

Post#7 » by hyberx » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 pm

LaRance wrote::D Mark Cuban is playing Chess. He thinks he's slick. he's trying to tell the players in the league that here In Dallas we take care of our veteran's and super stars unlike Miami Heat. So Come to Dallas!!.... I guarantee you he had that on his mind when he gave dirk this new deal :nod:

And Mark Cuban shouldn't be doing that because?

This is what every team should be doing if they want to attract good players in the future. Not only you reward your franchise player with what they deserved, you also build your brand. It's a win-win situation if you have a long term view of your team. It doesn't have to be playing chess, it's simply brand building like any business. If you demand loyalty from the player to stay and play for one team going through the thick and thin, then the team had better be ready to do the same in return when the player is no longer in his prime.

Kudos to Cuban and the Mavs for doing the right thing. Dirk took the big pay cut for the team and stayed loyal, so he should be rewarded/repaid. This shows you even more when comparing to Pat Riley and the Heat. It's not like the heat is going anywhere the next couple years even if they get to short change Wade for a few million bucks. No way in hell they can use loyalty to make a good player to stay or go to Miami in the future.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#8 » by Marionettetc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:48 pm

There's really nothing clever or "loyal" about this contract. The Mavs know they are going nowhere (like the Lakers) and decided to punt with a big contract to a retiring star (like the Lakers).
bran muffin
Starter

Post#9 » by bran muffin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Marionettetc wrote:There's really nothing clever or "loyal" about this contract. The Mavs know they are going nowhere (like the Lakers) and decided to punt with a big contract to a retiring star (like the Lakers).

Dirk is not worth $50M 2-year contract at age 38. The Mavs are obviously compensating him for the discounts he'd been giving them since 2010.

When you're paying a player for things that were done in the past, that's loyalty.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#10 » by likashing » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:52 pm

The Mavs' "loyalty" only applies for Nowitzki.

If you are just a one-time-champ starting center like Tyson Chandler, they won't give a damn about you.

Chandler got second-fiddle treatment twice from the Mavs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13794739/mark-cuban-says-tyson-chandler-right-salty-dallas-mavericks

Players around the league are well aware of this, and that's why they never get the top FAs in the last few summers despite all the cap space.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
bran muffin
Starter

Post#11 » by bran muffin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:18 am

likashing wrote:The Mavs' "loyalty" only applies for Nowitzki.

If you are just a one-time-champ starting center like Tyson Chandler, they won't give a damn about you.

Lol... what a silly comparison.

If you wanted to bash the Mavs for not being loyal to one of their own, you could've picked another player --- like Steve Nash for example. But in 2011, Tyson Chandler had only been a Mav for all of 11 months. I don't know why you'd think they owe him "loyalty" for that.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,048

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:37 am

Chandler got second-fiddle treatment twice from the Mavs.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13794739/mark-cuban-says-tyson-chandler-right-salty-dallas-mavericks

Players around the league are well aware of this, and that's why they never get the top FAs in the last few summers despite all the cap space.

but Parsons was the second-fiddle. And didnt they max him? then he opted out after being hurt on a max deal and left for a big deal. Parsons has no room to complain
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#13 » by Mobby » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:16 am

For years they've been using this Dirk "NoBrowitzki" picture.

Can't they get the rights to a less creepy shot?
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#14 » by Marionettetc » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:16 am

bran muffin wrote:
Marionettetc wrote:There's really nothing clever or "loyal" about this contract. The Mavs know they are going nowhere (like the Lakers) and decided to punt with a big contract to a retiring star (like the Lakers).

Dirk is not worth $50M 2-year contract at age 38. The Mavs are obviously compensating him for the discounts he'd been giving them since 2010.

When you're paying a player for things that were done in the past, that's loyalty.

I know he's not worth 25m/year right now, and I am saying the same thing you are. I just don't consider it "loyal" because it only has to do with business. When Cuban thought he could put a team together to win he was all about paying Dirk less, and now that he knows the window is gone he's fine paying him more.

I bet if they were able to acquire better free agents this summer Dirk wouldn't be getting 25m right now.
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#15 » by likashing » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 am

bran muffin wrote:

Lol... what a silly comparison.

If you wanted to bash the Mavs for not being loyal to one of their own, you could've picked another player --- like Steve Nash for example. But in 2011, Tyson Chandler had only been a Mav for all of 11 months. I don't know why you'd think they owe him "loyalty" for that.

Yes, that explained why he got treated before he headed to Phoenix.

Like I said, the players know these stuff. That's the bottom line. Doesn't matter what you say.

You can dream like a little kid that the Mavs and Cuban being loyal and the big name FAs feel this way, but that's not the reality as evidenced by all the big name FAs that didn't even consider the Mavs' $ - given all the tax advantage (more $) etc.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#16 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 pm

bran muffin wrote:

I don't know where the Mavs are in terms of payroll right now but I doubt they are going into the tax for this. They struck out on the FA market and they have to reach the salary floor somehow. They have to spend the money anyway... they may as well pay Dirk. This is not like the salary anchor that pulled the Lakers to the bottom.

Return to Wiretap Discussion