Dirk Nowitzki Taking Year-By-Year Approach To Future

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dirk Nowitzki Taking Year-By-Year Approach To Future 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Dirk Nowitzki signed a two-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks this offseason but he's still taking his playing future on a year-by-year basis.

“I always said I wanted to kind of take it year-by-year. Signing a two-year deal doesn’t mean I necessarily have to play those two years. I think we’ll see how next year goes, how the body responds and then we’ll make that decision again next year,” Nowitzki said. “But obviously, I would love to play the next two years and then just see how it goes.”

Last season, Nowitzki played 75 games for Dallas and averaged 18.3 points and 6.5 rebounds in just over 31 minutes per night.

The Mavericks were unable to sign Mike Conley and Hassan Whiteside but they did acquire Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut.

“Hopefully for the next two years [I’m] still doing some of the same things I was going to be able to do last year, just be able to help the guys spread the floor, maybe some timely baskets here and there and maybe get a rebound every now and again,” he said.

Via Stephen Hunt/Today's Fastbreak

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: Dirk Nowitzki Taking Year-By-Year Approach To Future 

Post#2 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:34 pm

“Hopefully for the next two years [I’m] still doing some of the same things I was going to be able to do last year, just be able to help the guys spread the floor, maybe some timely baskets here and there and maybe get a rebound every now and again,” he said.

Lol ya right Dirk, ur gonna carry this team just like you always do, you humble bastard
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:

Lol ya right Dirk, ur gonna carry this team just like you always do, you humble bastard

He's still pretty good to be 38 years old. Durable as ever and his points and rebounds per 100 possessions nearly match his career averages despite still playing a lot of minutes, especially in the new relative NBA where minutes are down for about everyone.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:19 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:

I think the mavs will be interesting to watch next year - just to see the expected emergence of Harrison Barnes as a likely #1 or 1A option alongside Dirk next year after playing a supporting role on the dubs the first four seasons of his career. People seem to forget that Barnes was once the top high school prospect in the nation and was the consensus #1 pick for the 2011 nba draft ahead of Kyrie and Derrick Williams. Barnes drew comparisons to Paul Pierce who was also not properly coached/utilized by Roy Williams at Kansas who happened to also be Barnes Coach at UNC. However, Barnes decided to go back to college for his sophomore year both for educational (he was an honors student) and professional (he didn't believe he was ready for nba) reasons. That sophomore season - Barnes took a dip with his offensive stats but improved as a defender, however his draft stock fell with the emergence of freshman talent like Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal and MKG as well as other prospects. Now Barnes has experience in the nba and a championship ring as the foundation for what might be a career defining season - mavs definitely believe in him by paying him a 4 yr 95M max deal. Barnes is my pick to win most improved nba player next year.

Return to Wiretap Discussion