Rudy Gay To Opt Out, Unlikely To Have Interest In Re-Signing With Kings

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rudy Gay To Opt Out, Unlikely To Have Interest In Re-Signing With Kings 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Rudy Gay has informed the Sacramento Kings he intends to opt out and is unlikely to have interest in re-signing during the 2017 offseason.

Gay holds a $14.3 million player option for the 2017-18 season. He’ll make $13.3 million this season.

The Kings have no interest in trading away Gay without a substantial package in return.

The Kings could wait until deeper into the season before moving Gay.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Re: Rudy Gay To Opt Out, Unlikely To Have Interest In Re-Signing With Kings 

Post#2 » by meekrab » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:22 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Kings have no interest in trading away Gay without a substantial package in return.

And this is how teams talk themselves into winding up with nothing.
Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Post#3 » by Pedro » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:59 pm

meekrab wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Kings have no interest in trading away Gay without a substantial package in return.

I think its a typical desperate ploy to draw interest from a desperate GM but its obvious to all that no team is more desperate than they are.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:11 pm

Pedro wrote:
meekrab wrote:

I think its a typical desperate ploy to draw interest from a desperate GM but its obvious to all that no team is more desperate than they are.

They got a first rounder for Marco Bellinilli. I certainly think he is better than that even on a 14 million dollar contract which is less than average starter money today.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:21 pm

He'll be gone by trade deadline at the latest or the Dec 15th trade limit window lifting. Kings need to see how they start first 20-25 games to see if they will be a WC playoff contender.

He is worth a 1st rounder, lottery protected, no doubt along with an expiring contract.
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#6 » by Ferulci » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:31 pm

Will the "We are suddenly better now that we traded Rudy Gay" streak keep going on ?
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
cambomvmt
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#7 » by cambomvmt » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:58 pm

Ferulci wrote:Will the "We are suddenly better now that we traded Rudy Gay" streak keep going on ?

Its the kings so safe to say they'll still be bad, just maybe a little less bad without gay
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#8 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Do it mitch
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Not gonna get much now. :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:43 pm

12footrim wrote:
Pedro wrote:
meekrab wrote:And this is how teams talk themselves into winding up with nothing.

They got a first rounder for Marco Bellinilli. I certainly think he is better than that even on a 14 million dollar contract which is less than average starter money today.

That was the Hornets making a TERRIBLE trade. That does not set the value of other players. I'm not giving much for a guy that is a sure thing to opt out. Rudy probably thinks he's worth a max contract.
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#11 » by damecurry » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:14 am

12footrim wrote:
Pedro wrote:
meekrab wrote:And this is how teams talk themselves into winding up with nothing.

First, 14m is right about at average starter money under the current cap.
Second, Rudy Gay is a below average starter with nowhere to go but down. He a moderate asset at best.
Third, The bellinelli debacle was just a ridiculously bad move by charlotte, it was not indicative of the value of a mid/late 1st round pick. Marco should've been worth a 2nd or two at most and Gay, as you stated, is making way more money than marco. He's certainly a better player but I wouldn't consider giving up a 1st round pick unless I'm a contender who thinks he'll make me better. And what contenders would think Gay will make them better who has the unnecessary salary to offload to get him?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:14 am

Pedro wrote:
meekrab wrote:

And yet they watched both Thomas and Rondo walk for nothing. This isn't the smartest group of asset managers in the league.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#13 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:28 am

The_Hater wrote:
Pedro wrote:

And yet they watched both Thomas and Rondo walk for nothing. This isn't the smartest group of asset managers in the league.

A clue dude. Total different management for Thomas and Rondo was a negative on the court
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:46 am

Kings2013 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Pedro wrote:I think its a typical desperate ploy to draw interest from a desperate GM but its obvious to all that no team is more desperate than they are.

A clue dude. Total different management for Thomas and Rondo was a negative on the court

Same dysfunctional ownership group.

While it's obvious you're a Kings fan, defending terrible decisions with poor logic doesn't make you look smart. If you want to know why your team is In the lottery every season, it's terrible asset management like this.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:23 am

damecurry wrote:
12footrim wrote:
Pedro wrote:I think its a typical desperate ploy to draw interest from a desperate GM but its obvious to all that no team is more desperate than they are.

Second, Rudy Gay is a below average starter with nowhere to go but down. He a moderate asset at best.
Third, The bellinelli debacle was just a ridiculously bad move by charlotte, it was not indicative of the value of a mid/late 1st round pick. Marco should've been worth a 2nd or two at most and Gay, as you stated, is making way more money than marco. He's certainly a better player but I wouldn't consider giving up a 1st round pick unless I'm a contender who thinks he'll make me better. And what contenders would think Gay will make them better who has the unnecessary salary to offload to get him?

He's played at borderline all star for most his career here and is entitled to some slack under Karl where he had trouble with the system

I think a lot of your basis is on his reputation from what I've seen..

He's not being moved because his market doesn't match his talent as of now, that's true
Kings2013
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Kings2013 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:51 am

The_Hater wrote:
Kings2013 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Same dysfunctional ownership group.

While it's obvious you're a Kings fan, defending terrible decisions with poor logic doesn't make you look smart. If you want to know why your team is In the lottery every season, it's terrible asset management like this.

Like what? What do those two things, one of which IMO isn't a negative have to do with Rudy's situation? What's the bad assett management here, other than the continued pile on of the team?
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#17 » by damecurry » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:12 am

Kings2013 wrote:
damecurry wrote:
12footrim wrote:

He's played at borderline all star for most his career here and is entitled to some slack under Karl where he had trouble with the system

I think a lot of your basis is on his reputation from what I've seen..

He's not being moved because his market doesn't match his talent as of now, that's true

He had a pretty good year two years ago i fully admit, he was a plus player. "Borderline all star" is a nonsense phrase which means nothing to me but id say he was an above average starter that year. And if you wanna cut him a break on last year fine, but as i said hes a 30 year old whos best years are almost certainly behind him. He does not really possess the 3&d skillset teams want now, hes best when hes dominating the ball to create his own 18 foot jumper which the game is really moving away from etc. Not saying hes a worthless player but he has little to no track record of making teams better, until hes traded from them, then they seem to skyrocket, obviously that could be coincidental but still, answer me this, what team could really benefit from his addition? And if he doesnt get traded hell likely hurt your team this year by sulking and then walk for nothing so... have fun with that
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#18 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am

The Spurs and Thunder could really use the guy and make everybody else look stupid.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#19 » by deeps6x » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Pedro wrote:
meekrab wrote:

Gay, are you doing this to embarrass your team? Just ask for a trade. By going public a year early, it is kind of too bad that you don't have to forfeit your option the following season.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
gokings2010
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#20 » by gokings2010 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 pm

The guy is an idiot.he dominates the ball and only cares about Rudy. I'm happy to see him go and be nice to get something for him although he's no very valuable. The fact he wants the organization to communicate with him is beyond stupid. Do your job and play basketball. If front office needs to tell you something they certainly will.
Why did he get upset he was in trade rumors when he wanted out anyways? Please get something for him.#gladhesGONE

Return to Wiretap Discussion