Re: Kyle Lowry Trying Not To Worry About Free Agency Until Summer

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyle Lowry Trying Not To Worry About Free Agency Until Summer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:45 pm

Kyle Lowry will be a free agent this offseason and was recently asked if he wants to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors.

"When the time comes, then I will worry about it," said Lowry. "It definitely will be an option. It's definitely home. I have been given the keys to it, [and it's where] I have been most successful. When that time comes, I'll think about it, but for now I just want to keep winning and try to get to that next level and take it game by game and day by day."

The Raptors traded for Lowry in 2012 from the Houston Rockets and re-signed him in 2014.

Lowry figures to receive a much more lucrative contract in free agency this time than the four-year, $48 million deal he signed in 2014.

Lowry had to wait until his fifth season to become a full-time starter.

"I feel like the last couple of years, everything has been happening the right way mostly because I have done everything that I was supposed to be doing. Just be a professional, go out there and work every single night and be me and have fun and just provide. Have fun, be with your teammates and your family and not worry about anything but having fun and winning games. At this time of the year, at this point in my life, it is about continuing to try to grow as much as possible and winning. Winning at the highest level. Winning a ring would be the ultimate goal, the ultimate feel-good."

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#2 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm

I think a 4 year, $110 million deal would be a fair offer from Toronto. Would be hesitant to give him a 5th year
Tanks1
Junior
And1: 260

Post#3 » by Tanks1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Sixers!!!! Come home....
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#4 » by jlokine » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:I think a 4 year, $110 million deal would be a fair offer from Toronto. Would be hesitant to give him a 5th year

he'd get that under the old CBA and cap. not with this new cap. he's getting 130/5 yrs.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#5 » by Sam195 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 am

jlokine wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:I think a 4 year, $110 million deal would be a fair offer from Toronto. Would be hesitant to give him a 5th year

he'd get that under the old CBA and cap. not with this new cap. he's getting 130/5 yrs.

He's getting more - his agent is eyeing the deal Mike Conley Jr got with Memphis as a comparison 5 years 153M (fully guaranteed in an income tax free state). Also he is from Philly and Sixers need a pg. Bryan Colangelo who traded for him as raptors GM is still a big fan of his. I see BC offering him whatever the 4 year max will be next year - he fills a need for sixers both on court and from a business perspective. He is also a veteran voice that would resonate with the young talent on their roster being another selling point. Raptors will have no choice but to offer a 5th year to remain competitive in negotiations. Sixers will probably offer 130M/4 or more based on next year's cap.
AyAyRon
Junior
And1: 835

Post#6 » by AyAyRon » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:55 am

Sam195 wrote:
jlokine wrote:

He's getting more - his agent is eyeing the deal Mike Conley Jr got with Memphis as a comparison 5 years 153M (fully guaranteed in an income tax free state). Also he is from Philly and Sixers need a pg. Bryan Colangelo who traded for him as raptors GM is still a big fan of his. I see BC offering him whatever the 4 year max will be next year - he fills a need for sixers both on court and from a business perspective. He is also a veteran voice that would resonate with the young talent on their roster being another selling point. Raptors will have no choice but to offer a 5th year to remain competitive in negotiations. Sixers will probably offer 130M/4 or more based on next year's cap.

As much as going home sounds great, Lowry still wants to win. I probably see Philly as his 4th or 5th option.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#7 » by Rhythm043 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:13 am

When the time comes he'll worry about it. Lol. These guys have nothing to worry about...at all. So overpaid but again they are the NBA product and the league is making so much money it's not even funny.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 pm

AyAyRon wrote:
Sam195 wrote:
jlokine wrote:

As much as going home sounds great, Lowry still wants to win. I probably see Philly as his 4th or 5th option.

He's been underpaid or been under performing his entire career - his next contract is likely his last chance for a big payday. If raptors play hard ball in negotiations and there is a significant gap from his market value (regardless if he lives up to it) than he will just walk maybe even to the highest bidder. Hometown Discounts in this era only apply to annual salary on a contract - players and especially their agents want more guaranteed money overall in those proposals. Example - Derozan was eligible for the same max deal Conley Jr signed in Memphis 5 years 153M but he settled for 5 years 130M which is still more guaranteed money overall because had Derozan signed a max deal with another team like the lakers - he would have only been eligible for 4 years 113M (Al Horford Boston Contract). Note that the cap is higher next summer so Lowry's max figure on the open market will be a lot higher.
JCruz6
Junior
And1: 20

Post#9 » by JCruz6 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I heard Cleveland needs a point guard
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#10 » by ontnut » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Sam195 wrote:
jlokine wrote:

You think if the Raptors offered the same 4 year deal as the Sixers, that Lowry would choose to go the Sixers? Um.
Let's not forget, Derozan is also signed to a long term contract, and those two are brothers. It's not like Lowry would be re-signing with doubts about the roster. That all-star backcourt would be in place for the duration of his contract, or until he retires.
The Sixers have a nice future, but they're still at least 2, if not 3+ years away from being where the Raptors are. By that time, Lowry will be what, 33-34? I don't think he's willing to go from an EC Finalist to a fringe playoff contender for the last 2 years of what remains of his prime.

Return to Wiretap Discussion