C.J. McCollum Agrees Upon Four-Year, $106M Max Extension

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

C.J. McCollum Agrees Upon Four-Year, $106M Max Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:18 pm

C.J. McCollum and the Portland Trail Blazers have agreed upon a four-year, $106 million maximum contract extension.

The deal contains no options or trade kickers for McCollum.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

bselig
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: C.J. McCollum Agrees Upon Four-Year, $106M Max Extension 

Post#2 » by bselig » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Why did this franchise all of a sudden become an utter disgrace?
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Congrats CJ. The jump this kid made in his 3rd year was incredible to watch....
4 years 100 million has a much better ring to it than 4 years 10 million. American dream.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Wow, teams really are handing out max deals this year like candy.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
coopnyc74
Pro Prospect
And1: 451

Post#5 » by coopnyc74 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Even with this monopoly money McCollum has yet to prove he is a max cat, I guess Portland realizes it will be hard to attract top tier free agents there.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 383

Post#6 » by hyberx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 pm

coopnyc74 wrote:Even with this monopoly money McCollum has yet to prove he is a max cat, I guess Portland realizes it will be hard to attract top tier free agents there.

Agreed.

McCollum is hella a scorer, but he is not much a factor on defense given his size. Comparing to Klay Thompson, Klay's contract is such a bargain now. :roll:
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,558

Post#7 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:02 pm

So I guess this means they're trading Crabbe in 12 months.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,670

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:09 pm

hyberx wrote:
coopnyc74 wrote:Even with this monopoly money McCollum has yet to prove he is a max cat, I guess Portland realizes it will be hard to attract top tier free agents there.

Agreed.

McCollum is hella a scorer, but he is not much a factor on defense given his size. Comparing to Klay Thompson, Klay's contract is such a bargain now. :roll:

Players get what the market will bear and I think with what teams were paying this off season it's pretty easy to imagine a team giving cj a max deal in one season. Also cj is portlands second best player so it had to be done
wind1975
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#9 » by wind1975 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:49 pm

Most fans of NBA basketball would only be able to say 'yes' they've heard of C.J. McCollum......they couldn't say if he was good or bad.........to me that says something.......Lilliard is well known...C.J....not so much........my point.........that's a ton of money for someone like this...
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#10 » by Khazim » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:22 pm

wind1975 wrote:Most fans of NBA basketball would only be able to say 'yes' they've heard of C.J. McCollum......they couldn't say if he was good or bad.........to me that says something.......Lilliard is well known...C.J....not so much........my point.........that's a ton of money for someone like this...

I really don't follow that logic... Just because east-coasters and casual fans can't stay up to watch CJ doesn't somehow make him less valuable... He's not quite as marketable as Lillard, and not the level of leader he is, but he's arguably just as good a basketball player. It's a lot of money, and will really suck if he gets hurt, but he's a hell of a basketball player whether people are ignorant of it or not.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." — Frank Zappa
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,423

Post#11 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm

wind1975 wrote:Most fans of NBA basketball would only be able to say 'yes' they've heard of C.J. McCollum......they couldn't say if he was good or bad.........to me that says something.......Lilliard is well known...C.J....not so much........my point.........that's a ton of money for someone like this...

Sounds like your point is most 'fans' like yourself need to watch games. LOL

By your logic Kobe should make 30 million dollars next years since you know most NBA fans know him more than anyone.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#12 » by luss54321 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:09 pm

If you don't know whether CJ McCollum is good or bad then I wouldn't exactly call you an NBA fan... Maybe a very casual fan... but he averaged 20 PPG and played in 11 playoff games putting up big time numbers.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#13 » by D21 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:28 pm

hyberx wrote:

Agreed.

McCollum has the best On/Off court ratio of POR at +6.3pts (Lillard is at +2.6pts) so his defense is not the main problem of POR
He deserves a good contract, but maybe not a 0-6 Max
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:So I guess this means they're trading Crabbe in 12 months.

Crabbe's contract may be untradeable if he doesn't continue to develop. But CJ starts at SG and moves to PG when Lillard rests. It's a solid 3-man rotation at the guard spots. Plus Crabbe gets some time at SF. They do have a lot of money tied up at the 1, 2 and 3 spots but there are plenty of minutes to go around. I suspect they will try and trade several cheaper pieces for an all-star caliber 4 or 5.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:39 pm

D21 wrote:
hyberx wrote:

Agreed.

McCollum has the best On/Off court ratio of POR at +6.3pts (Lillard is at +2.6pts) so his defense is not the main problem of POR

IDK. Lillard is essentially a poor man's Westbrook. CJ may turn out to be the better player in the long run. And no, he doesn't shoot like Klay... but Klay doesn't have CJ's handles either. Their games are not similar enough to make a valid comparison.
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#16 » by haste10176 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:37 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
D21 wrote:
hyberx wrote:Agreed.

IDK. Lillard is essentially a poor man's Westbrook. CJ may turn out to be the better player in the long run. And no, he doesn't shoot like Klay... but Klay doesn't have CJ's handles either. Their games are not similar enough to make a valid comparison.

Funny you calling Lillard a poor mans RW when I remember lillard leading his teams to finals last year and RW unable to the year that Durant was out.. Got to look at how a player brings others into the game not just stats... RW can average a Triple Double every night but it is not always getting his team wins...
Newzfeed4U
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Newzfeed4U » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 am

luss54321 wrote:

If you don't know whether CJ McCollum is good or bad then I wouldn't exactly call you an NBA fan... Maybe a very casual fan... but he averaged 20 PPG and played in 11 playoff games putting up big time numbers.

He's had one good season this year. I agree it's a lot of money for someone who has been injured and playing off the bench when they still had aldridge...he hasn't made much of mark with the trailblazers yet. When I think of Portland, it's still Lillard's team. Don't get me wrong, he's efficient as it comes but he doesn't deserve a 100 mill contract. Someone like that should have at least made the All-Star team.
wind1975
Ballboy

Post#18 » by wind1975 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Newzfeed4U wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

He's had one good season this year. I agree it's a lot of money for someone who has been injured and playing off the bench when they still had aldridge...he hasn't made much of mark with the trailblazers yet. When I think of Portland, it's still Lillard's team. Don't get me wrong, he's efficient as it comes but he doesn't deserve a 100 mill contract. Someone like that should have at least made the All-Star team.

I watch a ton of basketball........east coast and west coast teams......he's just not worth this kind of money.......if you buy a jersey.....will it say McCollum on the back?....NO! I didn't say that I didn't know who he was......read, comprehend, apply.......you struggle there.... obviously...this type of contract will hurt this team down the road....
wind1975
Ballboy

Post#19 » by wind1975 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:24 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:

Sounds like your point is most 'fans' like yourself need to watch games. LOL

By your logic Kobe should make 30 million dollars next years since you know most NBA fans know him more than anyone.

Build your team......is McCollum on it? He's very limited outside of scoring.......he's just not worth this kind of money....if Lilliard left for another team, this guy would be even more exposed......Lilliard draws a ton of attention, which opens guys like this up for easier buckets... you would put your best defender on Lilliard.......and an average defender on McCollum...
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,896

Post#20 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:43 pm

$26.5 million a year for this guy?

Return to Wiretap Discussion